Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fender flare question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Fender flare question

I was looking up different options for fender flares when I move up to a bigger tire size. I couldn't justify spending $500 on plastic so I found some different options and wanted to know what you guys thought. I was thinking I could do a cut a fold kind of deal. such as https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/re...rite-up-94546/ this and leave some metal tabs so I could put http://pacerperformance.com/products...ght-kit-detail these on the little metal tabs that I would fold parallel to the ground so I could mount these in place of the stock flares. Don't know how much sense that all made but I'd imagine it would turn out somewhat like flat flares (judging from how they look on the trucks in the pics of the second link. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by tacticalwill; 02-16-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Or save all that work http://www.napierprecisionproducts.c...V2-B-97-01.htm
Old 02-17-2014, 08:52 AM
NPx
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0

(Thanks andrewmp6 for mentioning us.)

It can be tricky to get the pacer edging to look right without wrinkles or bulges. Your idea of creating tabs for mounting is perfect. The Pacer edging is a lot less expensive than even our "naked" V2 Fender Flares that come without any hardware.
Doug
Old 02-17-2014, 01:35 PM

Year: 1999

I already did the fold on mine and am planning the same exact thing...my recommendation... Go to Home Depot or lowes and get some 3/4 inch aluminum strips.... Use the self tapers from the bottom to hold them to the pacer flares and then drill holes and use some nuts and bolts to go through everything into the tabs...the aluminum will help to eliminate the wrinkle effect and allow it to sit evenly and tight along the lip...I already did the test fit on mine and it looks great... Just take your time and making sure you drill te holes right...and I used heavy duty fold clips instead of nuts but that was was a mistake because they are already rusting haha...
Old 02-18-2014, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cherospeed99
I already did the fold on mine and am planning the same exact thing...my recommendation... Go to Home Depot or lowes and get some 3/4 inch aluminum strips.... Use the self tapers from the bottom to hold them to the pacer flares and then drill holes and use some nuts and bolts to go through everything into the tabs...the aluminum will help to eliminate the wrinkle effect and allow it to sit evenly and tight along the lip...I already did the test fit on mine and it looks great... Just take your time and making sure you drill te holes right...and I used heavy duty fold clips instead of nuts but that was was a mistake because they are already rusting haha...
I knew I couldn't be the only one to think of this! Do you have any pics of them? Thanks!
Old 02-18-2014, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by NPx
(Thanks andrewmp6 for mentioning us.)

It can be tricky to get the pacer edging to look right without wrinkles or bulges. Your idea of creating tabs for mounting is perfect. The Pacer edging is a lot less expensive than even our "naked" V2 Fender Flares that come without any hardware.
Doug
That's exactly why I was thinking of going with pacer. If I had the cash I would probably go with your product. Looks similar to the bushwackers but for 100 bucks less. Unfortunately I'm still not willing to spend that much for fender flares. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2014, 11:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Flexy flares FTW!
Old 02-18-2014, 11:26 PM

Engine: V6 4.0

Rugged Ridge 11634.10 All Terrain Fender Flare Kit for Jeep Cherokee : Amazon.com : Automotive Rugged Ridge 11634.10 All Terrain Fender Flare Kit for Jeep Cherokee : Amazon.com : Automotive

is this a good deal?
Old 02-18-2014, 11:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would spend the little bit more and get the napier ones i linked.They are cheap enough and proven to be strong.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by tacticalwill
I knew I couldn't be the only one to think of this! Do you have any pics of them? Thanks!
I don't have any pics yet sorry... I took them off to cleAn underneath and paint some chipped edges from the mock up... Prob won't get them bac on for a while but I'll post some pics as soon as they are back on and 100% done....and the reason I went with pacer is because with the metal bracing and better hardware I think it looks loads beter than the Napier ones... I've never seen the Napier flares in person but from the pics they just don't look to be my taste in flares... Everyone likes something different
Old 02-19-2014, 12:58 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L IL 6

I've had those exact ones on for about four or five months now, I think they're great for the price. Super easy to install, very straight forward, did it in an afternoon. For the price, they haven't given me any reason to not like them.
Attached Thumbnails Fender flare question-cherokee-4.jpg  
Old 02-19-2014, 02:21 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 HO

Wow they look great I like the Bushwackers but cant see paying 500 for them...
Old 02-19-2014, 03:13 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L IL 6

Originally Posted by Bullstang360
cant see paying 500 for them...
Right? Man, I really did want the flat style ones they offer...but that price tag!

And I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who will say it's worth it, and I'm SURE it is, but hey, I've got bills to pay lol I'll opt to save $300 whenever I can. Like I said, I was pleasantly surprised with these. Cheap, easy, been dependable so far! Flexed it the other day and heard my rear right start to rub pretty bad, got out and checked it and everything held solid lol

And yes, I do flex my stock height XJ haha
Old 02-19-2014, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cherospeed99
I don't have any pics yet sorry... I took them off to cleAn underneath and paint some chipped edges from the mock up... Prob won't get them bac on for a while but I'll post some pics as soon as they are back on and 100% done....and the reason I went with pacer is because with the metal bracing and better hardware I think it looks loads beter than the Napier ones... I've never seen the Napier flares in person but from the pics they just don't look to be my taste in flares... Everyone likes something different
This is perfect man. Like i said before i cant justify spending that much for some plastic. I have a little while til i get my 31's on (which is the whole reason im thinking abt fender flares. Damn wa fender laws suck!) please post pics on here or on ur build thread if you have one ill sub to it so i can see them when theyre posted. Do u know how wide of a tire/rim back spacing i could run with this? Im wanting to run 10.50 and just want to be sure this will give me enough coverage. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2014, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by tacticalwill
This is perfect man. Like i said before i cant justify spending that much for some plastic. I have a little while til i get my 31's on (which is the whole reason im thinking abt fender flares. Damn wa fender laws suck!) please post pics on here or on ur build thread if you have one ill sub to it so i can see them when theyre posted. Do u know how wide of a tire/rim back spacing i could run with this? Im wanting to run 10.50 and just want to be sure this will give me enough coverage. Thanks!
i know I have bills to pay... And I didn't even need flares because nj don't care too much... But they look cool and as far as coverage... I have 32x11.50 on 3.75 back spacing and they literally come right to the edge of the tread....so for 31's you'll have a perfect coverage( I like the look of the tire sticking out just past the flare so it depends on your taste.)... What I did was order the pacer sample pack( 25 bucks on amazon )and you can test little 6 inch peices of the flares and see which works best because there are thinner or wider ones too

Quick Reply: Fender flare question