Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

???Cold Air Intake???

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 09:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default ???Cold Air Intake???

Alright, I have been throwing the idea around to build my own air intake. I have some tubing here from another intake I can use. I have also found the coupler's I would want to use.

The problem is the filter. Seems to me that the stock filter has more surface area of most any cone filter. Wouldn't that mean flowing less air than stock? Stock filter is 13 or so inches long and 6ish inches wide. That is more surface area than a cone style intake filter. What's the point?
Old 04-21-2012, 09:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Your limited, ultimately, by the size of the TB and manifold inlet and not so much the filter itself. Granted, there is a minimum requirement for cfm's that you'd certainly not want to cross, but running a cone filter won't cross that line. Now.. What are you thinking for a setup?? Lots of really clever ideas already in existence.

Learned me a knew way to google today thanks to a fellow CF member!! What you do is in google, search this: "Site: cherokeeforum.com pictures of Cherokee intakes" that will get you all of the pics from here regarding intakes. Other topics would be pictures of "DIY", "homebrew", "aftermarket" or "cowel" intakes. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by VTJeep
Your limited, ultimately, by the size of the TB and manifold inlet and not so much the filter itself. Granted, there is a minimum requirement for cfm's that you'd certainly not want to cross, but running a cone filter won't cross that line. Now.. What are you thinking for a setup?? Lots of really clever ideas already in existence.

Learned me a knew way to google today thanks to a fellow CF member!! What you do is in google, search this: "Site: cherokeeforum.com pictures of Cherokee intakes" that will get you all of the pics from here regarding intakes. Other topics would be pictures of "DIY", "homebrew", "aftermarket" or "cowel" intakes. Good luck.

Yeah I use that search also.

For my intake, I am going to run a 90 degree red coupler right off the TB. Then into the intake piping in which I will powdercoat it Black or Red. I also thought about having my exhaust guy to bend me some 3" exhaust pipe since I would be powdercoating it anyhow. I was looking at some filter's on ebay.

Once I got it where it needs to be I am going to make a shield also. Just wondering about the filter thing. Do you think a 7" long filter in 5.25" in diameter will be enough flow?

After the intake I wanna do 784 injectors and possibly a bored throttle body. Should all work great with my Flowmaster exhaust.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:46 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by KFXHellRaiser

Yeah I use that search also.

For my intake, I am going to run a 90 degree red coupler right off the TB. Then into the intake piping in which I will powdercoat it Black or Red. I also thought about having my exhaust guy to bend me some 3" exhaust pipe since I would be powdercoating it anyhow. I was looking at some filter's on ebay.

Once I got it where it needs to be I am going to make a shield also. Just wondering about the filter thing. Do you think a 7" long filter in 5.25" in diameter will be enough flow?

After the intake I wanna do 784 injectors and possibly a bored throttle body. Should all work great with my Flowmaster exhaust.
So your doin a WAI? These are pretty hard to mess up, haha.. That's good for creativity, though! So you wanna run a flat filter instead of a cone? That could be difficult if your relocating it. Generally a cone or inline filter is better for space, unless running piping off of preexisting airbox out to snorkel or cowel..
The 784's are supposed to help and the bored TB won't do a thing unless boring out the manifold as well. Is that the plan?
Old 04-22-2012, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Injen an interesting selection of "cone" filters in a variety of sizes and shapes, might be worth a look.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Former Sponsor

So your doin a WAI? These are pretty hard to mess up, haha.. That's good for creativity, though! So you wanna run a flat filter instead of a cone? That could be difficult if your relocating it. Generally a cone or inline filter is better for space, unless running piping off of preexisting airbox out to snorkel or cowel..
The 784's are supposed to help and the bored TB won't do a thing unless boring out the manifold as well. Is that the plan?

I don't care to run a cone filter if it is going to flow as good or better than the stock filter. I am going to study some more on how I wanna do it. No plan on boring out the manifold so I guess I will pass on the bored TB. Just a nice custom intake and 784's should be good with my exhaust.

I gotta get rid of these 3.07 gears. I hate 3.07 gears. What was they thinking when they put airplane gears in the 5-speeds? I wanna get some 3.55's at least which should be an easy find. Prefer 3.73 but I know I won't find any and if I do they won't be cheap.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

Trick with gearing is its pretty pricey, so you'd want a one and done install. Just thinkin out loud... As for the intake, seriously consider the cowel style. Slick and waterproof!
Old 04-22-2012, 12:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Trick with gearing is its pretty pricey, so you'd want a one and done install. Just thinkin out loud... As for the intake, seriously consider the cowel style. Slick and waterproof!

Yeah, I am thinking finding whole diffs ready to roll at a local junkyard for a couple hundred bucks and swapping them in while doing a lift. Makes sense to me anyhow.