Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumper Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Bumper Opinions?

I plan to replace the stock front and rear bumpers, eventually. When I have the money. For bumpers I've been looking at the RC winch bumper, the Affordable Offroad Elite Prerunner winch bumper and rear set, the Victory 4x4 front and rear modular bumpers, and the JCR front and rear bumpers. (Not really considering these,since they're so damn expensive.)

So out of the bumpers I've listed, which ones should I go with? Or is it really preference and how much I'm willing to spend? When I do purchase bumpers eventually, I want them to be quality and be worth the price. Or are there bumpers that I haven't looked at that I should? Give me your opinions and experiences you've had with your bumpers!

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2016, 08:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.6 I6

Take a look at Dirtbound Off-road. They have both DIY welding options or pre built. I love my DIY Mojave bumper with pre runner hoopkit.

Bumper Opinions?-forumrunner_20160915_213047.png
Old 09-15-2016, 08:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Bigthoven370
I plan to replace the stock front and rear bumpers, eventually. When I have the money. For bumpers I've been looking at the RC winch bumper, the Affordable Offroad Elite Prerunner winch bumper and rear set, the Victory 4x4 front and rear modular bumpers, and the JCR front and rear bumpers. (Not really considering these,since they're so damn expensive.)

So out of the bumpers I've listed, which ones should I go with? Or is it really preference and how much I'm willing to spend? When I do purchase bumpers eventually, I want them to be quality and be worth the price. Or are there bumpers that I haven't looked at that I should? Give me your opinions and experiences you've had with your bumpers!

Thanks!
I have the rc bumper that I got for a good deal. I like it. Sticks out a bit but I don't mind. It does its job haha
Old 09-15-2016, 10:30 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by shooptube
Take a look at Dirtbound Off-road. They have both DIY welding options or pre built. I love my DIY Mojave bumper with pre runner hoopkit.

Attachment 294211
I will second DBO, Max is a great guy, and one of us...excellent product, service, and there for ya if something goes caca.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:08 AM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

Check out Ares Fab. I run his stuff on 3 of my Jeeps.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The only cheaper ones i would run are dirtbound off road and ares fab.Both are well known and trusted by us.Some of these cheaper bumper companies have been known to take months even up to 6 months to send out a bumper.Thats if you ever get it a couple of those bumper companies took peoples money and ran.So do you homework if you go with one a not known company.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

What ever bumpers you decide on make sure of several things quality, material thickness, recovery points and most of all how well they mount to your XJ front and rear like number of fasteners used and ext. plates. If you do not have nut strips on your XJ you will need them also for the rear bumper mount some companies do include them.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:57 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Model: Comanche

Originally Posted by roninofako
I will second DBO, Max is a great guy, and one of us...excellent product, service, and there for ya if something goes caca.
I 3rd DBO! Hell of a tough bumper, and good looking. Mine has taken some pretty hard hits on the trail and takes it like a champ.

Name:  5C93A56F-3E8B-4837-9616-96890D67B1CC_zps9nufhihx.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  207.1 KB
Old 09-16-2016, 04:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Gonna jump on the DBO bandwagon as well I'm running their DIY Mojave kit with grill guard and love it. I ordered it right when Max was moving the shop, took longer than anticipated to get my kit due to the relocation so Max threw in the grille guard for free! Awesome company and great customer service. I've killed a Nissan that pulled out in front of me and also taken down a deer with my bumper and with no obvious damage.

IMO the RC bumper makes your rig look like it has a horrible under bite.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:14 PM

Glad to see I am not the only one on the Dirtbound Off-road band wagon. They really go above and beyond on the quality and customer service. I will say the beat way to contact them is to email them if you have any questions.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:20 PM

jcr diy ftw. love mine. plowed a nissan altima gong 45. jeep lived. nissan died. unibody tie in brackets as well. very impressed.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by Josh94xj
jcr diy ftw. love mine. plowed a nissan altima gong 45. jeep lived. nissan died. unibody tie in brackets as well. very impressed.
I was looking at the JCR DIY when I bought my DBO. Just didn't like the square corners on the JCR and the fact that frame tie-ins on a non-winch bumper is a costly add on. Where as tie ins are standard on all DBO bumpers.

Just my two Lincolns
Old 09-16-2016, 10:55 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by chipmaker
Gonna jump on the DBO bandwagon as well I'm running their DIY Mojave kit with grill guard and love it. I ordered it right when Max was moving the shop, took longer than anticipated to get my kit due to the relocation so Max threw in the grille guard for free! Awesome company and great customer service. I've killed a Nissan that pulled out in front of me and also taken down a deer with my bumper and with no obvious damage.

IMO the RC bumper makes your rig look like it has a horrible under bite.

I, too, bought from him right before the move...got my stiffeners from him. At that time, he was local to me. Drove down, picked up my ****, and ended up chatting with him for a good hour or so. REALLY wish I would have found them sooner, before they left the state, LOL

Cool guy. Good products. Good prices. Excellent customer service. 'Nuff said.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:04 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L I6

Been awhile since I've been on CF, but thanks for all of your opinions guys! Did some more research and looked at more bumpers to get more of an idea of whats out there. Gotta say I'm quite impressed with the look and price of the DBO bumpers. Gonna have to say I'll eventually be on the DBO bandwagon!
Old 10-24-2016, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bigthoven370
Been awhile since I've been on CF, but thanks for all of your opinions guys! Did some more research and looked at more bumpers to get more of an idea of whats out there. Gotta say I'm quite impressed with the look and price of the DBO bumpers. Gonna have to say I'll eventually be on the DBO bandwagon!
Glad to hear. When you go to place your order, use promo code THANKS for 10% off

Quick Reply: Bumper Opinions?