Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.6 stroker issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 258 AMC
Default 4.6 stroker issues

I drive a 1992 jeep cherokee.. not too long ago i had the motor rebuilt and put a 4.6 stroker back in. ive been having some cooling issues. i had heard the stroker motor runs hotter than the 4.0... but i am hardly able to drive it with how hot it gets. it is weird because as long as i am moving it stays right at 210... i put a new 195 degree thermostat in.. and i replaced the radiator. the water pump is working just fine.. basically went through the entire cooling system and it definitely helped. it was running okay (not ideal temperatures but i could drive it) i Drove it from SLC to Phoenix last week and the entire 12 hour drive it did just fine! it would get a little above 210 going up hills and a little below going down.. but it ran great. exactly what you would expect from any car. well now that i am in phoenix.. i was really hoping to do some wheeling while i am here but it is just getting too hot! almost overheated on me twice today. as long as i am moving it stays fairly cool.. but the second i get stuck at a light or stopped for any reason i just watch the temp go up. ive been having to turn the heater on to keep it at driving temperature.. and if anyone has ever been to phoenix you'll know that is NOT fun in august.

anyways... has anyone else done the stroker rebuild? have you had any of these problems? or overheating at all? do you think something could be wrong with the motor (probably doesnt even have 1500 miles on it)?

any input would be great
Old 08-16-2013, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

check the fan clutch???? most common reason for overheating at slow speeds or stopped....
Old 08-16-2013, 08:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: Big 4.0L

air in the system?
Old 08-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.6L stroker

Im Also running a 4.6L stroker. Check your fan clutch for sure. Yea i would definitely suggest a 3 row radiator and flowkooler water pump if you plan on wheeling and/or sitting in traffic running ac. A POS single row radiator is not enough to keep your stroker cool. Our engines run hotter that a stock 4.0 because we have thinner cylinder walls.Also definitely pick up a large transmission cooler for automatics.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: Gas

Is it really overheating? Can you put an IR thermometer on the head and the thermostat housing and see if it's temperature is reading the same as your gauge?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:11 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.slow

I'd get rid of the clutch fan and replace it with an electric. I havent yet done it, but i hear great results from the 3.8 taurus fan upgrade. not only will you get a fan that pushes more air, but you wont have the extra drag, which can cause HP loss, and higher temps(although minimal, every little bit helps. 100 $1 bills spends the same as a $100 bill)
Old 08-16-2013, 09:22 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by ExTrEmExJ99
air in the system?
Not after driving it that long.

No air flow over the radiator at slow speeds is usually fan clutch.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:41 PM

thanks for all the responses! to answer a few of your questions... i have replaced the fan clutch twice.. once from the junkyard and once from autozone.. should i try an oem part?

When i first did the rebuild i put 3 electric fans on.. and yes it decreased the drag but it wasn't keeping it cool.. everyone i talked to said the mechanic fan would be much better so i put it back on.. but also wired an electric fan up. so now it has the mechanic and an electric.

As to the air in the system.. it is possible.. but i am not sure how to fix that? anyone know how to burp the system?

it is definitely overheating though.. even if my temp gauge is not exact.. i think it is fairly accurate. if it gets up near the red it starts to bubble out.. i only let that happen once though. now if it gets even remotely hot i turn the heater on for a minute. (which sucks in phoenix!!!)

i'm thinking i may have to have a really high quality radiator built for my jeep now that i have the stroker in it. as to the water pump... what does everyone think is the best and where would you suggest i get a heavy duty or better one??

Thanks for all the help!!
Megan
Old 08-19-2013, 03:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by megannelson58
thanks for all the responses! to answer a few of your questions... i have replaced the fan clutch twice.. once from the junkyard and once from autozone.. should i try an oem part?

When i first did the rebuild i put 3 electric fans on.. and yes it decreased the drag but it wasn't keeping it cool.. everyone i talked to said the mechanic fan would be much better so i put it back on.. but also wired an electric fan up. so now it has the mechanic and an electric.

As to the air in the system.. it is possible.. but i am not sure how to fix that? anyone know how to burp the system?

it is definitely overheating though.. even if my temp gauge is not exact.. i think it is fairly accurate. if it gets up near the red it starts to bubble out.. i only let that happen once though. now if it gets even remotely hot i turn the heater on for a minute. (which sucks in phoenix!!!)

i'm thinking i may have to have a really high quality radiator built for my jeep now that i have the stroker in it. as to the water pump... what does everyone think is the best and where would you suggest i get a heavy duty or better one??

Thanks for all the help!!
Megan
If you have a stock size radiator get a ZJ non HD fan clutch. It gives a lot more air flow. If you have an over sized radiator it might not fit.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:52 PM
CF Veteran

Hood vents also have really helped me. I have a spare set of 280zx vents I'd let go pretty cheap.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989

Hey you got pictures of the hood vents? I may be interested if the op doesn't want them.

Black89
Old 08-19-2013, 05:43 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Black89
Hey you got pictures of the hood vents? I may be interested if the op doesn't want them.

Black89

Not the actual ones, but same style. Some of the original mounting bolts are broken, but I couldn't make the original bolts work anyway. I cut them off on the other set and drilled and riveted them to the hood.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989

Originally Posted by sthon
Hood vents also have really helped me. I have a spare set of 280zx vents I'd let go pretty cheap.
Let me know what you want for em' shipped to 99026. You can PM me.

Black89
Old 08-19-2013, 07:46 PM

I already have hood vents.. (Stole them from a boat and i LOVE them ) I'm going to try the fan clutch and see what i think! thanks for the input.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by megannelson58
I already have hood vents.. (Stole them from a boat and i LOVE them ) I'm going to try the fan clutch and see what i think! thanks for the input.
Np. I'm trying to get my XJ ready to deal with the Phoenix heat as well.

Quick Reply: 4.6 stroker issues