Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

INPUT NEEDED! Lift, tires/wheels, radiator

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default INPUT NEEDED! Lift, tires/wheels, radiator

Hello everyone, thank you for reading my first post as I have been a long time lurker on this forum looking for advice and helpful tips, this community is great!

To get to it I have a $2500 budget for my 1999 XJ. I will be needing to replace my radiator since the plastic stem holding the cap cracked and I am looking into an all-metal 2 or 3 row radiator and would like some opinions.

Here is the radiator I am currently thinking about buying:
CSF Radiator CSF Radiator

As for my suspension I think it's about time to change out my old stock springs and shocks and opt for a 3" lift. I do intend to do some wheeling here and there but I am just looking to replace my suspension because my XJ is my daily.

Here is the lift I think I will get the most bang for my buck: Rough Country 3" Series II Suspension Lift Kit
I wil be buying a steering stabilizer from Rough Country as well. Any opinions on this lift? Quick question as well, would it be better to have the short control arms included or not?

And finally as for the wheel and tire package and best deal I think I have ever seen: Steelies wrapped with 31" Goodyear Duratracs

Thank you again for reading this post. Please feel free to give me feedback as it is GREATLY appreciated.

plz hlp
Old 05-27-2015, 09:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ChilliRed
Hello everyone, thank you for reading my first post as I have been a long time lurker on this forum looking for advice and helpful tips, this community is great!

To get to it I have a $2500 budget for my 1999 XJ. I will be needing to replace my radiator since the plastic stem holding the cap cracked and I am looking into an all-metal 2 or 3 row radiator and would like some opinions.

Here is the radiator I am currently thinking about buying: CSF Radiator

As for my suspension I think it's about time to change out my old stock springs and shocks and opt for a 3" lift. I do intend to do some wheeling here and there but I am just looking to replace my suspension because my XJ is my daily.

Here is the lift I think I will get the most bang for my buck: Rough Country 3" Series II Suspension Lift Kit
I wil be buying a steering stabilizer from Rough Country as well. Any opinions on this lift? Quick question as well, would it be better to have the short control arms included or not?

And finally as for the wheel and tire package and best deal I think I have ever seen: Steelies wrapped with 31" Goodyear Duratracs

Thank you again for reading this post. Please feel free to give me feedback as it is GREATLY appreciated.

plz hlp
Welcome! The journey begins....
Buy a replacement stock radiator, 90-100 bucks, better in most cases than dropping a fortune into specialty stuff. Your current one has lasted 16 years and so will the next one. While you have it out, do the thermostat, water pump, fan clutch and radiator hoses. Should be about 230 all together. Save the rest for the lift and tires.

That tire and wheel package price looks pretty normal. The free shipping helps, other tires are cheaper if you are on an absolute budget and don't forget you'll need an alignment when you are done. Duratracs aren't serious off-road tires(single ply sidewall I think) but on a daily driver I think they would give you good on and off road performance. I have them and like them.

That leaves about 1300 for the lift. Plenty to get a good one. I'm not a huge fan of rough country. I think you get better stuff from Rustys, serious Off-road or several other vendors. Look around first.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Cheddarnut
Welcome! The journey begins....
Buy a replacement stock radiator, 90-100 bucks, better in most cases than dropping a fortune into specialty stuff. Your current one has lasted 16 years and so will the next one. While you have it out, do the thermostat, water pump, fan clutch and radiator hoses. Should be about 230 all together. Save the rest for the lift and tires.

That tire and wheel package price looks pretty normal. The free shipping helps, other tires are cheaper if you are on an absolute budget and don't forget you'll need an alignment when you are done. Duratracs aren't serious off-road tires(single ply sidewall I think) but on a daily driver I think they would give you good on and off road performance. I have them and like them.

That leaves about 1300 for the lift. Plenty to get a good one. I'm not a huge fan of rough country. I think you get better stuff from Rustys, serious Off-road or several other vendors. Look around first.

I would suggest also just clean/flush the engine/heater core several times then but a stock radiator (I bought mine at AutoZone <$100 lifetime warranty) and the rest of the items also then you have a complete new cooling system which is an issue on a lot of XJ's.

That company is not one of the better lifts out their for sure. I agree with the Rustys Off Road (the only company with leafs/coils made in NA not China) 3" full leaf/coil/shocks/hardware package for $438 it has everything you need for a 3" lift included in it. Except for an adj. track bar and a transfer case drop kit, that is it if you have the correct wheels with a 3.75" BS on them.

That way you have money for other things like really good shocks Bilstein 5100's or new bumpers and such.

The main thing on any kit is the quality of the springs period, I have been running Rustys 3" lift for about 4 yrs now zero problems.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

x3 on Rustys. i have the 3 inch advanced kit, its 750 and you get the track bar and upper/lower control arms. still need the tcase drop separate. summit racing has good prices on wheels and free shipping.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

One thing I forgot to add on that radiator you listed is most of the metal one's crack or leak quickly (as noted by numerous member's here) the stock on bought locally like from AutoZone has a Warranty that they take care of right there no sending thing back and fourth. Then being rejected they honor it in the store and for the price difference well worth it.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:41 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0, APN header & 2.5" exhaust

X3 on buying a parts store lifetime warranty radiator, and all the associated parts. I can run all day long in the 115℉ desert heat at 5 mph and the temp stays right at 190℉ where it needs to be.

I have Rubicon Express springs with Rock Krawler's 3 link and would recommend any if their parts as well. Bilstein 5100s are my next purchase.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I would also suggest just sticking with stock cooling components unless you have a valid need to upgrade.

Discount Autoparts always has awesome coupons if you order online,
I just spec'd out pretty much everything you'd need for $220, but with a coupon it brings it down $40 which is like getting a fan clutch for free

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/adva....com?c=6850866
Old 05-29-2015, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a budget of $2500, maybe excluding a couple hundred for your radiator, you could even go with a 4.5" lift and bigger tires. I would definitely recommend Rusty's, because if you're really looking for the best "bang for your buck", I'd say Rusty's is much better than Rough Country because Rusty's is cheaper, and all their parts are American made. I am just about to buy a Rusty's kit, still deciding between the 3" and 4.5" kit because I have a smaller budget than you, but here are the two kits I'm deciding between, and I think they'd be perfect for you too.

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...-pack-kit.html
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...-pack-kit.html

Just from sheer research on forums like this, I would definitely go with the full spring pack rather than the AAL pack because the AAL one will result in sagging of your rear springs after a while, and with your budget, you have the money to make it good the first time.

Hope this helps!