Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goliath Offroad Winch bumper installation questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 02:00 PM

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Goliath Offroad Winch bumper installation questions

I知 trying to install my new Rocker Winch Bumper from Goliath Offroad, but I知 stuck. This bumper has six unibody tie-in holes on each side and comes with hardware. I guess I知 confused on where the hardware goes and doesn稚 go. The hardware includes 6 Allen head bolts with washers and nuts, which I assume are used to mount the bull bar I ordered with the bumper. There are 4 large diameter short grade 8 bolts and two long large diameter bolts. Not entirely sure whether I知 supposed to use any of the OEM hardware from the stock bumper along with the new bumper and hardware or if I知 supposed to drill holes anywhere in the unibody. I値l attach pictures of everything I知 talking about. Sorry if I made it more confusing with my crappy explanation lol.
Could someone who is familiar with these bumpers help guide me in the right direction? Pictures would also be a big help. Thanks!

Last edited by mikecorrell; 07-29-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:03 PM

P.S. I also snapped the head off one of my stock bumper bolts... not sure if I知 screwed or not lol. I guess I値l try to find a way to get it out without drilling it
Old 07-29-2018, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 Renix

***** at them for instructions. It's unacceptable to not include them.

But if you take your power steering box off, and those 'wing' supports for the fenders/header panel, you should be able to slip the bumper on and see how it fits. My guess is you discard the 4 pal nuts that were used on the stock bumper and put the 4 short grade 8 bolts there, then you reuse the bolt that you snapped off (on both sides), the power steering box bolts pick up the three remaining holes on the driver's side, and then the two long bolts go through a couple of the remaining holes on the passenger side. No drilling anything, one hole might not be there (not super familiar with later XJs, but it looks like they drilled them for the RHD steering box) or if they shorted you a bolt.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by 2drx4
***** at them for instructions. It's unacceptable to not include them.

But if you take your power steering box off, and those 'wing' supports for the fenders/header panel, you should be able to slip the bumper on and see how it fits. My guess is you discard the 4 pal nuts that were used on the stock bumper and put the 4 short grade 8 bolts there, then you reuse the bolt that you snapped off (on both sides), the power steering box bolts pick up the three remaining holes on the driver's side, and then the two long bolts go through a couple of the remaining holes on the passenger side. No drilling anything, one hole might not be there (not super familiar with later XJs, but it looks like they drilled them for the RHD steering box) or if they shorted you a bolt.
Thanks for your advice. I did it mostly exactly how you described it. Really helpful. I did have to drill that snapped bolt completely out and I ended up just ripping the nut for it right out of where it was welded to the frame lol. Also had to wallow out the holes above the sway bar mount a little, but I got the bumper on and the bolts in. Just need two more bolts and the nuts and washers for them on the passenger side and I値l be good to go.
That bumper isn稚 going anywhere, it actually squeezed so tight on the frame that I had to pound it on with a hammer and a piece of wood to line up the holes.