Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.

Axle Swap questions

Old 02-25-2019, 07:58 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Axle Swap questions

I'm having a hard time finding what I need using the search functions.

I want to put dana 60 axles on my XJ. I see Artec has a weld on kit for the front axle to make installing it super easy. I can't find any information on whats involved on installing the rear axle? Can I get a dana 60 axle that will just bolt in or will I need to modify it? Please advise on what axle I will need for the rear and what doner vehicle I can get it from. I want to make sure both axles have the same bolt pattern.

Also, I see a lot of people putting in JK dana 44 axles. From what I found it looks like the front just bolts in and then I will need to get a kit for the rear? Is this correct?

I want to run 37's on my XJ. I currently have 37's on my JK and haven't had any issues yet I do have it trussed. So I wouldn't be imposed to sticking some dana 44's on my XJ.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:49 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

If you want 1 ton axles then I would look for a Superduty to get the axles from, you can find 4x4 gas Superdudys for pretty cheap. They will have a Ford 10.5 rear and a Dana 50 front on the 99-01 models or a Dana 60 on 02 and newer. All of those axles are capable of handling 40s or larger on an XJ.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:26 AM

Model: Cherokee

I am running a G2 Core 44 in my XJ on 37's with no problem. The axle is a straight bolt in, I got mine with 4:88 gears and a Eaton E locker. The G2 axle is extremely beefy - stronger than the JK Rubicon 44. I decided to run a 44 vs a 60, since I am not going bigger than 37's, wanted extra ground clearance vs a 60 as well as something that was a straight bolt in. If you are going bigger than 37's , and have fab skills as mentioned earlier, you can get Superduty 60's and toss them in! I really like the 78-79 F250, F350 axles, because of the drivers side axle tube length, though the are tougher to find these days. I ran that setup on my 69 Early Bronco with 39' s and hummer wheels and had great results.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998 (buggy), 1998 DD

Originally Posted by krisko24 View Post
I'm having a hard time finding what I need using the search functions.

I want to put dana 60 axles on my XJ. I see Artec has a weld on kit for the front axle to make installing it super easy. I can't find any information on whats involved on installing the rear axle? Can I get a dana 60 axle that will just bolt in or will I need to modify it? Please advise on what axle I will need for the rear and what doner vehicle I can get it from. I want to make sure both axles have the same bolt pattern.

Also, I see a lot of people putting in JK dana 44 axles. From what I found it looks like the front just bolts in and then I will need to get a kit for the rear? Is this correct?

I want to run 37's on my XJ. I currently have 37's on my JK and haven't had any issues yet I do have it trussed. So I wouldn't be imposed to sticking some dana 44's on my XJ.
If you want 60's, prepare for rather immense amount of fabrication work.

A rear D60 is a waste, the rear is the easy part if you're staying on leafs.

The front, on a full bodied rig...not the easiest. There's a LOT more than just slapping the axles in if you want your rig to survive the weight of one tons.

Me, I'd never do it. I'd find a rig with a real frame and then look into it.

If you're planning on 37's max, I would source some built JK 44's and put those in. Much easier swap, and should hold up.

I've seen fully built JK44 sets (trusses, RCV's, etc. etc.) for about $4-5k.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:47 AM

You can get a drop in G2 Dana 44, ready to go with a ARB, 4:88's - for a XJ for $3700.00. If you want a wider axle and want to do some fab work, you could go with a JK D44, as stated above.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:58 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Thanks for the updates everyone I will look into JK 44's.