Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers seat mod/replacement to gain more headroom?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 10:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Drivers seat mod/replacement to gain more headroom?

an xj with a sunroof has proven to be smaller than it felt on the first testdrive. At 6' flat my head just touches the headliner sitting with the seat decently far back. I like to sit more upright but i just dont have the head clearance to do that, is there any way to mod the seat mounts to take an inch or two off? or any seats to purchase that will semi-bolt in that are lower? i tried searching here and a couple other forums, mostly just found people swapping seats to gain comfort/options but not for headroom.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Huh.. Dunno man. I don't know of any for jeep, It's usually a tuner/ricer thing. Doesn't mean they don't exist, though! A guy I know is like 6'7"ish and has to totally hunch when driving. Looks super sucky. Google the hell out of it, I guess. Somebody will have somethin for ya.. Good luck!
Old 10-12-2012, 02:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

It is hard in the 99 man because of that ridge on the floor. When I pulled my Hunsaker racing seats out of an older XJ and put them in my 99, it was a giant PITA. Chances are any aftermarket seat w/ a bracket is going to be even higher than the stock ones. I don't know how your welding skills are but it would not be all that hard to pull the seat out, cut the bracket, weld it back together a little lower and stick it in there.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Oh wait.. just did a search and found this. Might explain what I was talking about.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/low...s-my-xj-62689/
Old 10-12-2012, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001

I am 6'3" and swapped my drivers for a WJ leather seat (I think it was, a tboned 04 Grand) and found that I lost head room.

My 01 Sport doesn't have a sunroof so I still have an inch or so.

Most of the 'better' Jeep seats that bolt in seem to have better padding which translates into thicker seats which means less headroom.

I have dealt with the sunroof issue for years.

You could try having the seat modified or changing out the foam for stiffer thinner stuff. This would give you the support that you want and need with a thinner seat cushion.
Electric carving knife and sanding would shape the foam to match the shape and you could have a custom seat.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:46 PM
CF Veteran

If you don't mind a bench seat and losing the console bench seats from early Dakotas (87-90) should fit 96+ XJs with the rear mounts being direct bolt in. It will be significantly lower.

Last edited by motorcharge; 10-12-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by Ianf406
Oh wait.. just did a search and found this. Might explain what I was talking about.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/low...s-my-xj-62689/
Wow! This is exactly what I had in mind. I don't own a welder, but I can weld and do some fab work. Maybe borrow my buddy's garage for a day or so and see what we can make happen
Old 10-12-2012, 05:48 PM

Engine: 4.0L I6

Let us know, I'd be interested in seeing how this turns out. I'm 6' and hate staring at the top edge of the windshield when I'm driving.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
an xj with a sunroof has proven to be smaller than it felt on the first testdrive. At 6' flat my head just touches the headliner sitting with the seat decently far back. I like to sit more upright but i just dont have the head clearance to do that, is there any way to mod the seat mounts to take an inch or two off? or any seats to purchase that will semi-bolt in that are lower? i tried searching here and a couple other forums, mostly just found people swapping seats to gain comfort/options but not for headroom.
i am 6'5, i had to remove the back seat. lengthen the chair bracket so it went back further then tilt the seat. i drive it like a low rider. "leaned back" ha. cutting the bracket to lower it an inch might help. i was also thinking of just cutting a whole in the roof. seriously. bumping it up and installing a sunroof and maybe a space fro some exterior lights to mount and easy access switches. might just be easier to lower the seat. i was also looking into a lower profile seat from some other vehicle. might be worth a trip to the junk yard...

has anyone seen a xj with a bumped up roof?
Old 01-24-2019, 11:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998

I am 6'2" but sit tall (long waisted). For starters, I try to avoid any vehicle with a sunroof. I also don't like driving while leaned back.

In my Jeep, I managed to get about 1/4 inch more headroom. I know that this is a small amount of difference but it made enough difference for me to fit well.

I have a power seat which helps. I took the seat apart and removed the seat bracket. It had a ridge that lifted the seat by that !/4 inch and replaced it with a piece of 3/8" flat steel. I had to do some drilling but no big deal.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by windlover
I am 6'2" but sit tall (long waisted). For starters, I try to avoid any vehicle with a sunroof. I also don't like driving while leaned back.

In my Jeep, I managed to get about 1/4 inch more headroom. I know that this is a small amount of difference but it made enough difference for me to fit well.

I have a power seat which helps. I took the seat apart and removed the seat bracket. It had a ridge that lifted the seat by that !/4 inch and replaced it with a piece of 3/8" flat steel. I had to do some drilling but no big deal.
Thinking not having a power seat would benefit you. I had manual one piece bucket seats in my '00 XJ and swapped to removable headrests seats with power bases. I definitely sit higher. But I am shorter so it does not matter.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by Ralph77
Thinking not having a power seat would benefit you. I had manual one piece bucket seats in my '00 XJ and swapped to removable headrests seats with power bases. I definitely sit higher. But I am shorter so it does not matter.
My wife also drives the Jeep so the power seat is a real benefit.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by windlover
My wife also drives the Jeep so the power seat is a real benefit.
And then there is that. LOL.