Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crossover Steering Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Crossover Steering Question

So I've been doing some looking around on miscellaneous steering and suspension upgrades I could do and I was wondering if I could go for something like this, but only the tie rod and drag link portion.

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-st...-steering.html

Would that still provide a benefit or would I be wasting my time? Is the new track bar and mount because it would hit the factory track bar mount?

Still looking, searching, and learning so any info or additional links anyone has would be great.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:15 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

The new track bar mount would keep the drag link and trac bar at the same angle. if you just did the otk steering then your trac bar would be at way more of an angle than your drag link. If they are at uneven angles (not parallel) that can give you really bad bumpsteer.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...-Steering-Kits
Old 10-31-2012, 12:12 AM

Ok, bringing this back from the dead, I need opinions.

Alignment shop said there was some play in the front end (they told me AFTER they aligned it...makes sense right?) so I'm just going to upgrade.

I need opinions on heim joints VS tie rod ends for a DD. As of now I don't plan on doing any SERIOUS wheeling, mostly logging trails and some very mild rocks etc. I don't plan on beating my Jeep up too bad just yet so it doesn't need to be nuke proof.

I'm looking at the Rusty's crossover style steering kit with TRE's

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...onversion.html

as well as looking at the Iron Rock Offroad kit with heim joints

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch..._Code=IR-TOTKS

The reason I chose these kits is because I'm not into drilling or reaming the knuckles, I want this to be bolt in.

I am slightly leery of heim joints, mostly because I have no first hand experience with them but I have heard (haven't we all heard something) that they tend to be noisy. I know it's a Jeep but I don't want to be clunking down the road when I commute either. I know maintenance for TRE is just squeeze some grease in the zirc (sp?) fitting and you're good, how about heims?

Input is appreciated. I'm hoping to get this ordered up in the next day or two so I can get the Jeep realigned since the shop didn't do so hot the first time around haha.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:09 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I use heims with nylon injected races on all my suspension and steering products. Helps to reduce any noise for longer and also increases life. I've never had any customers complain about noises with their crossover steering or even the over the axle track bar. The heims in my kits without any maintenance have proved to last longer then tie rod ends.

With suspension like 3 links and 4 links, the heims will tend to be more noisy then bushings because of the solid contact joint taking every crack and jolt in the road. I have ran my heims for over 2 years though, daily driving and really thrashing it on the weekends without having to maintain or replace them. A lot of jeep owners can't say the same about rubber or poly bushings.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:11 AM

That makes sense with the heim joints on control arms, they take a lot more of a beating than a tie rod or drag link does. I can see how they might make more noise in that application rather than on steering components.

I guess I just need to figure out which kit I want to order and pull the trigger. If anyone else has input on these two kits I'm happy to take it.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:11 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 2.5

Originally Posted by Trumpster
Ok, bringing this back from the dead, I need opinions.

Alignment shop said there was some play in the front end (they told me AFTER they aligned it...makes sense right?) so I'm just going to upgrade.

I need opinions on heim joints VS tie rod ends for a DD. As of now I don't plan on doing any SERIOUS wheeling, mostly logging trails and some very mild rocks etc. I don't plan on beating my Jeep up too bad just yet so it doesn't need to be nuke proof.

I'm looking at the Rusty's crossover style steering kit with TRE's

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...onversion.html

as well as looking at the Iron Rock Offroad kit with heim joints

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch..._Code=IR-TOTKS

The reason I chose these kits is because I'm not into drilling or reaming the knuckles, I want this to be bolt in.

I am slightly leery of heim joints, mostly because I have no first hand experience with them but I have heard (haven't we all heard something) that they tend to be noisy. I know it's a Jeep but I don't want to be clunking down the road when I commute either. I know maintenance for TRE is just squeeze some grease in the zirc (sp?) fitting and you're good, how about heims?

Input is appreciated. I'm hoping to get this ordered up in the next day or two so I can get the Jeep realigned since the shop didn't do so hot the first time around haha.
================================================== ====

If I remember correctly ALL crossover steering kits require you to ream out the knucks and refit the BJ.

Also,, BE SURE MAN,,, HEIMS are NOT LEGAL in some states for steering.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:18 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

Are you just on stock steering now? What size tires are you running?
Dont go with the rustys steering...thats a lot of money for something that just uses STOCK tre's.... Sure its nice to run down to oreilly and pick up a new tre when you wear out the pitiful stock one..but why spend the money and leave a weak spot?
Old 11-02-2012, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Xj88
Are you just on stock steering now? What size tires are you running?
Dont go with the rustys steering...thats a lot of money for something that just uses STOCK tre's.... Sure its nice to run down to oreilly and pick up a new tre when you wear out the pitiful stock one..but why spend the money and leave a weak spot?
I am on stock steering right now, so anything is an upgrade. I also don't play on wheeling too hard core at the moment as it will see pavement about 75% of the time.

The TRE's was something I was thinking about, but pulled the trigger on Rustys kit anyways. For some reason I just couldn't bring myself to go for the Serious Offroad setup even though it is slightly beefier and uses a beefier TRE.

I figured that although it would be spending money twice, someone out there will purchase the Rusty's kit if I want to move up the the Serious setup. I just wanted something that would be a direct bolt in for the time being.

I have to give serious props (no pun intended) to (I believe it was) Kevin at Serious Offroad though. Super quick on email responses and even took the time to call me to answer questions about his kit. I have a feeling I'll be spending money with him in the future. Customer service like that goes a long way with me. I'll gladly pay a bit more for excellent service even if it's the same product that can be purchased elsewhere at a lower price.

In the short time I've been modding my XJ I've already written one company off due to poor service and will not be working with them again.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

Should have just spent like 80 bucks on a zj tie rod and ends. Pretty decent upgrade
Old 11-02-2012, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Xj88
Should have just spent like 80 bucks on a zj tie rod and ends. Pretty decent upgrade
The only reason I didn't run this route is that I wanted to ditch the inverted Y steering and go to the knuckle to knuckle tie rod. Otherwise the ZJ tie rod and ends would have probably been what I went with.

I was considering the WJ (I think?) knuckle and steering swap but that's more than I can afford to invest right now. I'm already deeper than I expected to be with the lift, the usual with any car project I suppose.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Trumpster
I am on stock steering right now, so anything is an upgrade. I also don't play on wheeling too hard core at the moment as it will see pavement about 75% of the time.

The TRE's was something I was thinking about, but pulled the trigger on Rustys kit anyways. For some reason I just couldn't bring myself to go for the Serious Offroad setup even though it is slightly beefier and uses a beefier TRE.

I figured that although it would be spending money twice, someone out there will purchase the Rusty's kit if I want to move up the the Serious setup. I just wanted something that would be a direct bolt in for the time being.

I have to give serious props (no pun intended) to (I believe it was) Kevin at Serious Offroad though. Super quick on email responses and even took the time to call me to answer questions about his kit. I have a feeling I'll be spending money with him in the future. Customer service like that goes a long way with me. I'll gladly pay a bit more for excellent service even if it's the same product that can be purchased elsewhere at a lower price.

In the short time I've been modding my XJ I've already written one company off due to poor service and will not be working with them again.
Actually my name is Frank...

Glad to help when I can.

Slightly?..It's a helluva lot more than that.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
Actually my name is Frank...

Glad to help when I can.

Slightly?..It's a helluva lot more than that.

Haha, sorry I got it wrong, I'm on the phone with people all day long so I lose track of names from time to time.

You've been awesome, and I just posted in a thread brought back from the dead; I'm partially regretting not buying from you already and I haven't even received the part from Rusty's yet. If I wasn't such a sissy about drilling out my knuckles there would be absolutely no question I'd have your product.