Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

703 injector swap issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 703 injector swap issues

so i bought a set of refurbed 703 injectors for my 1996 manual xj, installation was fast and relatively smooth, did the reset with the battery cables, it started first try, it idled just fine, reved it up, its was fine took it for a spin around the block, never passing 2500 rpm or second gear, all was good, idled smoother, was alot quieter, no immediate concerns, how ever just drove to work about 30 minutes after the swap, 1 hour and half long drive, it stalls and hickups, randomly, when gassing it up to 2000 plus rpm to shift, its guttless and less responsive, less snappy etc, is thos mormal after the swap and ecu reset, and will pass after being re adapted to my driving habits and or the new injectors, ois this common, or abnormal and i missed something, did something wrong, or didnt reset properaly etc... any advice, or knowledge would be great.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:07 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

When i swapped for larger injectors I had the battery disconnected but didn't have to do any resets. I made sure nothing was clogging the screens, etc and that all electrical clips were back on tight. I see a lot of people that dont fully click their connections back in place.

After resetting an Jeep though it can take a number of starts and drives to "learn" what is new on the motor.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:30 PM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Double check your connections. Maybe start with checking the fuel pressure to make sure it is still good. When I did the swap on my 96 I also replaced the fuel filter at the same time.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:44 AM

Year: 1994

A few months back I did the 703 injector swap on my 94 xj. It seemed to run way better in all the ways you initially mentioned. this past weekend i went to go get the emissions done here in ABQ and it failed in two catagories. both ten times passed the allowable emissions standard. After buying new spark plugs and O2 sensor got a retest with the same terrible results. The next day i put my old 200,XXX mile injectors back in and passed with flying colors. So at the end of the day i do not believe that the 703 swap is compatable with the OBDI ECU system. on the emmissions tester you could see that it was trying to correct for the excess fuel but could not hold. I believe in the OBDII system the computer can develope long term fuel trims to correct the issue. I did not see any sputtering or problems you mentioned but they could be results of fouled plugs or O2 sensor causing it to run badly. I would try stock injectors and check plugs and O2.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:37 PM

hey thanks guys! turns out, i knock the tps senor just loose enougj to cause those issues, hopefuly it didnt screw anything else up, cause i drove to work an back like that, 90 miles, had no choice. but since i plugged it back in, shes running better than before the swap. but, still rich, smells of gas, im hoping thatll change after the trims are re-adapted. but idk..
Old 06-07-2018, 08:49 AM

Year: 1994

Its been a couple days Talon hows it running ?