Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 inch lift questions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 2 inch lift questions?

Hello everyone in new to the forum and i am looking for some advice my 99 xjs suspension that is worn out/sagging and starting to seem unsafe. and i would like to replace it with a 2 lift. The problem is most of what i can find is add a leaf kits with the puck style spacers and that is not really what i think i am after i want to do a full suspension lift with new leaf packs/coils . I am working with a budget of around 400$. The reason i am wanting to add 2 inches and not 3 is because the jeep is my daily and sees a lot of highway use and i would like to keep the tires i currently have that are fairly new .i just want to add a little clearance and articulation for the forest service roads while maintaining stock like handling. i may be asking to much from a 400$ budget so any recommendations are welcome but i am pretty set on not going higher than 2 inches.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

If your suspension is worn out you will get close to 2" of lift just replacing the springs with stock ones.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by 00t444e
If your suspension is worn out you will get close to 2" of lift just replacing the springs with stock ones.
yea i assumed it would im wanting to go a little higher than stock though.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by 99troutwagon
Hello everyone in new to the forum and i am looking for some advice my 99 xjs suspension that is worn out/sagging and starting to seem unsafe. and i would like to replace it with a 2 lift. The problem is most of what i can find is add a leaf kits with the puck style spacers and that is not really what i think i am after i want to do a full suspension lift with new leaf packs/coils . I am working with a budget of around 400$. The reason i am wanting to add 2 inches and not 3 is because the jeep is my daily and sees a lot of highway use and i would like to keep the tires i currently have that are fairly new .i just want to add a little clearance and articulation for the forest service roads while maintaining stock like handling. i may be asking to much from a 400$ budget so any recommendations are welcome but i am pretty set on not going higher than 2 inches.
Here is the best I know of:

Rusty's 2 inch coils - $119
Crown HD Leaf Springs (nets ~1.5" over stock) ($91.16) x2 - $182.32 Crown HD Leaf Springs (nets ~1.5" over stock) ($91.16) x2 - $182.32

Rusty's .75" Extended Shackles - $69

That adds up to $370.32 before shipping and nets you 2 inches of lift in the front and roughly 2.25" in the rear. But you still need bushings for those leaf springs:

Prothane Poly Bushing Kit - $49.17 Prothane Poly Bushing Kit - $49.17

Now you are at $419.49. Bump up your budget to $450 and this is what you need. This does not include shocks. Look for some JK/JL Rubicon take-off shocks on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace and you'll have a pretty decent lift kit.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by 4BangerDanger
Here is the best I know of:

Rusty's 2 inch coils - $119
Crown HD Leaf Springs (nets ~1.5" over stock) ($91.16) x2 - $182.32

Rusty's .75" Extended Shackles - $69

That adds up to $370.32 before shipping and nets you 2 inches of lift in the front and roughly 2.25" in the rear. But you still need bushings for those leaf springs:

Prothane Poly Bushing Kit - $49.17

Now you are at $419.49. Bump up your budget to $450 and this is what you need. This does not include shocks. Look for some JK/JL Rubicon take-off shocks on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace and you'll have a pretty decent lift kit.
Do the jk shocks bolt right in?
Old 03-20-2019, 05:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Do the jk shocks bolt right in?
You have to press out the JK bar pins and use the ones from your old shocks for the fronts, but if you have access to a vise it's not too bad. There are a bunch of write-ups on using JK shocks on XJs.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:24 PM

You have to press out the JK bar pins and use the ones from your old shocks for the fronts, but if you have access to a vise it's not too bad. There are a bunch of write-ups on using JK shocks on XJs.
I really digging this idea its pretty much what i was looking for. Have you personally ran this setup?
Old 03-20-2019, 06:58 PM
Seasoned Member

I really digging this idea its pretty much what i was looking for. Have you personally ran this setup?
My setup is not exactly the same. I am at 3.5 inches of lift with different coils. I also added a leaf to that leaf pack I linked and I have different (longer) extended shackles. I do have JK Rubicon shocks with BPEs.

I am happy with the leaf springs and shocks. I have used the Rustys 2 inch coil springs along with JK shocks on a friend's TJ and it rode great.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:16 PM

My setup is not exactly the same. I am at 3.5 inches of lift with different coils. I also added a leaf to that leaf pack I linked and I have different (longer) extended shackles. I do have JK Rubicon shocks with BPEs.

I am happy with the leaf springs and shocks. I have used the Rustys 2 inch coil springs along with JK shocks on a friend's TJ and it rode great.
Tremendous, What would likely be affected by installing this lift? control arms,steering , brake lines, Geometry?
Old 03-20-2019, 07:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Tremendous, What would likely be affected by installing this lift? control arms,steering , brake lines, Geometry?
Going by this chart...

Name:  NKOC lift chart.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  167.4 KB

...At 2 inches of lift you should be okay except for maybe the rear brake line.

You may want to look into drilling a different hole for your track bar. There are plenty of write-ups on that. That may or may not be necessary... Every one of these Jeeps is a little different so you won't know until your lift is installed.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998

Not sure if it’s exactly what you’re looking for. But check out the “Upcountry” lift.

search this site, and you’ll get the specs. It nets around 1.5 inches over stock.

basically heavy duty leafs, zj coils, and a few other things . Check it outs that’s what I’m going with.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:14 PM

Going by this chart...

Attachment 404236

...At 2 inches of lift you should be okay except for maybe the rear brake line.

You may want to look into drilling a different hole for your track bar. There are plenty of write-ups on that. That may or may not be necessary... Every one of these Jeeps is a little different so you won't know until your lift is installed.
nice i would assume i could just grab some TJ brake lines to swap in if necessary ? also with this setup what tire size could i move up to when its time for new ones?
Old 03-20-2019, 09:56 PM

one more question would regular jk shocks work?
Old 03-20-2019, 11:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

one more question would regular jk shocks work?
Yes they will.

I honestly think the Rubicon rear shock is too long for a 2" lift. It will work yes but it's not the ideal length.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:31 AM

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts
Year: 1992

Originally Posted by TylerA23
Not sure if it’s exactly what you’re looking for. But check out the “Upcountry” lift.

search this site, and you’ll get the specs. It nets around 1.5 inches over stock.

basically heavy duty leafs, zj coils, and a few other things . Check it outs that’s what I’m going with.
This.

The upcountry will get you between 1-1.5 inches, maybe even 2 if you are really sagged. When I posed a similar question this is what was posted to me.

A few quick searches - These are current with shipping included.

Moog CC782 Coil Spring Set - Used / $41.10 - Amazon
Crown Automotive 4886186AA Leaf Spring - New / $75.46 - Ebay
Crown Automotive 4886186AA Leaf Spring - New / $75.46 - Ebay
3/4" (.75) Front Coil Spacers - New / $30.00 - Ebay
Monroe Sensa-Trac 37027 37083 Shock Absorber Kit Set - New / Ebay - $154.82
Energy Suspension 2.2109G - New / Amazon - $54.99

Total: $431.83

You can probably get away with not using the coil spacers because the rear leafs will eventually settle a little based on the weight you carry in the rear. That would come in at just about $400.00
Check out the thread "small lift questions".

Quick Reply: 2 inch lift questions?