Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

choosing the right shock lengths

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 07:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default choosing the right shock lengths

i'm in the market for some bilsteins and i'm not sure about the correct length and travel for my lift. I have around 4.5" of lift but with the relocation boxes i'll add in the rear i'll probably end up at 5", 5.5" max. and i want to get this right

this is what i end up with after my research, are those the right sizes for my application? if not care to explain how to pick the right ones? thanks!

For the front :
#BIL24-185943
  • Collapsed Length (IN): 16.97
  • Extended Length (IN): 28.44
  • Travel Length (IN): 11.47
For the rear:

#BIL33-151663
  • Collapsed Length (IN): 15.91
  • Extended Length (IN): 25.93
  • Travel Length (IN): 10.02
Old 07-25-2017, 07:49 AM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche
Engine: 4.0

only accurate way is to measure for yourself compressed and extended lengths.

whats the distance between mounts at ride height? front will be too long in my opinion.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:23 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 89eliminator
only accurate way is to measure for yourself compressed and extended lengths.

whats the distance between mounts at ride height? front will be too long in my opinion.
that's the thing, I'm not equipped nor have a place to flex in order to get those measurements. living in an appartment that doesn't allow you to work in your parking makes things kinda hard. i usually go to my dads when i have to do something but it's too far to get a measurement.

i'm hoping some kind of chart exists or someone with similar heights can chime in, but in the meantime i will get the measurements at ride height and report back.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998

Cane,

Not to sound harsh but if getting it correct is truly your goal (and I believe this is the only correct way so, good on you for having that mentality) you have to measure. If you don't, you are only in the ballpark. When flex-time comes do you want to risk it not being correct?

Though it may not be convenient you'll be glad you did.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:27 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 4WD4EVER
Cane,

Not to sound harsh but if getting it correct is truly your goal (and I believe this is the only correct way so, good on you for having that mentality) you have to measure. If you don't, you are only in the ballpark. When flex-time comes do you want to risk it not being correct?

Though it may not be convenient you'll be glad you did.
no worries, and i know that'd be the best way, but i figured there could be someone that went through the same thing and can share what they did. if that doesn't happen i'll have no choice but to wait until i can measure because like you said i want to do it the right way.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:05 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Cane
no worries, and i know that'd be the best way, but i figured there could be someone that went through the same thing and can share what they did. if that doesn't happen i'll have no choice but to wait until i can measure because like you said i want to do it the right way.
Understood. The biggest issue is there are multiple variables involved, even for the same lift mfr on the same MY vehicle, that certain components (in this case, shocks) may not yield the same benefits as someone else. By using your measurements you negate that possibility.

Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Serious question.....how do you flex to get the measurements ?

If you just jack up the drivers side front, it will go so far, then the whole jeep will lift....but if you do that at the same time as you jack up the passengers rear, it will flex more.

What is the best way to get the measurements ??
Old 07-25-2017, 11:08 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by TRCM

If you just jack up the drivers side front, it will go so far, then the whole jeep will lift....but if you do that at the same time as you jack up the passengers rear, it will flex more.

See post #5 from Serious:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/sh...suring-130806/
Old 07-25-2017, 11:37 AM
CF Veteran

that's also useful, thanks.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:12 PM
CF Veteran

Yes, removing the shocks will remove the compression & droop limits induced by the shocks physical limits, that's pretty obvious.

That's not what I am asking.....how do you flex the suspension with nothing but a floor jack ?

And to get max flex, you need to be able to lift opposing corners at the same time. or is 1 corner at a time 'close enough' ?

Seems to me the only correct way to do it would be to remove the coil springs and leaf springs, but how do you locate the axle then ?
Old 07-25-2017, 12:39 PM
CF Veteran

Yes, removing the shocks will remove the compression & droop limits induced by the shocks physical limits, that's pretty obvious.

That's not what I am asking.....how do you flex the suspension with nothing but a floor jack ?

And to get max flex, you need to be able to lift opposing corners at the same time. or is 1 corner at a time 'close enough' ?

Seems to me the only correct way to do it would be to remove the coil springs and leaf springs, but how do you locate the axle then ?

Ah, sorry. No, you need an incline, ramp, forklift or something more than a floorjack and the coils/leafs need to be on.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:47 PM
CF Veteran

Ah, sorry. No, you need an incline, ramp, forklift or something more than a floorjack and the coils/leafs need to be on.

OK, that's kinda what I figured, but wanted to be sure as I'll likely have to do the same shortly.

Will just have to figure something out I guess..................

Flexing for shock measurments is also a good time to figure out bumpstop needs as well.................................

Last edited by TRCM; 07-25-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

loading dock, rocks in a parking lot, lots of options that will esaily flex it out. Try to run it up high enough so that the tire doesnt quite hit the fender at full compression, and you can turn it lock to lock at said compression. then measure that distance on both on the drooped coil and the compressed coil. Now is a good time to measure for bumpstops, as bumps and shocks go hand in hand. Ideally, you want to install your bumpstops first.