Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do I need shackles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Litre Chrysler MPI, "High Output"
Default do I need shackles?

A couple months ago now I installed a rubicon express 3.5" lift with full leafs. I haven't driven much but just around town and offroad. But over the weekend I drove about 80 miles on some rougher roads and wow, what a beating I took. It rides so damn stiff especially in the rear. Obviously the new leafs are longer than stock given the added arch creating the lift. So when flexed out flat or close to it, they are longer than stock. I'm kind of thinking that the stock shackles may be limiting movement? But if I install longer shackles won't it lift the rear even higher? I already sit just slightly higher in the rear (less than a half inch) was thinking 2 inch coil spacers in front and 1 inch longer shackles in the rear. Just not sure what to do, and don't really want to just throw money at it to find its not what I need.
What do you guys think here?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

RC shackle relocation brackets.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:44 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

I put in some drop shackles made for lowering a chevy (cheaper and found at auto parts places) and then went with some Rancho 9000s. The ride difference was night and day. It rides like a caddy in the back now.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by OOdynamite
RC shackle relocation brackets.
this is your best bet...pretty easy and you wont have to keep throwing money at it
Old 01-03-2012, 02:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by War Eagle
this is your best bet...pretty easy and you wont have to keep throwing money at it
Plus, they improve the ride quality ten fold. To the OP, your shackles are probably nearly vertical to compensate for the difference in leaf sizes. You want them at about a 45degree slope. Those RC brackets are your answer and they don't have to increase the rear end lift.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:32 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Litre Chrysler MPI, "High Output"

Originally Posted by alpine.adrenaline

Plus, they improve the ride quality ten fold. To the OP, your shackles are probably nearly vertical to compensate for the difference in leaf sizes. You want them at about a 45degree slope. Those RC brackets are your answer and they don't have to increase the rear end lift.
When you say 45*. Is that 45 towards the front or rear. I haven't looked yet. But gona check it out after work today.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Not with a stock length shackle.
When the spring compresses and effectively gets longer the shackle will already be at its limit. It may rode worse with a stock shackle. It will actually have less arc, or travel.
You need a longer shackle. The springs will settle some too. So the height difference may end up being minimal after a bit of driving.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ct67_72
Not with a stock length shackle.
When the spring compresses and effectively gets longer the shackle will already be at its limit. It may rode worse with a stock shackle. It will actually have less arc, or travel.
You need a longer shackle. The springs will settle some too. So the height difference may end up being minimal after a bit of driving.
i see what youre saying, but wont the relocation brackets help to achieve the better angle? the relocation bracket would improve ride, but would hinder flex until the shackle is lengthened, which would increase the lift height of the rear end?
Old 01-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Former Sponsor

i see what youre saying, but wont the relocation brackets help to achieve the better angle? the relocation bracket would improve ride, but would hinder flex until the shackle is lengthened, which would increase the lift height of the rear end?
They will change the angle, but it doesnt really make it better.
think this way
figure also if the shackle is 3" long, and verticle, the most it can travel is 90 degrees, this will allow the spring to "lengthen" 3" under compression.
If its at 45 degrees already the spring can only "lengthen" 1.5" So it may hinder ride, and definitely flex. well uptravel anyway. you would still get more down travel.
The problem usually is that even during normal driving the spring compresses enough to "bottom out" the shackle. And make it ride even worse.
I hope that makes sense