Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Will it pass inspection?

Old 03-26-2019, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Will it pass inspection?

Just bought a 1998 Jeep xj with 134k miles

and some nice aftermarket parts. Needs some stuff like sway bar, manifold, exhaust, u joints, etc nothing too expensive or junk yard worthy. BUT there is a pretty significant bend/dent/twist in the frame that I’m worried about. Also it looks like the Jeep was previously stiffened with the little fins welded on in that area? I still don’t know if it will pass inspection. Is it passable and ok for inspection and please don’t hold back and tell it straight lol. Thanks will be almost everyday driver and wheeling rig.

Last edited by Tandyman; 03-26-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:13 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

What state are you trying to get it inspected in?
Old 03-26-2019, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Garrett S.
What state are you trying to get it inspected in?
Pennsylvania
Old 03-26-2019, 07:15 PM

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

I don't see any holes there, that'd be your biggest issue. If there's no holes and it's still solid, it should pass just fine. Though it doesn't look like it will much longer the way it is.

The only thing that gets specifically stated for inspection is that the frame is solid. Mechanics get some discretion as to what they think is and isn't solid.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:21 PM

I don't know about Pennsylvania. But from what I hear, It all depends on how the shop feels that day. You might just try it and see what they say.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:05 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Year: 1999

Not sure about Pennsylvania but when I lived in New Hampshire many years ago they used the "screwdriver test" on structural parts - if they could poke through with a screwdriver it would fail, if not then it would pass.

To slow further deterioration you can spray the underside with an oil coating or something like Fluid Film. (I spray the latter under my Jeep each fall.)
Old 03-26-2019, 11:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by Rambler65
Not sure about Pennsylvania but when I lived in New Hampshire many years ago they used the "screwdriver test" on structural parts - if they could poke through with a screwdriver it would fail, if not then it would pass.
Yep, they do the same here in PA.

Here's a link to the PA inspection manual if you need to reference anything (It can be very helpful if a shop says you need a BS repair, more than once I've pulled out the manual and called shops on their crap), refer to Subchapter E (pages 28-42) for cars and light trucks: http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dv...ons/PUB-45.pdf .

Also note any repairs to structural components must be at least as strong as the original (so make sure any patches are steel plate at least as thick as the original frame component being patched).
Old 03-27-2019, 09:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 250 Likes on 168 Posts
Year: 1999

That thing looks like it's been rear ended.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Skyline
I don't see any holes there, that'd be your biggest issue. If there's no holes and it's still solid, it should pass just fine. Though it doesn't look like it will much longer the way it is.

The only thing that gets specifically stated for inspection is that the frame is solid. Mechanics get some discretion as to what they think is and isn't solid.
It seems like its sturdy with the stiffeners, but I noticed when I turn slowly and start accelerating around the turn there is a banging noise and a shaking jolt. Idk if it’s from this or because it has a rear lunchbox locker and it only does it once in a while.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Those look like airbag brackets. Definitely looks like frame was crunched and straightened at some point in the past. Probably not the cause of your bang/shaking jolt. That is more likely to be the locker, or perhaps a leaf spring eye that is fractured (the fracture can hide up in the leaf spring mounting bracket).
Old 03-27-2019, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
Those look like airbag brackets. Definitely looks like frame was crunched and straightened at some point in the past. Probably not the cause of your bang/shaking jolt. That is more likely to be the locker, or perhaps a leaf spring eye that is fractured (the fracture can hide up in the leaf spring mounting bracket).
There is no floor crack and the bend starts right where the gas tank sits on the end. So I’m starting to think it might not be that bad and decently sturdy because it seems from the rear it’s about 10 inches in from the end of the frame and straightened. But I have seen them coming apart on the trail at certain flex positions. Also if it ever got rear ended again it would be unfixable.

Last edited by Tandyman; 03-27-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6

Mechanic may not notice it, who knows. You could take it to a fab shop and have a guy just weld a short stiffener over it. Then you probably wouldn’t have to worry about it passing. At least not for that.