Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

death wobble cure review

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default death wobble cure review

after getting a 4 inch lift and 33 inch tires I got death wobble super bad and I wrote a thread on here a couple months ago trying to get ride of it... it was so bad I didn't even drive my jeep anymore. I was really pissed thought about even getting ride of my jeep because no matter what i did I couldn't find anything wrong with my jeep to cause it and no one else could (mechanic friends and such) and we checked everything!! So I found this place called kevins off road and I actually thought they were super sketchy at first and i didn't really think they were that great but they had a death wobble cure kit. I'm not rich im in college so I didn't buy the whole thing which is like 600 I just bought http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/cart/in...oducts_id=1017 this one part which was a tract bar conversion kit that supposedly cured death wobble also. anyway it was about $350 bucks and it took forever to get to me!! I had to call them a couple times asking if it was on its way (something about bushings being out of stock) but after it finally arrived I took over to a friends shop put it on in about an hour or two just had a problem getting my old bar off. and then headed home to test it out. at first I was like crap this didn't work i still have death wobble. but then the next day i took it out again and the death wobble was completly gone. I've been slow on writing a review I haven't been on here in a while. But it's been about 4 or 5 months now and I haven't had death wobble again or even close to it. my jeep drives like brand new the steering got alot tighter and It rides crazy smooth. I LOVE it. I would completly do it again. anyway I hope this helped. I know how pissed off I was trying to get ride of my death wobble for so long and how i felt like it was never going to go away. let me know if anyone else has tried this and gotten the same results
Old 10-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Ill keep this in my pocket, if I cant cure my DW...
Old 10-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: Renix I6 4.0!

Most of the time its more than one thing. For me it was track bar, ball joints and a bent steering box brace.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:25 PM

I had checked my ball joints and steering stuff cause I thought that might had been one of the reasons so I already knew it wasn't anything like that I had a list of about 40 diff things that i read online could cause it and non of them were bad when i checked. the ppl I had took my jeep too said not to waste my money on buying a track bar kit because mine had nothing wrong with it at all they had checked it over a bunch they told me that nothing at all was wrong with my jeep and that I was just going to have to live with death wobble. so I was just like everyones telling me nothings wrong and something seriously is so I just kind of took a shot in the dark and tried it out
Old 10-29-2012, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by lukeincolorado
Most of the time its more than one thing. For me it was track bar, ball joints and a bent steering box brace.
P.s. your jeep is SEXY lol
Old 10-29-2012, 12:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

So you had bad trac bar ends or your geometry was off...and no one could help you figure that out?

Alright.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999.
Engine: 4.0, I6

so are you running a stock or aftermarket adj trac bar? that alone could be the issue the angles you run after lifting your jeep but keeping your stock steering are not close to the stock angles thus you need to upgrade accordingly, death wobbles tends to start in the same places, trac bar, ball joints (upper & lower) steering is simple loose, unbalanced tires etc. that link looks as if its just a mount for a stock trac bar which imo would be first place id look. good luck with everything tho!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: Renix I6 4.0!

Originally Posted by daniellemarie008

P.s. your jeep is SEXY lol
Haha it is now that I painted it champange
Old 10-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
So you had bad trac bar ends or your geometry was off...and no one could help you figure that out?

Alright.
+2. I would reconsider your "mechanic friends and such"
Old 10-29-2012, 04:38 PM

Year: 96
Engine: 4 liter

I looked at that kit too. I saved 200 bucks and went the IRO double sheer bracket (1/4" steel plate instead of a refabbed stock bracket) and included 2" thick solid steel adjustable track bar. BOMBPROOF.
The hardware on KOR's bar looks super beefy though!

I spent the 200 I saved not reinforcing stock stuff and threw in a stereo and upgraded headlights and harness.