Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On board air idea.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter in-line six
Default On board air idea.

Alright guys. I hate to start a new thread, but I want to see what you think of my planned on-board-air setup. I don't have any specifics picked (like the pump brand or hard line versus soft line), I just want the general plans critiqued.

MY POST ON ANOTHER FORUM

....making jokes....

BACK ON TOPIC!! SO. I was thinking about this on-board air thing. (for realzies this time!) Some of you are saying that no tank is better because then you don't have to worry about the compressor trying to fill both your tire and the tank. Gentlemen, what I am about to propose is probably the greatest 10:15 P.M. brainstorm I personally have ever had. XD (so if you want to hate on it, go ahead.. But I'm pretty freakin' proud of myself. :P)

Why not have the best of both worlds? Could you not do as my expertly drawn diagram below shows and put a quick-disconnect after the pump, a shut-off valve after that, and then your air tank(s) with another (or multiple) quick disconnects after the tank(s)? Then, you use your tanks until they are depleted, shut the valve and use the compressor only, and then when you're done you open the valve back up and let the tanks fill as you wheel/drive?

Name:  OBAplans_zps98608b56.png
Views: 25
Size:  37.1 KB

I have genius moments sometimes.. I *think* this was one of them.

JUST FOR THE RECORD: I'm probably not the first to come up with this idea. But I didn't ****** it from anyone's build thread. I came up with it after looking at a shut-off valve I have installed on an air line so I could bleed it out before unhooking it from the wall at the shop. (makes hooking up/unhooking a lot easier, plus there is no giant- and rather loud -WHOOSH! of air as it is unhooked.)
Old 01-14-2014, 10:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

It has been done and it will work. I can tell you that even a big Viair compressor would take forever to fill all three tanks.

If all you want is to fill tires. Get a Nice Viair compressor and a 2 gallon tank. That will work for tires.

If you want to use for tools, Then start looking at engine driven compressor. Either the stock a/c compressor or a york compressor added on.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:33 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is that you might want a check valve or two, so that if you damage a rocker/bumper tank over rocks or whatnot, you will still have tank space from your other tanks. Or, you could just use a hand valve. While I'm not a fan of unnecessary connections, I think that could be worthwhile.

Other than that, looks like a good set-up!
Old 01-14-2014, 10:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

If you are planning on using your AC compressor you will need a pressure relief valve 150psi and a pressure switch 80-120 psi. I built my sliders as tanks and it works great. I have friends that use the bumpers as tanks also.
The pressure relief valve is the most important item in the system. I have been told the the AC compressor can reach pressures upwards of 500 psi and that’s not good.
There are a lot of OBA threads around to get information.

Good luck