Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99' intake Differences

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 99' intake Differences

What's a good deal $$ wise on a 99' intake for my 98. What differences have you guys seen that are running one?
Old 10-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/en...ing-true-lies/

Originally Posted by JP Magazine
'99-Up Horseshoe Intake
Myth: According to that great wealth of information that is never wrong, the Internet says you'll get a 5-30hp gain thanks to the '99-up 4.0L's swooped, equal length runners and larger plenum volume.

Our Thoughts: While a free-flow intake manifold can deliver more power, it's only going to allow as much air to flow as the cylinder head and camshaft will call for. Upping the intake runner volume too much will cause the intake charge to lose velocity, killing low- and mid-speed power and torque. On a '98-earlier engine running a stock camshaft and unported cylinder head, it's wasted effort.

Claimed Gains: 5-30hp

Actual Gains: 5hp loss on Trasborg's '98 XJ (Project Mileage Master)
Old 10-15-2013, 08:53 PM

That's a pretty nice write up. I figured they would have mentioned the injector upgrade in there as well. Oh well thank you
Old 10-15-2013, 10:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Unfortunately that article isn't completely accurate. It was one (in-experienced) person's opinion on the intake swap that happened to get published in an article. Those that have done the swap (like I have) notice an improvement and not a loss in power. People who don't really know like to refer to the article like it's some kind of definitive proof that it doesn't work. What's more likely is that in the case of that article something else was done that masked the improvements that the intake made.
Just be sure to bore the TB and run a more free flowing exhaust and better injectors.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherockee
Unfortunately that article isn't completely accurate. It was one (in-experienced) person's opinion on the intake swap that happened to get published in an article. Those that have done the swap (like I have) notice an improvement and not a loss in power. People who don't really know like to refer to the article like it's some kind of definitive proof that it doesn't work. What's more likely is that in the case of that article something else was done that masked the improvements that the intake made.
Just be sure to bore the TB and run a more free flowing exhaust and better injectors.
Could it be that the bored tb and exhaust and injectors helped more than the new mani?
I'd like to see dyno results of just the mani, all else the same.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997

I think it follows the logic that the manifold should be part of a system. There are probably many examples of performance parts that independently bolted on won't make as much difference as being paired with other components to produce the desired improvement. So I think it would not be wise to assume that the manifold alone will make an improvement, but need to be complimented with other performance parts.
Read Go-Jeeps article about his swap. http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoIntakeManifold1.htm
Old 10-15-2013, 11:14 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Originally Posted by Cherockee
I think it follows the logic that the manifold should be part of a system. There are probably many examples of performance parts that independently bolted on won't make as much difference as being paired with other components to produce the desired improvement. So I think it would not be wise to assume that the manifold alone will make an improvement, but need to be complimented with other performance parts.
Read Go-Jeeps article about his swap. http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoIntakeManifold1.htm
That's a nice article, I hadn't seen that before. I'll have to refer to it in the future. A few notes though:

The original note about intake volume vs. velocity still rings true. Go-Jeep even mentions throttle body spacers, which are well known to be a worthless scam. These engines are not carbureted: Greater intake volume helps a ton when fuel has to be mixed between the throttle plate and intake valve but really has no meaning to MPFI.

Also the graph's data starts at 3k RPM, up to 5.4. Redline starts at 5k. It's a damn Jeep not a race car... if I'm doing anything to improve performance it'd better present itself between 1 and 3k RPM. Not to mention the dyno run was taken after additional modifications and STILL is not an actual representation of the manifold's performance.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeep would have never changed the manifold design if it did not benefit from it
Old 10-16-2013, 12:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
Agreed. Car manufactures don't generally change something in order to decrease performance.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:29 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Of course not... just saying that how much of a benefit there really is with just a change in manifold, and not the entire system, is vague, and probably not significant outside of a butt-dyno.

Take for example the "High Output" change in engines. A lot of work done. But are you going to swap a Renix for Chrysler HO?
Old 10-16-2013, 01:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

I agree! The manifold by itself is probably not worth many gains but combined with an intake, throttle body, exhaust, and maybe even some headwork and a cam I would think there might be some gains from it.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:51 AM

I already have the spectre air intake with a TBS, and after market exhaust, and it possible has a performance header on it as well from the PO not sure. I plan to install the manifold and a set of 703 injectors, I hope to see a difference in my low end, I agree it's not a race car, I wheel pretty regular so I'm all about more low end torque and response.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Does a port + polish really do much? I guess that I would at least a polish anyway to clean the intake up, but wondering if taking any material off would increase any gains.

But now that I think about it, Chrysler/Jeep had like 20 years to figure out the intake efficiency so they might have already maximized the flow patterns with the updated manifold in '99
Old 10-16-2013, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
Does a port + polish really do much? I guess that I would at least a polish anyway to clean the intake up, but wondering if taking any material off would increase any gains. But now that I think about it, Chrysler/Jeep had like 20 years to figure out the intake efficiency so they might have already maximized the flow patterns with the updated manifold in '99
I believe like stated earlier, you would see those changes after installing a cam and a different head, you can increase all the external performance parts all you want but until you do some things to the inside to boost that air flow it doesn't really matter how much air you send to it if the parts there can't handle it, it's only going to use the max air flow needed or it can handle. Hope that makes sense.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:30 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
What we need to realize is that the benefits are almost always in the form of lower emissions for the manufacturer, not performance gains for the customer.

That manifold, along with smaller exhaust ports and other things they did over the years, was to meet increasingly tighter emission standards...........

Quick Reply: 99' intake Differences