Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Bushwacker fender flares over existing fender modifications?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 High Output
Default Installing Bushwacker fender flares over existing fender modifications?

Hello there!

I cannot find any threads specifically addressing my issue on the forums so I thought I would reach out to anyone who has come across this issue before.

The previous owner of my XJ had the fenders professionally cut and folded which allows the 33 in tires more clearance. As I want to put on Bushwacker flares, my question is: Is this possible due to the preexisting cuts? I know that you have to cut the fenders already in order to fit on the flares but I was wondering how hard it would be to get them on or what modifications I would have to do to get them to fit over the previous cuts and folded sheet metal.

Thank you in advance!
T
Attached Thumbnails Installing Bushwacker fender flares over existing fender modifications?-image.jpg  
Old 07-02-2014, 03:38 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I can't help answer your question but you may want to specify which bushwackers your looking at as they may mount differently
Old 07-02-2014, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cherospeed99
I can't help answer your question but you may want to specify which bushwackers your looking at as they may mount differently
Thanks for the advice! I am looking at getting the cut out style Bushwacker flares. Here's a link to clarify:

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Fender-Fl...FRWVfgodd1cA0Q
Old 07-03-2014, 12:31 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.6L Stroker

Ya it should mount fine. it bolts to the fender about 4" higher from that point.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: I6 4.0

You may run into issues on the rear pinch welds if it is already cut and folded...
Old 07-03-2014, 10:48 PM

Why would he run into issues with the pinch welds? the bushwhacker cut out fender flares were designed to basically cover up a cut and fold. There isn't a mounting piece that hooks to the pinch seams. Simply put you line it up make sure it looks good and then drill your holes and put the bolts and nuts in and your finished. Only reason I know is because I just bought replacement ones for my crumpled up ones and extremely gouged ones and they only have 1 way to bolt up and thats the bolts you see in the little grooves. Shouldn't be a real big deal.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: I6 4.0

Disregard me then lol
Anyways you're not the first to do it, doubt you'll be the last. There's always a way
Old 07-04-2014, 03:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

If you get napiers Doug could tell you for sure.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:55 PM
Banned

Year: 2001

If you go to the Bushwacker Site the installation instructions are available. They have the required trimming measurements. Should be able to figure it out with that info.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:51 AM
NPx
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcbrocks
...... As I want to put on Bushwacker flares, my question is: Is this possible due to the preexisting cuts? I know that you have to cut the fenders already in order to fit on the flares but I was wondering how hard it would be to get them on or what modifications I would have to do to get them to fit over the previous cuts and folded sheet metal.

Thank you in advance!
T
The rear wheel opening should be fine with the BWs or our V2 Fender Flares. It is actually the front opening that may be a problem.

BW has an install guide for XJ flares linked from their XJ fender flare page. Here's a link to our Napier Precision Install Guides.

If you want, post up a pic of the front too and I'll let you know what I think. Our V2 Flares do optimize the wheel openings for larger tires and maximum articulation, especially compared to BWs!
Doug
Old 07-08-2014, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by NPx
The rear wheel opening should be fine with the BWs or our V2 Fender Flares. It is actually the front opening that may be a problem.

BW has an install guide for XJ flares linked from their XJ fender flare page. Here's a link to our Napier Precision Install Guides.

If you want, post up a pic of the front too and I'll let you know what I think. Our V2 Flares do optimize the wheel openings for larger tires and maximum articulation, especially compared to BWs!
Doug
Thank you so much for your response! It looks to me like the sheet metal has been cut quite extensively in order to fit these 33's. Also, some material on the left of the wheel well has been folded down to alleviate rubbing.
Attached Thumbnails Installing Bushwacker fender flares over existing fender modifications?-image.jpg  
Old 07-08-2014, 01:25 PM

Actually that's not that bad of a cut fender. You might have a gap or 2 here and there for the back of the bushwhacker but it would fit on there pretty good all the mounting points would fit. Take a look at my XJ pic and you will see something similar for how it will mount and look. Minus the abuse they have seen :P

Installing Bushwacker fender flares over existing fender modifications?-rdn3g93.jpg
Old 07-08-2014, 04:37 PM

Year: 1997

Looks like you should be okay. Maybe they can send you a free pattern in the mail so you can hold it up and trace it out? Just had my bushwhackers put on a few weeks ago : D
Old 06-25-2020, 05:08 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default This is how easy they are to install

so i have done a few sets of the cut out fender flares. I have done both the flat and the thick style. My XJ has the thick bushwacker flares and fits 33" with a 4.5 inch lift. This is probably one of the best videos i have seen for what to do to install them. Its first person perspective and rough but the knowledge is there. Good luck!