Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COIL SPACER/JKS BUMPSTOP OPTION/QUESTIONs

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998 & 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default COIL SPACER/JKS BUMPSTOP OPTION/QUESTIONs

Well, the (bulk of) the parts for my 98 Cherokee "Upcountry" are on their way to the house, as of yesterday ! I've wanted a reliable, mildly lifted/aggressive 4by for yrs, and this spring, it'll happen.
Thanks to many of you here!

I went with an "UpCountry" build/list that another member offered up on previous post of mine. Got everything coming except for one item; the front coil spacers he recommended; I'm not a fan of spacers, that's all. But he also mentioned bumpstop spacers being another solution. I know what those are, but what I want to know is if, in using them, does that mean I don't need the spacers? And if that is the case, does anyone know anything/have any experience with, these: https://jksmfg.com/c-381158-shop-by-...ump-stops.html

The price doesn't bother me; I like them because they can be adjusted to 3" ...BUT....they are made of metal....and I don't know if that's a good thing, or not...?

It"s my hope I can get a more precise fit, without trimming the bumpstops, and still get full use of my shocks/flex, with these...I get this ordered, I will then have ALL the major parts to give BigRed it's new stance (I'm hoping it'll sit level-ish, too; that'd be a bonus, to me)!

I have a few other questions regarding tire/wheel size; gearing & backspacing with this lift (I want to do as little trimming as necessary, so (maybe) will go a lil' smaller than 31's....but that is a post for another time; I've got all winter to figure that out and get the order in....and it's fun to research and learn, here in WI, when winter hits, for me.

Thanks again, everyone, for helping this noob realize a 25 yr+ dream.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L L6 OHV 12V

Originally Posted by 9998Cherokees
I went with an "UpCountry" build/list that another member offered up on previous post of mine. Got everything coming except for one item; the front coil spacers he recommended; I'm not a fan of spacers, that's all. But he also mentioned bumpstop spacers being another solution. I know what those are, but what I want to know is if, in using them, does that mean I don't need the spacers? And if that is the case, does anyone know anything/have any experience with, these: https://jksmfg.com/c-381158-shop-by-...ump-stops.html

The price doesn't bother me; I like them because they can be adjusted to 3" ...BUT....they are made of metal....and I don't know if that's a good thing, or not...?
This is a little confusing. Those are coil under bump stops to reduce the risk of over travel when you articulate. I don’t think you will get any lift out of those.

If you are trying to get lift, check out the JKS 2200 Front Adjustable Coil Over Spacer System for Jeep TJ/XJ/MJ/ZJ. They replace your factory bump stops and are adjustable on the fly up to 3 1/2” of lift. No spacers required.

Maybe I am reading your post wrong.

Last edited by Rlmx; 12-13-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: Renix 4.0

Coil spacers are used above the coil spring. The body of the jeep sits on the coil, so adding a spacer on the coil will lift the body.
They are used to level the front end with the rear, so that the rear doesn't sit high.

On a side note: The coil spacer should go above the factory coil spring isolator (rubber bushing above the spring).
The coil spring isolator should always be in contact with the spring. It's usually a good idea to get new isolators when replacing the springs.

The idea of spacing or extending the bump stops is to limit up travel to keep the tires from rubbing when the axle bottoms out (or articulates). the bump stop is the point of contact. You can extend the bump stop, or put a spacer on the axle (inside the coil spring).
On larger lifts it can be common to use both extended bump stops and bump stop spacers in combination.
The JKS spacers will work fine . The factory bump stop plate is already steel.

The wheels I chose are 17"x8.5" 5"x4.5" Bolt Pattern - 4.5" Backspace.
My tires are 33.3" x 11.8" (4" lift) with no rubbing at full steering lock.
The tires are also tucked nicely into the wheel wells.

You want tire to be wider than the rim so that the bead locks on under pressure.
The size of the rim is up to you. smaller rims give you more sidewall on the tire for scrubbing rocks and such.
For your tire size I recommend a 3.75" minimum - 4.5" maximum backspace (if you're using adapters take them into account) with a 7" - 8" wide wheel.
Most 5"x4.5" jeep wheels will fall into this category.

Last edited by craigjacob1; 12-13-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998 & 1999

Rlmx Thanks for the reply; I am a total noob @ this, and surely no mechanic....no one gets more confused than I, lol.....I'm learning as I go; hoping not to order wrong parts & do it right once. Can't afford too many mistakes , and am hoping to get full use out of the suspension without rubbing. And am trying to do it all with as little cutting/trimming as possible. Tall order, I know.

Originally Posted by craigjacob1
Coil spacers are used above the coil spring. The body of the jeep sits on the coil, so adding a spacer on the coil will lift the body.
They are used to level the front end with the rear, so that the rear doesn't sit high.

On a side note: The coil spacer should go above the factory coil spring isolator (rubber bushing above the spring).
The coil spring isolator should always be in contact with the spring. It's usually a good idea to get new isolators when replacing the springs.

The idea of spacing or extending the bump stops is to limit up travel to keep the tires from rubbing when the axle bottoms out (or articulates). the bump stop is the point of contact. You can extend the bump stop, or put a spacer on the axle (inside the coil spring).
On larger lifts it can be common to use both extended bump stops and bump stop spacers in combination.
The JKS spacers will work fine . The factory bump stop plate is already steel.
Craigjacob1, thanks for the reply; since it's your advice I took on putting my own lift together, I hope I am on the same page.
Thanks for the info on the isolators also; since my mechanic will be the one tearing into this, i'll get them, too...it's only labor costs, lol.

I'm going to get the JKS spacers if that'll do what I need; hope they are the correct ones---I say this because I know the leafs & coils are for MJ's (least that's how I read when looking @ the item numbers you posted for the other parts I have ordered).....wondering, do I need to order for those instead, as the coils are not specifically for XJ?
Also---I am still a little confused, though I think I know----but want to be sure, before I order: It is correct that I can JUST use the JKS bumpstop spacers, and not the coil spacers, to finish/achieve the same thing?
Once I know for sure on these things, I'm hoping to be good to go. , as far as having all the components I need.

Thanks, too, for the tire/wheel info....that's next, but i'll address that later in another thread if I have questions. Want to get the lift sorted, 1st. But it's helpful, because now I have just a few places I need to look...

Last edited by 9998Cherokees; 12-14-2018 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:05 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee

https://jksmfg.com/i-9056829-cheroke...il-spacer.html

Nothing wrong with coil spacers 2" and under. IMO.

The ACOS linked here are a nice option if you have the coin. The bump stops you linked do not lift the vehicle.

You need lift coils or spacers to provide the lift then bump stops that prevent the tires from rubbing when the suspension is compressed.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: Renix 4.0

The coil spacers and bump stops are interchangeable with the mj.

Again the Coil Spacers lift the vehicle. .75" coil spacers = .75" lift. They are necessary to level the vehicle.

Bump Stop Spacers limit the up travel of the axle. You can use extended bump stops instead, but you still need coil spacers either way.

https://www.amazon.com/Daystar-Wrangler-extended-polyurethane-KJ09101BK/dp/B001GH1O9C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544838000&sr=8-3&keywords=extended+bump+stops https://www.amazon.com/Daystar-Wrangler-extended-polyurethane-KJ09101BK/dp/B001GH1O9C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544838000&sr=8-3&keywords=extended+bump+stops