Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

full size axles

Old 01-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.6L Stroker
Default full size axles

So out of nowhere I decided I really want 1 ton or 3/4 ton full length axles... No idea why but I have some big plans for my little jeep. I was up until about 4am last night trying to figure out what axles I need and decided on 14 bolt Chevy in back and a d60 out of a ford up front.... Now the big question is what year ford has the diff on the drivers side and also would the work only really consist of cutting off all the brackets and rewelding on new ones to make them fit? I know regearing has to get done but as far is putting them in is it that easy? Or not so much
Old 01-29-2013, 01:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Also my other problem is money, so cheaper way to do it would be the best, so far in me head its just getting the axles stripping off all the old brackets, ordering some beefy ones from tmr or something and then welding those one the axles hopefully in the right spot the first time haha, just hoping its that easy
Old 01-29-2013, 03:53 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Ford only used a driver drop D60. 78-79 are the easiest due to the largest driver side tube. Later models have a very small amount of tube and you have to move your coil buckets up a few inches or run coil overs or air shocks. Best advice I can give is do your research and when you think you're ready do some more. Noting is cheap about a swap either. Plan on at least a grand for a front axle unless you find a steal, then a few hundred more replacing bearings, seals, hubs etc since it'll be an older axle. What size tires are you planning on because if it's less than 37s skip the tons. You'll be hanging up on everything. Come up with a budget after you get prices on everything then double it cause you'll miss some things and break things you planned on reusing.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

here are a couple quotes on my thread asking about 60/14. hope some of this helps. juantons aren't cheap

Originally Posted by Atmos
alright awesome. so heres a quick D60 price run down (using google found prices)

HPD60 housing $500-$700?
5.38 gears $200
install kit $125
spicer 5-806x $80
spartan locker $350
diff cover with discount $80
35 spline yukon outters $290
yukon lockouts $340

= aboutttt $2065 before tax and shipping
that leaves maybe $1000 for steering and brake rebuild. damn
Originally Posted by 93XJLI
Don't forget bearings, races, and seals... Usually around 100 a side. And ball joints, another 100 a side. Calipers will run about 70 each, pads 50 or so, rotors 50 a side. So that's about 500 bucks right there. It adds up quick, trust me.
Originally Posted by Atmos
onto the rear. pick up a FF14 bolt for $150
detroit locker $465
install kit $150
ruffstuff pinion guard $40
pre turned 5.38's $322
WFO shave job $50?
ruffstuff cover $90
ruffstuff simple swap $100
brakes $200?

= $1600 for a 14 bolt rear. sound good?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

I don't feel like you are ready to take something like this on. What tire size are you planning
Old 01-29-2013, 05:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

In a lot of posts you are noted as saying your broke. That coupled with the fact that an axle swap is no cake walk- do you really think its feasible?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:09 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993

Like he said, going full width and making it drive good again will take a couple grand
Old 01-29-2013, 06:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

Originally Posted by VTJeep
In a lot of posts you are noted as saying your broke. That coupled with the fact that an axle swap is no cake walk- do you really think its feasible?
^^ and the prices I listed are without installation costs, tax, shipping, or fabrication materials. and that's without any actual strong internals like full chromos or CTM's or full case locker
why does everyone think they need full widths lately

Last edited by Atmos; 01-29-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to jack the thread, but my buddy has a 44/9 set that I can have for free. I have been tossing around the idea and I know everything involved except for steering. What are you guys doing for your steering?
Old 01-29-2013, 06:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by BNJeepsta
Not to jack the thread, but my buddy has a 44/9 set that I can have for free. I have been tossing around the idea and I know everything involved except for steering. What are you guys doing for your steering?
If you look at my build thread I have my steering setup in there you can look at that and pm me if you have any questions I would be happy to help

Also as far as the full widths go x2 on the money when I did mine the only thing left on my axles that is old is the housing itself you can expect to change everything and that was a cost I didn't account for trust me its not cheap and like they said if you plan on driving on the street with no issues it is def going to be expensive like I said I have a 44 and 9 in mine and its not done yet it has been a year and half in the works and its close to being done but the test and tune hasn't even started yet I would say if you are going to want all top of the line **** then plan on spending at least 2000 per axle and that's with you doing all the work prob even more on the front make sure you account for everything when it comes to money and to do one tons nothing is cheap that's why I went with a hd 44 and a 9" rear
Old 01-29-2013, 06:51 PM
CF Veteran

I built my steering with 1.5" DOM and 3/4" heims but I don't drive it on the road. Get the stock steering and modify as needed. Depending on year it could be crossover or the inverted Y which is scary.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xjmarc
I built my steering with 1.5" DOM and 3/4" heims but I don't drive it on the road. Get the stock steering and modify as needed. Depending on year it could be crossover or the inverted Y which is scary.
I'm pretty sure it has crossover. If it is inverted Y then ill just start from scratch. Does anyone make a steering kit for full width swaps?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Thekid320

If you look at my build thread I have my steering setup in there you can look at that and pm me if you have any questions I would be happy to help

Also as far as the full widths go x2 on the money when I did mine the only thing left on my axles that is old is the housing itself you can expect to change everything and that was a cost I didn't account for trust me its not cheap and like they said if you plan on driving on the street with no issues it is def going to be expensive like I said I have a 44 and 9 in mine and its not done yet it has been a year and half in the works and its close to being done but the test and tune hasn't even started yet I would say if you are going to want all top of the line **** then plan on spending at least 2000 per axle and that's with you doing all the work prob even more on the front make sure you account for everything when it comes to money and to do one tons nothing is cheap that's why I went with a hd 44 and a 9" rear
Post up a link to your build thread, I'm on the app so I don't see it unless you post it.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Haha damn I appreciate all the advice and its really looking like I'm going to be getting a 44/9 main reason I want to get beefier axles is because I want to be able to run 35s, if you guys think my d30 and c8.25 with 4:10 will be good enough I may just keep those, also another reason I wanted to do the swap is because I've seen a few pics of them and absolutely love how wide it sits haha
Old 01-29-2013, 08:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by BNJeepsta

Post up a link to your build thread, I'm on the app so I don't see it unless you post it.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pr...ig-red-154126/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: full size axles