Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable track bar?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 (242) HO, Bored TB, SS Header, Magnaflow & Dynomax exhaust
Default Adjustable track bar?

What’s up all? I've owned and daily driven my XJ now for over a year and just started to develop the infamous death wobble. When inspecting my front end I noticed that my front axle is off center by almost an inch. So I need to buy a adjustable track bar as well as replace a bunch of other worn out parts, stabilizer, control arm bushings, and tie rod ends.
My question is that there are a variety of manufactures out there that make track bars for the XJ I just want to know what people have used and what the prefer being that it’s going to be the most expensive part I buy for the front end at this point. I am running roughly 5" of lift. I was looking at the JKS or maybe the Rubicon Express bars but let me know what you think.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

You got the right idea. JKS and RE are both good companies... It usually ends up with the difference being a small amount of price and more over, preference...
Old 04-19-2012, 07:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

A lot of folks will chime in shortly about their favorite brand because it's super thick or even made from solid bar....

Neither of those matter as much as the quality of the joints and the type of mount used on the frame side of your rig.

Poor quality joints will fail in a short amount of time leading to death wobblw ye again. All joints will wear out over time, but you don't want to be replacing/repairing them after only a few months.

Drop brackets (frame side), if too low) will cause geometry issues that may force you use an aftermarket Drop Pitman Arm (DPA)...so there's more coin leaving your pocket.

Double shear mounts are preferred but there are plenty of folks using single shear mounts without issues. kind of depends on how hard you are on your rig.

Also:
DPA's put more stress on the PS Gear Box and unibody so plan on beefing up with reinforcement plates.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Well I had Ironman Andy custom make me my Trac Bar and all I can say is WOW!!! It is amazing. It will be the last on I ever buy period. But I do have a RE adjustable double shear Trac Bar that I removed when installing Ironman Andy's. I don't need it any more so I could sell it to you for $75 bucks. Its still in good shape. Then all you would need is the RE frame mount for it.

This is the RE Trac Bar I Have,....
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/JeepPa...TB&part=RE1660

But you would need this RE Trac Bar Bracket to use that RE Tac Bar,...
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/jeep/Z...px?part=RE1665

Last edited by aquickmopar; 04-19-2012 at 08:00 AM.