Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JCRoffroad Vangaurd rear bumper tire carrier?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.l
Default JCRoffroad Vangaurd rear bumper tire carrier?

I have a 1994 XJ. I have the JCRoffroad rear bumper. Currently I have my spare tire up on the roofrack using the JCR roofrack tire carrier. I want to put it on the back so i can use the roof rack more for storage and supplies.

I was was thinking of selling the bumper and go with the smittybilt as it looks like a nice bumper/tire carrier but read multiple bad reviews.

the JCR bumper tire carrier just seems huge and heavy for what it is and also looks like it blocks half of the rear brake lights let alone is the same cost of the bumper itself.

Does anyone have good pictures of an XJ with stock rear lights and the JCROFFROAD rear bumper with tire carrier? I emailed JCR as well but haven’t heard back.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I-6

Can't remember the thread, but I saw where someone made some clearance for that. Also saw in another forum, where they put holes in the bumber, with 3x3 LEDs hooked up to the reverse lights.I was interested in the same bumber.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by CRLAMBERTJR
Can't remember the thread, but I saw where someone made some clearance for that. Also saw in another forum, where they put holes in the bumber, with 3x3 LEDs hooked up to the reverse lights.I was interested in the same bumber.
the bumper has provisions for the LED pods and I already have them installed. Does the tire carrier only cover the reverse lights? It seems like it covers a lot more but I have not found a good picture with stock rear lights.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 5.7L LS1

It only blocks the reverse lights on a 97+, the brake and turn signals are completely visible. I think you'd still be fine on a 96- as the actual turn signal light is an inch or two from the bottom of the housing. It'll definitely cover the reverse portion though.

JCRoffroad Vangaurd rear bumper tire carrier?-ml06evo.jpg

JCRoffroad Vangaurd rear bumper tire carrier?-egdimam.jpg

JCRoffroad Vangaurd rear bumper tire carrier?-ptzv11y.jpg

​​​​​​JCRoffroad Vangaurd rear bumper tire carrier?-y5ebhky.jpg

​​​​​​JCRoffroad Vangaurd rear bumper tire carrier?-egnis22.jpg

​​​​​​JCRoffroad Vangaurd rear bumper tire carrier?-xtnifbw.jpg

​​​​​​JCRoffroad Vangaurd rear bumper tire carrier?-2hm1vv6.jpg

The Jeep has since been sold but I sure loved the JCR tire carrier. It is definitely heavy though (my Trepador tires didn't help that). It is strong and extremely easy to use with its single pull latch release.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:11 AM

Thank you for the pictures and details that is exactly what I was looking for. Yeah the tire carrier is overkill. I will only have a 32x10.5 GY Wrangler tire on it. If I was running 35” I could see something beefy would be needed.

Still thinking of selling thr bumper and going with the cheaper smittybilt just bc I think the smittybilt built will be lighter weight and be enough to handle the smaller tire.

Bery nice looking king rig by the way...
Old 07-29-2018, 12:55 PM

Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I have a van guard bumper ordered. What brand of quad LED lights did you use on your Vanguard bumper? Instead of getting the whole tire carrier setup for it I made this setup to use the trailer hitch. It is rated for 500lbs and with the pivoting hitch and extension tube I am only in it slightly over $100. I still have to add some lug bolts to bolt the wheel and tire to.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:38 PM

I have all rigid industries pods on the front JCR bumper, rear bumper and 4more on the JCR roofrack.

yeah I though about the hitch attachment but I use my trunk often having little kids and all the stuff that goes long with them. The bumper tire carrier just seems much easier to use. I’m thinking of forming out the cash for the JCR carrier or putting my tire in the trunk/cargo space and building a platform/modular cargo space deal to keep it secure and clean in the trunk. I currently have the tire on the roof rack which is limiting my space up there...it’s really 6 in one half-dozen the other! I like having a full size spare with me but it’s a sacrifice for the amount of room it takes.