Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D30 welding question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 01:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 renix
Default D30 welding question

From what i understand, the d30 knuckle is cast steel..not cast iron?
Would like to fab up a double sheer heim otk seet up for my axle. Would like to drill out the taper,install insert, then add a double sheer tab to the top? Would tig with er70s be appropriate for this?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2001 4.0L

i have always just migged knuckles since they are cast steel and not cast iron....never had a prob. im sure tigging would be better, as you have better heat control, but i know nothing about tig wire.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:29 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

ER70s will do good. Its more ideal for pipe and the likes but penitration and the tensile strenght of the material in the rod is great. I would find it hard to destroy using the 70. you will be good

Last edited by Metalgearmurder; 10-27-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Moved to Advanced Tech.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:11 PM
CF Veteran

^^^
Gee OH DEE

I believe this would be a ligitimit question to ask in the fabrication thread? Seeing how it is a welding/fabrication question for a current build. posssible to get an answer or opnion from someone who may have done this in the past? Can i get moved back to fabrication?
Old 10-27-2011, 05:52 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Domaas
^^^
Gee OH DEE

I believe this would be a ligitimit question to ask in the fabrication thread? Seeing how it is a welding/fabrication question for a current build. posssible to get an answer or opnion from someone who may have done this in the past? Can i get moved back to fabrication?
I can see where you are confused. However, at the top of the Fabrication section, with the rest of the Stickies, there is a thread. That thread explains what should and should not be included in the Fabrication thread. The link and contents of that thread are:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/ultimate-guide-fabrication-85599/
Originally Posted by nukinfuts29
Ok so maybe not the *ultimate* guide, but the title sure got you to read this so let's get to it!

The Fabrication section is confusing and misunderstood. When we hear "fabrication" we think this is the perfect place to post questions about building things right? Perfectly logical assumption, but wrong. Fabrication is reserved for completed and under going projects, not for questions and general chat about fabrication.

If you do have questions the best option is to search (top right of the website, down and to the left of your username) but we all know that can be an overwhelming tool. That in mind I have compiled a few of the most common things posted here that do not belong, and you may find them useful and informative

Need help welding? You can find threads about welders, welding, and other related topics here:

Welding Tips

Looking to build some home made stuff? Need ideas? This is the PERFECT thread for it. You will find lots of ideas, and it will also demonstrate the proper use for the Fabrication section!

Homebrew Jeep Mods

Time to build a bumper? Here are some users bumpers, ideas, and tricks!

Bumper Ideas

Using the search function:

The search tool is a powerful and confusing thing. This forum is so large that you may search for something and have a very hard time finding anything related to that. For example when making a search for bumper ideas, searching for "bumper ideas" it took me a good 15 minutes to find more than one useful thread. Why? Well simple, there is so much data here with those keywords.

What's the solution? Try getting clever with the keywords you are using. I tried searching by a specific bumper using "stinger" and i found much more useful information.

Another good trick is using google to search the forums. When you go to google and want to search for something, say bumper ideas, enter it as follows (without the " "):

"Bumper Ideas site:www.cherokeeforum.com"

When all else fails....

Feel free to make a post. You can follow the link below to submit you're question and get the answers you need!

Post a new question (Click Here)

************************************************** ************************************

Now, with all that said, I feel my action is more than appropriate.

Last edited by Gee oh Dee; 10-27-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:04 PM
CF Veteran

im picking up what your putting down....did a search..but the question was so specific..to a welding prosess, to the filler ...to the part. No worries.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:30 PM
CF Veteran

any input from this thread? Looking to do this really soon!
Old 10-30-2011, 10:44 AM
CF Veteran

This is neither here nor there...as i found what i needed over on pirate. And for any of those looking yes you can do it, mig , or tig.no problem.

Fabrication is reserved for completed and under going projects, not for questions and general chat about fabrication.

As for the mod...please read your own rules...then read the post carefuly before bumping accurate threads. Were all here to help each other.

Its sad when i have to go to pirate for an answer.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:00 AM
Registered Users

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0ho

I'da posted this in advanced tech myself, if it was my thread.

Figure, post the question in advanced tech, then when you do the actual fab work to your dif, take pics, and write down the details and make a thread in the fab section. Taking it from an idea on paper to the actual build would classify it then as fab.

now to defend the OP, I have also noticed, that yes this place is a massive source for good information and alot of general anwsers, but when it comes to certain things, it is alot harder to get an anwser.

and again to defend the forum, the question you asked would have really been in the hands of someone who has welded on the knuckle of a d30, which the average jeeper who does lifts lockers etc, hasnt done.

and in closing, I am glad you came back to post the anwser so in the future when someoen has the same question, the anwser will be infront of them and they wont have the search the entire internet to find it, tho I feel it could have been done without undermining the forum.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:12 AM
CF Veteran

Was in no inteded to undermine the forum what so ever!

I personally felt that the average content of "advanced tech" in not where you are going to find "prosses specic" welding questions.

Many fabricators, builders will search the fab thread and may never even seach the advanced tech section. Welding and tech discusions on temp sensors,sye,trans probs ect. are a different animal.

anyhow..no harm no foul..prob solved. Ill post pics of the welding prosses on my build thread for all to see...maybe even make a seperate treAD for all those interested in trying this themselfs.

As for now im trying to deal with rear spring options. Flip is out of the question as i dont want to run a traction bar. and only looking for 3" of stretch.
Once again thanks all for the great content of these forums.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:33 AM
CF Veteran

not for questions and general chat about fabrication.[/B][/I]

As for the mod...please read your own rules...then read the post carefuly before bumping accurate threads. Were all here to help each other.
Again, not for questions. Not hard to comprehend.

Its also a forum rule to never argue with any staff member. I do not suggest testing this further.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:42 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 87
Engine: 4.0

Personally I would just do a Wj knuckle conversion. instead of welding to a d30 knuckle. ALso Heim joints are not ideal for driving on the road.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:47 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It was/is not fab, and was moved to the proper section.....
Old 10-31-2011, 10:34 AM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

This is neither here nor there...as i found what i needed over on pirate. And for any of those looking yes you can do it, mig , or tig.no problem.

Fabrication is reserved for completed and under going projects, not for questions and general chat about fabrication.

Its sad when i have to go to pirate for an answer.
Read the third part AFTER your red section... Not for general questions... Wheres your pictutes of the process? Right now its advanced tech... Itll become fabrication when u start doing it and posting up pics and processes of it being done... Pirate is a good site to get information from as well but if u wanna come to CF and bash it then consider yourself a full time pirate forum searcher cause its not gonna continue here...

Quick Reply: D30 welding question