Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat

Old 01-22-2013, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Heat

Gauge on the dash say 210. But the heat is warm not hot at all. Any ideas of what to look for or too check. I believe the heat should be wamer then it is.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

yeah heater core is probably clogged, flush it and back flush it, check the vacuum actuator to make sure it's fully working. XJ's use radiator fluid to run through your heater core to heat the jeep, if it's clogged that means it's not getting flow
Old 01-22-2013, 03:12 PM

Year: 1998

I have the same problem. Ican have the heat running for like a halfhour on full blast and it still wont get hot! I just got the truck and im slowly starting to find things i have to fix. Thankgod for this forum haha. You guys seem to kno tons and are full of great info and little tricks.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998redxj
I have the same problem. Ican have the heat running for like a halfhour on full blast and it still wont get hot! I just got the truck and im slowly starting to find things i have to fix. Thankgod for this forum haha. You guys seem to kno tons and are full of great info and little tricks.
I just got a '98 after the new year as well. This forum has been a godsend. I too am facing the same issue. So far I've had to replace the freeze plugs on the engine block and I threw a new radiator and thermostat in there while I was at it. Heat barely gets warm. Luckily it isn't my DD or I'd be freezing my but off here in PA where it's in the teens this week!
Old 01-22-2013, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty

I just got a '98 after the new year as well. This forum has been a godsend. I too am facing the same issue. So far I've had to replace the freeze plugs on the engine block and I threw a new radiator and thermostat in there while I was at it. Heat barely gets warm. Luckily it isn't my DD or I'd be freezing my but off here in PA where it's in the teens this week!
Unfortunatelly for me this is my dd and i feel ya on this weather. Im in NY and its in the single digits to low teens with some snow. Cant wait for warm weather so i can take the time to figure things out without my fingers freezing to things haha.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:06 PM

when its up to temp feel your heater core hoses if both hot id say the air door is stuck possible vac problem

if you ve had the cooiling system open for repair of heater core. rad. h20 pump ect. could be air in system also.

and it is kind of a pain to put a heater core in the 97 and newer xj(ive never done the 96 and down) i did it once and hope to never do so again.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by liqour crazy
when its up to temp feel your heater core hoses if both hot id say the air door is stuck possible vac problem

if you ve had the cooiling system open for repair of heater core. rad. h20 pump ect. could be air in system also.

and it is kind of a pain to put a heater core in the 97 and newer xj(ive never done the 96 and down) i did it once and hope to never do so again.
Well for me in my 98 the ac dont work so i guess its the compressor and when i have the "heat" on lol it only comes out of the defroster. Nothing comes from the front vents or floor vent and the heat only works on full blast which is number 4. If u try any other number it doesnt even come out. Wtf? Haha. Dunno
Old 01-22-2013, 04:25 PM

blower motor or resister taking a dump for the blower issue. ac i would suggest get some PAG oil with dye in it and find your leak. i would think you have an Oring that is leaking your ac charge out. if no leaks make sure the comp works.

the defrost only and someone will chime in im sure but i think those are cable operated i think if i remember right. so could the cable selector is unhooked. sounds like you got some behind the dashboard gremlins that need chased out. good luck

there was a cable and vac pod back there one controlled the temp and the other controlled where it was going floor vent ect. i cant remember which was which .at least not a 100%
Old 01-22-2013, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by liqour crazy
blower motor or resister taking a dump for the blower issue. ac i would suggest get some PAG oil with dye in it and find your leak. i would think you have an Oring that is leaking your ac charge out. if no leaks make sure the comp works.

the defrost only and someone will chime in im sure but i think those are cable operated i think if i remember right. so could the cable selector is unhooked. sounds like you got some behind the dashboard gremlins that need chased out. good luck

there was a cable and vac pod back there one controlled the temp and the other controlled where it was going floor vent ect. i cant remember which was which .at least not a 100%
Ya im not shure if it has cables. The heat and ac controls are ***** not levers so idk. Maybe if i leave a quarter behind the dash the gremlins will fix it for me! Haha
Old 01-22-2013, 05:34 PM

agreed on ***** . just need to pop the panel off and see what the dealio is. im positive there is a cable in there somwhere
Old 01-22-2013, 05:42 PM

2 more things to question. Mine is 98 is just started the same. it blows cold until i rev the engine, then starts blowing warm air. Also about the exact same time this happened my check engine light came on. Does this sound related or coincidence? Just got this thing for free, and it's gonna be a dd. And we just got nice cold storm here in Erie. and another on way. Friend said he noticed spot of rad fluid other day, but i have seen nothing since, also no sweet smell either.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:42 PM

Well I look at my truck today and I opened the rad cap which I no u shouldn't do but my temp said 210 and the cap was on warm to touch. So I opened it and it was warm coolant. It should have burned me which it did not. So if the coolant is only warm no heat is gonna come from it. Someone told me to replace fluid which could be weak or watered down.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000 XJ
Engine: 4.8L Stroker

Anyone with an XJ with an 0331 head... A symptom of the famous cracked head is that it will have no heat. Don't think it applies to the OP, but anyone else with a similar problem may look into that. Ask me how I know....
Old 01-23-2013, 06:14 AM

So no heat could mean a cracked head. Is there any sign of a cracked head besides no heat. I don't see any water in the oil. I don't no. But I need heat
Old 01-23-2013, 06:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by Blacksj
So no heat could mean a cracked head. Is there any sign of a cracked head besides no heat. I don't see any water in the oil. I don't no. But I need heat

what year is your XJ? and try my solution as it is easily done

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heat