Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 12:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Amp wiring?

I ordered a power acoustic 150watt amp today for my 2 tens. They are black phantom 10s. My questions are how do I wire the remote wire on my amp to my radio. I dont have a manual for my radio so im not sure how to do it. What size wiring kit should I get for incase i decide to go with a bigger amp and sub set up down the road as well as what style box is best suited for listening to rock?
Old 02-18-2013, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slim357
I ordered a power acoustic 150watt amp today for my 2 tens. They are black phantom 10s. My questions are how do I wire the remote wire on my amp to my radio. I dont have a manual for my radio so im not sure how to do it. What size wiring kit should I get for incase i decide to go with a bigger amp and sub set up down the road as well as what style box is best suited for listening to rock?

To start, you don't want to wire power directly to the radio, it will need to go straight to the battery with some type of fuse in the middle. Then you need to wire only the control wire to the radio. If you don't have a wiring diagram then you can get yourself a volt meter, put the ground against any open surface and put the positive in the backside of the plug to make contact with metal. You will try each one until you find the wire that is send 12v only when the radio is on. Make sure you change to CD mode as you may have found the power antenna wire

Once you find the wire that is only on when the radio is on you can simply use a wire splice to tap it because it's a low voltage wire.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-18-2013, 12:38 AM

Oh yea, as far as wire size for your application. It is a 150 watt amp at 12 volt or 12.5 amps total.

The wire will depend on the distance from the battery, here is a useful table for selecting your size:

http://www.windsun.com/Hardware/Wire_Table.htm

As a basic rule for Amps, get the cleanest power you can, go big.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:13 AM

Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by ThePizza
Once you find the wire that is only on when the radio is on you can simply use a wire splice to tap it because it's a low voltage wire.

Hope this helps!
Low current wire, its all 12 volts If you have an aftermarket head unit (deck), then it should have a remote wire built in. If you have the stock head unit, the remote wire just needs to have power to it when the radio is on, as Pizza said. The easiest way to do it would be to check your fusebox and if possible just connect the remote wire to the radio fuse, but many other fuses will work, and there should be some extra empty slots you can use (the idea is that the amp is on all the time, except when the key is in the off position. Things that use the same key positions as the radio are rear wiper, defrost, HVAC, etc.) As for an amp kit, I would recommend a 4AWG kit. While you do not need this thick of a wire right not, it does leave you with room to get into a bigger amp quite comfortably. The cons of this are A) the wire is thicker, and more difficult to maneuver to where you like it and B) it is more expensive.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:38 AM

Year: 1998

uasually a blue wire on aftermarket radios is the trigger wire
Old 02-18-2013, 07:38 AM
CF Veteran

Awesome info guys and I plan on wiring power directly from the battery not the radio..... Ill have to pull my radio after work today and see if I can find that blue wire. Does any one know what would cause my left side speakers to not put out bass like my right side does when its like 34- degrees out?
Old 02-18-2013, 11:21 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L

Poor connections or stiff/ going bad voice coil in the speakers. 34 is kinda cold, but not excessively cold. Voice coil may just be stiff. Are they the same speakers on each side?
Old 02-18-2013, 12:44 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ryan8551226
Poor connections or stiff/ going bad voice coil in the speakers. 34 is kinda cold, but not excessively cold. Voice coil may just be stiff. Are they the same speakers on each side?
Ya I put them in last year both are pioneer 6.5s 50watt max power handling and the right one hits really hard and sound crappy lotta reverd to the bass when it hits
Old 02-19-2013, 12:08 AM
CF Veteran

Any ideas what I can do to fix this