Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear axle alignment after 3in lift

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Default Rear axle alignment after 3in lift

Rear axle alignment after installing lift??
hey guys, I have been installing a bastard leaf spring pack from an s10 the past two days on and off on my 1993 cherokee, and have had zero problems until now. I've gotten one side completely put in and done, but on the driver side I've got the leaf springs bolted in but I can't get the axle to line up. The axle seems to be tilted to the left(towards front) a good 4 inches. And no matter what I do I can't get it to budge. I've connected ratchet straps and tried pulling it and I've even hooked up my other car to see if I could get it to move at all. But nothing is working and instead of the axle moving forward the entire jeep moves.(tires drag and everything). I was supposed to get the new tires on today but had to cancel because I couldn't get this figured out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I also created a new thread because everywhere I see this problem people say to just connect ratchet straps and that isn't working
Old 07-21-2017, 11:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Loosen the u bolts on the other side then get both sides ligned up before you tighten the nuts.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by 00t444e
Loosen the u bolts on the other side then get both sides ligned up before you tighten the nuts.
I thought that at first and so I had both sides free but still the same problem.
But I did finally discover the problem. The driveshaft is at quite an angle and the u joint was at an angle where it was stuck/jammed.They say I don't need a transfer case drop down bracket with a 3in, so I'm guessing these leafs added a little more than 3 because the driveshaft is almost falling out due to the angle and it's shaking when driving. Anything that I'm missing? Or should I just try to order a drop down bracket. Thanks
Old 07-21-2017, 12:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Nick's Farm
I thought that at first and so I had both sides free but still the same problem.
But I did finally discover the problem. The driveshaft is at quite an angle and the u joint was at an angle where it was stuck/jammed.They say I don't need a transfer case drop down bracket with a 3in, so I'm guessing these leafs added a little more than 3 because the driveshaft is almost falling out due to the angle and it's shaking when driving. Anything that I'm missing? Or should I just try to order a drop down bracket. Thanks
do you still have the stock fender flares? If so we should be able to see how much lift you got.... you'll probably be better off with an sye instead of a transfer case drop
Old 07-21-2017, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
do you still have the stock fender flares? If so we should be able to see how much lift you got.... you'll probably be better off with an sye instead of a transfer case drop
I've heard a lot about the sye but don't have much knowledge or experience with them. I have heard the price can get up there, and I only bought the jeep for 750$ so I'm hoping to not throw too much money at it within the first few weeks of having it, but you've gotta do what you gotta do.

I just went outside and measured the wheel gap and I'm about 8in. Not sure what the stock was... and I knew I should've measured it before I started. Is that roughly around 3-4in in lift? And is that too much to install a tc drop kit?
thanks
Old 07-21-2017, 01:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

I have a 4.5" lift, and 31" tires

not sure of the gap wheel to flare, but the center of the flares on mine are 36" from the ground if that helps.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've heard a lot about the sye but don't have much knowledge or experience with them. I have heard the price can get up there, and I only bought the jeep for 750$ so I'm hoping to not throw too much money at it within the first few weeks of having it, but you've gotta do what you gotta do.

I just went outside and measured the wheel gap and I'm about 8in. Not sure what the stock was... and I knew I should've measured it before I started. Is that roughly around 3-4in in lift? And is that too much to install a tc drop kit?
thanks
the way you measure is from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the flare... stock is 17.5 inches front and 17 in the back
Old 07-21-2017, 01:26 PM

Here's some pictures to show the angle I'm dealing with.

And I've got stock tires and fender flares and my height from center of wheel to flare is 22in. How in the world did I get 5in from this.... it was only supposed to be 3.

Last edited by Nick's Farm; 07-21-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

thanks
No also axle shims might be needed. Cost effective transfer case drop. Longer bolts with nuts as spacers.
Attached Images  

Last edited by freegdr; 07-21-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:21 PM
CF Veteran

Here's some pictures to show the angle I'm dealing with.

And I've got stock tires and fender flares and my height from center of wheel to flare is 22in. How in the world did I get 5in from this.... it was only supposed to be 3.
Too many springs...
Old 07-21-2017, 04:13 PM

Well in the s10 pack they call for the original top leaf from the jeep and then add the entire s10 pack underneath that after cutting the eyelets off of the s10 top leaf. Then put it all together and install for 3-4 inches of lift( usually exactly 3.5). And somehow I got 5inches. Does anyone have any experience with this particular leaf spring pack? And could maybe tell me which leaf I should remove from the pack to lower it an inch to two inches? Without going too low. I thought this would be a simple little project but they sure do make everything go as smooth as butter in the videos and forums.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:48 PM

I don't have any experience with bastard packs but I had some trouble getting everything to line up with my RE 3.5" leaf packs(21.5" from center axle to stock center flare). Ending up needing a 1" TC drop due to yoke binding. The drop kit is cheap and I know it hurts clearance, But it's a band aid until I can drop $250 for a SYE and $300 for an Adams driveshaft.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by DeadmeatXJ
I don't have any experience with bastard packs but I had some trouble getting everything to line up with my RE 3.5" leaf packs(21.5" from center axle to stock center flare). Ending up needing a 1" TC drop due to yoke binding. The drop kit is cheap and I know it hurts clearance, But it's a band aid until I can drop $250 for a SYE and $300 for an Adams driveshaft.
sounds like that would work for me. Do you enjoy the one you got and how much did it run? Thanks man
Old 07-22-2017, 05:03 AM
CF Veteran

Save money install sye and hit local u pull......Read.....https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/lo...engths-126247/
Old 07-22-2017, 07:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

The driveshaft is dangerously close to comming out. If it does the it usually rips off the tail cone. I'd opt for a SYE too. The hack n tap may be your cheapest route.

As far as the S-10 leafs. Every pack is different & it will be trial & error until it's perfect. Part of the game to get cheap lift.