Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beefing my XJ

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Beefing my XJ

I have a 93 Cherokee Sport 4 door I've recently blowed out my front two shocks. I know that I can swap axles from a 96 grand cherokee to my 93 Cherokee. So I'm wondering if the shocks from the grand Cherokee is compatible and if so what else is compatible I would assume the calibers, coil, etc and much more right? Could anyone help me out I have a buddy with a 96 Grand Cherokee that's willing to give it to me if I can use parts off of it.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

the grand axle will work in your xj, but it is a low pinion axle, not very desirable. the shocks should fit if it's stock height but if yours is lifted, you will want extended shocks.
rear axle in the grand is a coil sprung axle, your xj is leaf, so the grand axle won't work unless you want to convert your xj to coil rear, or convert the axle to leaf spring perches.
personally, i would skip it all together. these two don't share anything, really.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Like said above the grand has a low pinion Dana 30 and your XJ has the stronger high pinion Dana 30, the rear axle won't work without some fabricating, and it is either a Dana 35 or Dana 44a, neither of which is worth the trouble of swapping.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciate the information it will save me alot of time and hassle. I've just recently got my first Cherokee im loving it so fare wasn't expecting a Uni body but it is what it is. One more question Is that my transfer case is acting up I can NOT engage 4L I've attempted every way I could think of I've even disconnected my shifter linkage and attempted it by hand. It did however engage one time for me it geared down and began to pop like you've never heard. So something seems to be slipping or not fully engaging and my fluid is fine I've checked anything would help thanks.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Model: Cherokee

the popping could be a stretched chain in your transfer case. these cases are very simple and quite easy to replace the chain, with just a few hand tools and a bit of mechanical knowledge. but i'm sure anyone can do it, once you break the case open. there are vids on youtube that will help a novice.
as for the shifting part, it could just need adjustment in the linkage. you could pop the linkage off the lever on the t-case and use a pipe or something to slip over the lever to make it easier to move through the gears.

i would start by checking the level of fluid in the t-case and go from there.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:39 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by JSawyer
I really appreciate the information it will save me alot of time and hassle. I've just recently got my first Cherokee im loving it so fare wasn't expecting a Uni body but it is what it is. One more question Is that my transfer case is acting up I can NOT engage 4L I've attempted every way I could think of I've even disconnected my shifter linkage and attempted it by hand. It did however engage one time for me it geared down and began to pop like you've never heard. So something seems to be slipping or not fully engaging and my fluid is fine I've checked anything would help thanks.

It's not uni-body.

It's uni-FRAME