Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 XJ TURBO

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default 2001 XJ TURBO

I am puttinga turbo on my 2001 XJ, The turbo I picked up was a .42 compressor and 63AR, I have a AEM FPR installed and Im going to keep the boost under 8lbs, but I was just wondering is that too small for our engine? I am not looking for super high HP or anything, but low end torque added, which I figured would be perfect for this size but is the inducer too small? Itll spool VERY fast, and thats what I want, I want a wide powerband, not anything peaky.

https://imgur.com/iD1yFZZ

https://imgur.com/LSQC6W5

Last edited by houstonchapman1; 11-17-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Following... Good bolt on power maybe?
Old 11-17-2017, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by SirCyber
Yeah, I am expecting pretty quick boost, but I can keep it out of boost until WOT, Im expecting it to hit 8-10lbs under 2k. that 42 compressor will spool very fast. I just dont do WOT very often, just daily driving, The turbo will fall of quick though because the compressor is so small, but I can turn the boost up to keep up with the engine if needed.

Last edited by houstonchapman1; 11-17-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Ya that turbo is going to be a bit small. 2 of them would work great! I have attempted to use a turbo of that size on a 2.4L and it was still too small for it. Its going to choke itself to death with that exhaust housing. Lots of back pressure....
Old 11-17-2017, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
Ya that turbo is going to be a bit small. 2 of them would work great! I have attempted to use a turbo of that size on a 2.4L and it was still too small for it. Its going to choke itself to death with that exhaust housing. Lots of back pressure....
The other way around, the exhaust housing is fine at 63, shouldnt have any backpressure from that, but the .42 inducer I think might have a problem keeping with the engines natural CFM. I dont know if that trim can keep up with the pressure, I chose the 63 ar so that I wouldnt have any flow issues for the exhaust. I just think the inducer is a little small, I might have to turn up the boost to actually create usable power on that smaller turbo.

I guess my real question is will that 42 trim be able to flow enough? Thanks

Last edited by houstonchapman1; 11-17-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:35 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by houstonchapman1
The other way around, the exhaust housing is fine at 63, shouldnt have any backpressure from that, but the .42 inducer I think might have a problem keeping with the engines natural CFM. I dont know if that trim can keep up with the pressure, I chose the 63 ar so that I wouldnt have any flow issues for the exhaust. I just think the inducer is a little small, I might have to turn up the boost to actually create usable power on that smaller turbo.
Not trying to be mean but I think you need to do some more research on turbos before you get too far in to this project. AR by itself means nothing. You could put a 300 AR exhaust housing (yes I know they dont make them) on that same turbo and it would still have back pressure issues. AR is just a comparison to the size of the turbine wheel. The wheel is going to be the cause of the back pressure, not the housing. Its just too small to flow the CFM needed. Think of it like a putting an 1.5" exhaust on your Jeep. Even in NA form, thats too small.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:43 PM

Not trying to be mean but I think you need to do some more research on turbos before you get too far in to this project. AR by itself means nothing. You could put a 300 AR exhaust housing (yes I know they dont make them) on that same turbo and it would still have back pressure issues. AR is just a comparison to the size of the turbine wheel. The wheel is going to be the cause of the back pressure, not the housing. Its just too small to flow the CFM needed. Think of it like a putting an 1.5" exhaust on your Jeep. Even in NA form, thats too small.
Yeah thats what I mean im sorry, I just couldnt get it wrapped around my head with the right words! yeah I meant because I dont think that smaller trim can flow what I need, should I go with a .50 or .57? Same turbine?

Last edited by houstonchapman1; 11-17-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:51 PM

Ive seen people use a 50 trim compressor and a 48 turbine, would that flow well for the lower rpms? I just want lower end power, top end is not as important.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:09 PM
CF Veteran

The term "trim" is another, yet different comparison. It compares the size of the inducer to the exducer of each turbine wheel. But at the same time, even if you go to a bigger "trim", it doesnt mean that its going to flow more overall CFM than a smaller "trim".

If it was me, I would use a GT30 size turbo. Then find one with a big exducer on the exhaust side. The bigger the exducer on the exhaust side, bigger diameter the exhaust opening will be, hence more flow out the exhaust. Then from there, you can select the AR for your intake and exhaust housings based on how you want the thing to spool. This is really where reading compressor maps comes in to play. On top of that, we havent even touched on boost and how it affects flow.

Turbos are not something thats a one size fits all. Sure it will work but matching the correct turbo to your application and needs is what its all about. Spend some time reading up.

https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbo...ett/wheel_trim

Last edited by 5-Speed; 11-17-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:29 PM

The term "trim" is another, yet different comparison. It compares the size of the inducer to the exducer of each turbine wheel. But at the same time, even if you go to a bigger "trim", it doesnt mean that its going to flow more overall CFM than a smaller "trim".

If it was me, I would use a GT30 size turbo. Then find one with a big exducer on the exhaust side. The bigger the exducer on the exhaust side, bigger diameter the exhaust opening will be, hence more flow out the exhaust. Then from there, you can select the AR for your intake and exhaust housings based on how you want the thing to spool. This is really where reading compressor maps comes in to play. On top of that, we havent even touched on boost and how it affects flow.

Turbos are not something thats a one size fits all. Sure it will work but matching the correct turbo to your application and needs is what its all about. Spend some time reading up.

Ill look into it some more. Thanks!
Old 11-17-2017, 02:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 149 Likes on 126 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Turbo 4.0

Ebay turbo? Did the seller provide a compressor flow map? I'd rather have the size of the compressor inducer, as it will give you more info than the trim. This guy does a nice job of explaining how to learn compressor maps.

Also what are you using for part throttle boost and timing retard?

Last edited by Cummins93; 11-17-2017 at 03:16 PM. Reason: More questions
Old 11-17-2017, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cummins93
Ebay turbo? Did the seller provide a compressor flow map? I'd rather have the size of the compressor inducer, as it will give you more info than the trim. This guy does a nice job of explaining how to learn compressor maps.

https://youtu.be/0Lv4yjiuJSU

Its a 42mm inducer. No pressure map :{

I wish it had better specs on it because that would help a lot.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

Can you repost your #1 original post. The Youtube is right over the top of your first post.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:13 PM

2001 XJ TURBO

2001 XJ TURBO

houstonchapman1 , Yesterday 11:21 AM
I am puttinga turbo on my 2001 XJ, The turbo I picked up was a .42 compressor and 63AR, I have a AEM FPR installed and Im going to keep the boost under 8lbs, but I was just wondering is that too small for our engine? I am not looking for super high HP or anything, but low end torque added, which I figured would be perfect for this size but is the inducer too small? Itll spool VERY fast, and thats what I want, I want a wide powerband, not anything peaky.

https://imgur.com/iD1yFZZ

https://imgur.com/LSQC6W5

SirCyber , Yesterday 12:20 PM

houstonchapman1 , Yesterday 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCyber
Yeah, I am expecting pretty quick boost, but I can keep it out of boost until WOT, Im expecting it to hit 8-10lbs under 2k. that 42 compressor will spool very fast. I just dont do WOT very often, just daily driving, The turbo will fall of quick though because the compressor is so small, but I can turn the boost up to keep up with the engine if needed.

5-Speed , Yesterday 01:16 PM
NSCLC Information
Learn More About a Treatment Option
for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer.
www.treatment-for-nsclc.com

houstonchapman1 , Yesterday 01:22 PM
Quote:

I guess my real question is will that 42 trim be able to flow enough? Thanks
Lung Cancer Information
Find Information About a Treatment
Option for Lung Cancer.
www.treatment-for-nsclc.com

5-Speed , Yesterday 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonchapman1

houstonchapman1 , Yesterday 01:43 PM
Quote:
Yeah thats what I mean im sorry, I just couldnt get it wrapped around my head with the right words! yeah I meant because I dont think that smaller trim can flow what I need, should I go with a .50 or .57? Same turbine?

houstonchapman1 , Yesterday 01:51 PM
Ive seen people use a 50 trim compressor and a 48 turbine, would that flow well for the lower rpms? I just want lower end power, top end is not as important.

5-Speed , Yesterday 02:09 PM

houstonchapman1 , Yesterday 02:29 PM
Quote:

Ill look into it some more. Thanks!

Cummins93 , Yesterday 03:55 PM

Also what are you using for part throttle boost and timing retard?

houstonchapman1 , Yesterday 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins93

Its a 42mm inducer. No pressure map :{

I wish it had better specs on it because that would help a lot.

CobraMarty , Today 12:54 PM
Can you repost your #1 original post. The Youtube is right over the top of your first post.
1/1
Old 11-18-2017, 05:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

Thanks.