Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to wire a pillar pod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default how to wire a pillar pod?

so i am going to add an a pillar pod to my 91 cherokee. does anyone have any tips to wire it? is there a way to go behind the a pillar and bring the wires out under the dash and into the engine bay? pics would be appreciated
Old 07-04-2011, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0L

Never put one in an XJ before, but I've installed numerous pillar pods into turbo cars. Once you have the a pillar trim off, you should be able to feed your wires down under the dash, then pass them through a grommet in the firewall.

Depending on the gauges you purchase, you should be running 4 wires for each gauge. 12v Constant, 12v Switched, Ground, and signal wires. Honestly, the easiest way to go is to purchase a gauge wiring kit. I've used this kit from glowshift a few different times and had great results. There gauges are so-so quality however.

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/3-gauge-wiring-kit.aspx

There are a bunch of places to tap for your constant and switched power such as the stereo, cigarette lighter, fuse box, etc.

What gauges are you planning to install?
Old 07-04-2011, 07:43 PM

im not totally sure on the gauges i no for sure i want a trans temp gauge. see i installed one on my truck awhile back but i deffinately improvised. i just screwed it to the original a pillar and ran the wires into the dash it looked un-professional. i know all my gauges will be electric so i figure each gauge would have a switched power ground and signal and a switched power and ground for for the light. im thinking a single power and ground wire that i will parallel to each gauge to free up clutter. then the signal wires for the sensors. and do a single power and ground for the lights.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:45 PM

i think my brand of choice will be autometer i was wondering if i should install diff temp gauges i have full instrumentation in my jeep so i dont need the basic gauges
Old 07-23-2011, 09:40 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I have been thinking about installing the auto meter Cherokee A pillar pod with a Vacuum and Transmission temperature gauges after reading the article in Jp magazine where they did a similar install.

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...cks/index.html

Unfortunately they did not go into any detail on removing the trim on the A pillar to run the wires. The service manual seems to indicate that the trim is screwed in place, but on my 99 there are no screws. The following post has me concerned on how to successfully remove the trim.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/rem...dshield-65973/

Are there any tricks to remove the A pillar trim that is not screwed in?
Does any one have pictures of this type of trim removed to show what Northwoods Snowman was talking about breaking?
If anyone has installed an A pillar gauge pod, do you have any hints on what to do and where to run the wires to the engine compartment?
Old 11-22-2011, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by carter442
so i am going to add an a pillar pod to my 91 cherokee. does anyone have any tips to wire it? is there a way to go behind the a pillar and bring the wires out under the dash and into the engine bay? pics would be appreciated

Did you ever do this project? If you did, what pillar pod did you use and how does it look? Do you have any pics of the finished project?

I am looking to do this to my 2000 Cherokee. I only have a fuel gauge and speedo in the dash and a couple idiot lights. I am looking to install a coolant temp gauge, trans temp gauge, oil pressure gauge and if I can find one a 2 1/16 inch tach (although I don't know if those even exist).