Default XJ Power windows rant

Hello I just wondering if anyone that has power locks in thier xj
and hates them. I hate mine I had my door panles off today because
I was pulling my lock cylinders to take them to the lock smith and
have a key made since I never had one and I would like to be able
to lock it if I want. Then when trying to get the door panle back on
the drivers door I broke the clips that held the window switches in
pace (the ones that were left) so I used zipties to hold the switches
in place.I just want to put manual windows in the doors.

Thanks for reading

Shane
Old 03-09-2011, 11:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

When I got my cherokee, the passenger windows didnt go down. I fixed them but then the power lock switch on the passenger side went crazy and blowes a fuse when you try to use it. I can make my front pasenger window work with the switch on its side but the main panel on the drivers door wont make it work. It confuses me because the door lock switch worked before I got the windows to work. some wires must be crossed or shorting out.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993

my drivers door switches are the only ones that work so
everyone has to ask me to roll thier window up or down
Old 03-10-2011, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989

I have a limited with power everything, its good and bad. I've never had power windows so I love them, but they take foreeeever to work in the cold, and even when its warm out, they take ages to roll back up. I gotta overhaul them sometime, its ridiculous. I can't even push the switch all the way up, i can only do it like 3/4 of the way to make it work right haha. The power locks are even worse tho, none of em work , they're sticking or something. Doesn't even matter now tho, someone tried to break in and ****ed up my driver door lock, so I can't even open my driver's door. I have to get in through the passenger door every time I go to work or drive anywhere. ****s ridiculous... Can't afford to get it fixed yet tho, I hardly get any hours at work. anyone know where I can go to have em open it and fix it? The stealership or the auto body shop were what I was thinking.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:46 AM
CF Veteran

Is it your lock cylinder thats all f'ed up if so you can get a set of door lock cylinders for autozone for around $20 and they are not that hard to remove and install. I think the hardest part was hetting the door panle back on
Old 03-10-2011, 03:15 AM

Year: 1989

Originally Posted by SHANE 87
Is it your lock cylinder thats all f'ed up if so you can get a set of door lock cylinders for autozone for around $20 and they are not that hard to remove and install. I think the hardest part was hetting the door panle back on
Don't think so, never had a key. When I bought it I only had the ignition key, if I wanted to lock the doors at night I had to open it from the inside through the rear hatch haha. they tried slim jimming it I think and bent one of the rods in the inside of the door or something. pulling on the handle from the inside only makes a clicking/popping sound and you can feel it trying to grab but it does nothing I've tried pushing and pulling on all the joints in that square box where they all join up to, nothing lets me open it. Tried pulling up and down on the rod that goes to the door handle, wouldnt open and it cracked the crappy plastic peice holding the button to it with the spring, and that fell in the door lol. I'm at my whit's end with it almost and I'm probly just going to bring it to a shop to deal with once I save up enough cash from my crappy job any advice or old timer fixes are very much welcomed though, haha!
Old 03-10-2011, 02:16 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by AsianKFC
Don't think so, never had a key. When I bought it I only had the ignition key, if I wanted to lock the doors at night I had to open it from the inside through the rear hatch haha. they tried slim jimming it I think and bent one of the rods in the inside of the door or something. pulling on the handle from the inside only makes a clicking/popping sound and you can feel it trying to grab but it does nothing I've tried pushing and pulling on all the joints in that square box where they all join up to, nothing lets me open it. Tried pulling up and down on the rod that goes to the door handle, wouldnt open and it cracked the crappy plastic peice holding the button to it with the spring, and that fell in the door lol. I'm at my whit's end with it almost and I'm probly just going to bring it to a shop to deal with once I save up enough cash from my crappy job any advice or old timer fixes are very much welcomed though, haha!

Well sorryb to here that and good luck getting it fixed
Old 03-10-2011, 02:50 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by SHANE 87
my drivers door switches are the only ones that work so
everyone has to ask me to roll thier window up or down
I had that same problem in my 98. Then one day i got upset with it and started button mashing the window lock button. Magically it worked
Old 03-10-2011, 03:17 PM
CF Veteran

Cool I will try that