Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Blower Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 02:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 95
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default AC Blower Upgrade

Has anyone managed to upgrade the stock AC blower? My AC is not blowing that bad but compared to newer cars it is not even half as good. I have put a new AC compressor and its cooling good, my only problem is the speed of the blower as passengers at the back cannot feel the AC.
I have also replaced the AC evaporator. I dont know if the condenser has anything to do but its still stock and Im also getting overheating issues with the AC on, but I do not mind about switching the AC of from time to time so the coolant temp does not go that high.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

It made a huge difference on mine after putting new seals on all the vent tubing, a different style then OEM and adding some seals where there really should have been from the factory. Bad news is that you have to pull it 100% apart to do that. Good thing to do when you are replacing the heater core. I can dig up some pictures if you want to see.

As for your over heating, first check that the electric fan is kicking on. When was the last time the coolant was changed? System ever flushed?
Old 03-28-2019, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
It made a huge difference on mine after putting new seals on all the vent tubing, a different style then OEM and adding some seals where there really should have been from the factory. Bad news is that you have to pull it 100% apart to do that. Good thing to do when you are replacing the heater core. I can dig up some pictures if you want to see.

As for your over heating, first check that the electric fan is kicking on. When was the last time the coolant was changed? System ever flushed?
Pictures would be great.

Flushes, Electric fan is brand new and is connected directly to the battery, also water pump, water hoses, tstat housing, thermostat(195), temp sensor, fan clutch(grand cherokee), 3 core aluminum rad, are brand new. I also added a trans cooler to help, but temp still goes up to 230f only when the ac is on
Old 03-28-2019, 10:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

Originally Posted by Rikrdolevy
Pictures would be great.

Flushes, Electric fan is brand new and is connected directly to the battery, also water pump, water hoses, tstat housing, thermostat(195), temp sensor, fan clutch(grand cherokee), 3 core aluminum rad, are brand new. I also added a trans cooler to help, but temp still goes up to 230f only when the ac is on
I think this link should show you most of it.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pr...40930/index14/

You sure the new fan is pushing air and not pulling it back through? And are you running a shroud around the mechanical fan? And have you verified actual temp with a IR thermometer on the t-stat housing?

Last edited by 5-Speed; 03-28-2019 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
I think this link should show you most of it.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pr...40930/index14/

You sure the new fan is pushing air and not pulling it back through? And are you running a shroud around the mechanical fan? And have you verified actual temp with a IR thermometer on the t-stat housing?
I did, i used an ir gun and temp is the same. I have a shroud and the fan pushes to the angine bay.