Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fox vs Bilstein vs OME

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Fox vs Bilstein vs OME

Needless to say im starting to realize my shocks suck..big time. To start with they are RC hydros...2nd they have had some abuse. Ive been upgrading my jeep left and right and im coming closer to upgrading my shocks and im down to a few choices. Obviously your gonna get what you pay for so im not going with any of the famous white shocks. My choices are really between the following : Bilstein 5100's (or 5150s), OME Sports, or really splurge and get some of the Fox Racing Shocks (2.0 performance IFP). I really am hoping for a smoother ride on the road. I know everyone pretty much loves bilstein but has anyone ran the OME sports or the fox shocks. First things first im gonna fix my shackle angle with relocation brackets...then its time for a big decision on shocks..hoping you guys can lead me in the right direction.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995

I'm running the Fox Factory Series with Res in the front and Bilstein 5100's in the rear. The thing rides and drives like no Jeep I've ever driven or ridden in. It's really astonishing how controlled it is on the road and how well it soaks up bumps. Not too firm and nowhere near spongey, it's perfect. Off road I find the same control, and it doesn't get bouncy like I've found other shocks to do. I know you get what you pay for, but man are the Fox Shox nice. I'm lifted 4.5" in the front and 5" in the rear on Rubicon Express springs, BTW.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:06 PM

I've always ran bilsteins on everything I own due to their great ride. I just lifted my wife's XJ and installed 5100s.
My JK I had 5100s then switched to fox 2.0 after rising in a JK I lifted with a buddy who ordered them. It road even better
Old 07-05-2012, 07:18 PM

I'm interested in hearing the opinions on this because I am also trying to decide between OME and Bilstiens but not real familiar with Fox so there is another variable to consider now
Old 07-05-2012, 08:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are looking at fox 2.0s, look at bilstein 7100s. Less money, and about the same size piston and valving options. If you want a nice ride it ddependson what you are looking for. I unlesprefer a stiffer shock that is valved deeper than what the 51xx or omes can offer. Offers more control, less body roll, and will take care of harder hits better. The downside is at low speeds, you can feel more bumps and road imperfections. If you want a softer valved shock, the fox 2.0/bilstein 7100 and similar would only be a waste of money unless you beat on your shocks pretty good, and overheat them to the point of shock fade ( unlikely for most people).
Old 07-05-2012, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

ya, bilstein 7100s are comparable to lower end foxes. are you looking at bolt-in ones or the 2.0s? bc theres a difference.. the bolt ins are valved on the softer side when comparing high end shocks, but still stiffer than OME, RE twintube etc. if you're looking for a smooth, controlled on road ride and dont plan on really getting it off road, the old man emus or bilstein 5100s will be more than adequate for your application. when you step up to a small shaft 2.0 (low end fox, bilstein 7100, etc) you're going a pretty big step up (in price, quality, and performance) from OME/5100s/RE twins.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

The Fox 2.0s are actually cheaper, least at Poly Performance. Can, get them in different valving, same as the 7100s. The Fox 2.0 "OEM" fit cost a little more than the 7100s, but then you do not have to buy/make/use BPE/upper stem adapters. So the non OEM of either Fox2.0/Bil 7100 will cost more.
OME and the 5100's are comparable. So if you go that route, snag whichever is cheaper. Depending on lift you may need to go with 5100s over OME, as I think the long travel OME shocks are for up to 5" lift. I was going to go 2.0/7100 but got a great deal on some 5100s for the front of my heep, so thats what Im doing for now.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:03 AM

My experience is 5100's on my YJ were good at low speed and offroad. On the freeway, I didn't like the ride. Too much "boaty feel". Just my opinion. On my XJ, I will probably look at Fox

So, count me as for your first to not "love" Bilstein. I actually just had them "buy back" the shocks on my truck, and went a different route. Again, too soft. Rep admitted, Bilstein is making their shocks softer due to complaints.

$485 for (4)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BDS-Fox-4-5-...sories&vxp=mtr

Last edited by CrawlerXJ; 07-06-2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:30 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Im really wanting a shock that dampens the **** on these old country roads I live on...but I don't wanna feel like im riding a mechanical bull bouncing on the interstate. Would different shocks front and rear be something to consider?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:19 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CrawlerYj
So, count me as for your first to not "love" Bilstein. I actually just had them "buy back" the shocks on my truck, and went a different route. Again, too soft. Rep admitted, Bilstein is making their shocks softer due to complaints.
A bolt in replacement bilstein is no way comparable to a 7100, but to each their own. The oem fits ones are valves soft.

Originally Posted by Xj88
Im really wanting a shock that dampens the **** on these old country roads I live on...but I don't wanna feel like im riding a mechanical bull bouncing on the interstate. Would different shocks front and rear be something to consider?
I'm running shocks that were valved using charts from KOH rigs, I can guarantee that they're stiffer than anything 99% of people would buy for anything short of a full on race rig. They ride spectacular on the highway. They're not perfect, but I haven't had my jeep tuned yet, and probably won't for a while. And yes, you want different valving front and rear.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:22 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CrawlerYJ
My experience is 5100's on my YJ were good at low speed and offroad. On the freeway, I didn't like the ride. Too much "boaty feel". Just my opinion. On my XJ, I will probably look at Fox

$485 for (4)

can't blame bilstein for your choosing of shocks that are too soft for your preferences. They make them in any valving suitable for anyone for any kind of motorsport.

Last edited by ktmracer419; 07-06-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:25 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Xj88
My experience with stiffer shocks is a less jostling around from high speed hits (duh). The tradeoff is you can feel more low speed bumps. I prefer it stiff (no homo)
Old 07-06-2012, 07:28 AM
CF Veteran

Too bad no one lives close to me, I'd gladly offer people rides to show them what spending good money on suspension does.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by CrawlerYJ

$485 for (4)
Why are the front shocks shorter than the rear?
Old 07-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Well im about 50/50 highway and city streets. Id.prefer to not feel the holes and stuff on the streets but still don't wanna be.bouncing up and down on the.interstate

Quick Reply: Fox vs Bilstein vs OME