Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gonna need lots of help with this swap

Old 01-06-2012, 01:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: i6 HO
Default Gonna need lots of help with this swap

So might be taking my 4.0 out and aw4. Selling it and putting in another 4.0 with a 5 speed.
1. Whats gonna be a problem? do i need another t case?
2. Drive shaft?
3. How to tell if its the crappy puegeot 5 speed or ax15?
List goes on...
Old 01-06-2012, 03:47 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: i6 HO

Any input?
Old 01-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

You'll need a different transfer case both driveshafts clutch linkage and master slave setup and probably a crossmember. Won't be hard if you get all the right parts
Old 01-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999

You'll need a different transfer case both driveshafts clutch linkage and master slave setup and probably a crossmember. Won't be hard if you get all the right parts

2000 Cherokee Classic. Ironman4x4fab long arms with custom crossmember, ACOS at about 6.5" lift , 33" MT/R Kevlars on Ion 174's, PORC sye and front cv, Aussie-Locked 8.25, TnT uniboy stiffeners, custom bumper/grill gaurd, custom rock sliders, custom rear bumper/swingout carrier, tinted out

1988 MJ 4.0 2wd (for now)

1989 YJ

(above is copied from another member)
I still don't see why I can't use a few cuss words but I constantly have to see this religious babel that offends me much more than a few swears. I have never knocked on someones door and swore at them and tried to get them to swear with me because the world is going to end next week.

Last edited by leecarr; 01-06-2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: ommsion
Old 01-06-2012, 05:00 PM

Year: 1992

I think you can get away with just a different input shaft assembly for the TC. Check the spline count and length depending what years you collect your parts from.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:17 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 H.O. 180K miles

What about the computer/wiring harness?
Old 01-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by leecarr

(above is copied from another member)
I still don't see why I can't use a few cuss words but I constantly have to see this religious babel that offends me much more than a few swears. I have never knocked on someones door and swore at them and tried to get them to swear with me because the world is going to end next week.
I hate to hijack this thread, so I will make one reply here and if you want to discuss it further, feel free to PM me or start a thread in an appropriate section of the forum.

As you seem to understand, you do have a right to use profanity in this country, just as I have a right to express my faith. But when you registered for this forum and checked the little box that says "i have read and agree to all these rules" you chose to give up your right to cuss on this forum. As far as I know, expressing "religion" is not against the forum rules. (correct me if I am wrong, moderators)

I am sorry that I offend you with a verse in my sig that sums up the most important part of my life, that being that I follow Jesus Christ. You say that you do not knock on people's doors and swear at them in an attempt to get them to cuss along with you, and that is understandable. But I would submit to you, that, if you truly believed that by cussing, you were forgiven of all the sinful things you did in your life (lying, cheating, lusting, hating, stealing, and whatever is applicable) and you would never have to take the punishment for those things, and you would receive blessings beyond imagination because of cussing, what kind of person would you be if you didn't share that with other people in hopes that they would also be forgiven, whether they got offended or not?

What I'm saying is that if (and I do) believe that we can ONLY be forgiven of our many, many sins and thereby escaping the punishment we deserve for those sins (hell) and receive a restored relationship with our God which allows us to spend eternity with him in a new and perfect world by trusting in Jesus....who literally took the punishment for our sins upon himself and rose again to give us new life........it would be ridiculous to think I would not share, talk about, and tell others about, my faith, even if they may get offended.

And honestly, the Gospel is "offensive" to many because it points out that they are not perfect and cannot fix themselves or do anything to save themselves other than trust Christ. That being said, in the about three years I have been on this forum, I have only received compliments about the verse in my sig until now.

Now about the drivetrain swap, you should be able to swap input shafts, but it might be hard coming up with just the input shaft.

As far as computer/wiring harness, I don't think it should be an issue. You just won't be plugging in the wires that used to go to the AW4. I'm guessing the worst scenario is a check engine light.

A trans from a 94+ XJ would be ideal, since they have external slave cylinders. I also think that in those years the only manual offered behind a 4.0 was the AX-15.

Last edited by fox128; 01-06-2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-06-2012, 08:46 PM

Year: 1997

Leecar is a real idiot... when is he gonna get banned? Anyone anyone?
Old 01-06-2012, 09:24 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by fox128
I hate to hijack this thread, so I will make one reply here and if you want to discuss it further, feel free to PM me or start a thread in an appropriate section of the forum.

As you seem to understand, you do have a right to use profanity in this country, just as I have a right to express my faith. But when you registered for this forum and checked the little box that says "i have read and agree to all these rules" you chose to give up your right to cuss on this forum. As far as I know, expressing "religion" is not against the forum rules. (correct me if I am wrong, moderators)

I am sorry that I offend you with a verse in my sig that sums up the most important part of my life, that being that I follow Jesus Christ. You say that you do not knock on people's doors and swear at them in an attempt to get them to cuss along with you, and that is understandable. But I would submit to you, that, if you truly believed that by cussing, you were forgiven of all the sinful things you did in your life (lying, cheating, lusting, hating, stealing, and whatever is applicable) and you would never have to take the punishment for those things, and you would receive blessings beyond imagination because of cussing, what kind of person would you be if you didn't share that with other people in hopes that they would also be forgiven, whether they got offended or not?

What I'm saying is that if (and I do) believe that we can ONLY be forgiven of our many, many sins and thereby escaping the punishment we deserve for those sins (hell) and receive a restored relationship with our God which allows us to spend eternity with him in a new and perfect world by trusting in Jesus....who literally took the punishment for our sins upon himself and rose again to give us new life........it would be ridiculous to think I would not share, talk about, and tell others about, my faith, even if they may get offended.

And honestly, the Gospel is "offensive" to many because it points out that they are not perfect and cannot fix themselves or do anything to save themselves other than trust Christ. That being said, in the about three years I have been on this forum, I have only received compliments about the verse in my sig until now.

Now about the drivetrain swap, you should be able to swap input shafts, but it might be hard coming up with just the input shaft.

As far as computer/wiring harness, I don't think it should be an issue. You just won't be plugging in the wires that used to go to the AW4. I'm guessing the worst scenario is a check engine light.

A trans from a 94+ XJ would be ideal, since they have external slave cylinders. I also think that in those years the only manual offered behind a 4.0 was the AX-15.
Well stated and without apology. I agree wholeheartedly.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Well stated and without apology. I agree wholeheartedly.
X2, I'm a non-practicing Catholic, so I'm not real religous after years of being forced to attend church every Sunday as a kid and never having my questions answered. But I'm not offended by anybody quoting from the Bible, foul language is just a sign of a limited vocabulary though.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998,2001

Don't forget you will need the brake pedal from the ax15 as well(and obviously the clutch pedal and assembly/bracketry).