Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10" sub corner pocket

Old 02-05-2011, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: four litre
Default 10" sub corner pocket

The corner pocket design for a 10" sub is among the worst designs in car audio. First off a ten " sub requires at least 1 cu.ft of box volume and 2 cu. ft. for best sound. It's in the instructions of all subs. The corner pocket design is about 1/4 cu.ft. of volume which is perfect for a 5 1/4" sub and pushing it on a 6 1/2" sub. Also it's best to have a hard surface to reflect the sub off. Why do I know this because I made that sub in 1990 for my 89 XJ and it didn't sound as good as a 6 1/2" bazooka tube that I put in my Dad's lincoln. I too was trying to save space put very unhappy with the volume level and definition of bass that I designed a much better design that slams with the same size and power amp and sub by directing the sound at the side panel( will post pics soon.Also been in the car audio biz and had my own car audio biz's for last 30 years, plus done work for and worked with all the names you can think of in car audio with my work at the SEMA and CES shows.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: HO4.0 I6

Originally Posted by hookedonxjs
The corner pocket design for a 10" sub is among the worst designs in car audio. First off a ten " sub requires at least 1 cu.ft of box volume and 2 cu. ft. for best sound. It's in the instructions of all subs. The corner pocket design is about 1/4 cu.ft. of volume which is perfect for a 5 1/4" sub and pushing it on a 6 1/2" sub. Also it's best to have a hard surface to reflect the sub off. Why do I know this because I made that sub in 1990 for my 89 XJ and it didn't sound as good as a 6 1/2" bazooka tube that I put in my Dad's lincoln. I too was trying to save space put very unhappy with the volume level and definition of bass that I designed a much better design that slams with the same size and power amp and sub by directing the sound at the side panel( will post pics soon.Also been in the car audio biz and had my own car audio biz's for last 30 years, plus done work for and worked with all the names you can think of in car audio with my work at the SEMA and CES shows.
It will be nice when you can upload some pictures. Once I get some spare dough I am going to be dropping some mad cash on my XJ
Old 02-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Seasoned Member

If you're talking about the boxes that Kfxhellraiser builds you will find that everyone here that has one will highly disagree. I have one with a 10" kicker comp and it sounds amazing. That 10 sounds better than the 12" rockford fosgate I had in a bigger box.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:59 AM

Engine: four litre
Default It pays to read the instructions

If the 10" kicker which I am very familar with because I sold hundreds of them sounds better than a twelve just imagine what it would sound like if it had a 8" or 6.5" sub in it. An 8" sub needs about a half cube of air space and a 6.5" needs about a quarter cube (box in question is 1/4 cube). If I could do an scenerio you could relate to say you have stock gears (3.55) and rims (7") and you put 33x12.50 tires on your rig, sure it could be done if you find some border brother"s tire shop to install them but it not going to be as good as 30x9.50"'s on 7's with the stock set up. An 8" sub would be like 31x10.50's with the stock set up. So if you can't run big tires with stock set up with out doing some extensive mods why would you be able to do a 10" sub in a 6.5" sub box? To calculate interior air space on a box like the corner box (that's not a complete square) fill the inside of the box with sand, rice, shipping peanuts and then pour it from the sub box into a sq.ft. cardboard box and you will see that the box design is 1 quarter cube of airspce. I didn't write the instructions or invent the number's a highly educated electronic engineer did and he didn't come up with the numbers by pulling them from a hat. Just like 33"s look cooler a ten dose look more impressive too I will give you that much but I don't walk around with a sock rolled up in my jock strap. So believe me when I say that a 8 is going to sound better than a 10 and the 6.5 would even sound better than the eight.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Seasoned Member

The cubic foot specs aren't requirements. Just a recommendation by the manufacturer. I doubt a 6.5 or even an 8" sub would sound as good as a 10. Im sure a 10 would sound even better if you had a larger box but everyone here loves the box because it sounds good AND saves alot of storage space in the back of their jeep.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 High Outout I6

most of us xj guys (not all im just saying most) arent bumpin the 50 cent or listening to music about our b****** and hoes (not garden tools either ) so we dont need that ten to sound like a concert in the back of our jeep. we just want it to sound better than the 6" paper speakers in our door.
but on that note I have a 10" RF Punch that has been in a ported truck box as long as I have had it and I think it sounds better run off a 600w amp than the two kicker 12s I had on 1000w amp its all personal preference and we could all get our panties in a bunch over it im sure.
I love my setup i plan to move it into my xj as soon as it stops leaking water lol if you have something that you think is better (and trust me it sounds like you know what your talking about more than I do) then more power to ya
Old 02-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Registered Users

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994

Someone call Al Gore!! There is an argument on his internet!!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I built a setup for the corner pocket that houses an 8". It sounds fine to me cuz I don't care to shake my brain all that much. I had to find a good medium for me cuz I do use the storage space alot. I agree that you can't get enough space out of the pocket but it isn't a big deal to me.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:24 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

So what you're saying is that every type of music will sound better to every listener if they design their XJ box according to your "experience"? If you knew anything about audio you would realize that sound appreciation is highly subjective. You can't sit there in front of your computer & tell any of us what will sound better to our ears.

Some people like a lot of bass, some prefer top end. I listen to so many different types of music that I couldn't possibly rely on a simple Bass-mid-tweeter-amp setup. The real beauty of my XJs audio system is the Alpine equalizer that I manually tweak for each genre. I enjoy doing that. And people are amazed when they sit in the XJ and experience the sound that you can barely hear from outside. Your one-size-fits-all tirade is falling on "deaf" ears. Yes, I have the cubby box, originally built as a total n00b and tweaked incessantly over the years.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L

I agree, 1/4 cu ft is way too little airspace, that's why the way to go is a custom made box (like the ones sold by a guy on here) that have a lot more airspace inside

And true, putting a sub in the rear corner pocket may not be as ideal for sound as puttin a sub in the cargo area facing the rear, but the entire point of a corner pocket sub is to save space. I bought a Jeep to have a vehicle with more cargo room inside, so putting a big rear facing box in the back would be completely against the whole point...

Last edited by WantACherokee; 02-08-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Seasoned Member

If you look at the manufacturers specs they always recommend certain size boxes depending on sealed or ported and I don't know of any 10's that recommend 2 cubic feet of airspace.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 I6

Not true, cubes depends on power, excursion, and baffling. Small cubic feet means tighter bass response, no matter what driver.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:15 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Well, so much for that troll
Old 02-08-2011, 06:44 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

If want some small subs that you can hear go with a sound solutions audio 8 they arent cheap but for the space they take up and if you like livin loud put them in
Old 02-09-2011, 09:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by cherokeeduner
If want some small subs that you can hear go with a sound solutions audio 8 they arent cheap but for the space they take up and if you like livin loud put them in

SSA is really good quality, could also look into Digital Designs, Ascendant Audio, AudioQ or PSI.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 10" sub corner pocket