Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.7L
Default Why don't people wave anymore

So i don't know if it just the jeep owners here in albuquerque, but i have noticed this new trend of people driving lifted jeeps, and unfortunately i have also noticed a trend of hardly any of them waiving when you do the jeep wave. I don't know maybe its just me i grew up around jeeps and in washington where i am originally from if you drive a jeep lifted or not(but mostly lifted) you wave at each other..i just dont get it i drove by a guy today that i know for a fact saw me wave and he just kept driving. And i know of a guy driving another lifted cherokee who flipped my buddy in his lifted cherokee off the other day..this is just not right i mean we all say "its a jeep thing" for a reason right. GRRR..sorry for the long post about this i just think today was the icing on the cake for me today when it came to this issue and wanted to see if its the same all around the country or just ABQ.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

normally I found if the person is in a lifted Jeep and they dont do the jeep wave.. then that person obviously doesnt wheel there rig and uses it just as a grocerygutter
Old 11-03-2010, 07:30 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

I feel your anger my girlfriend asks me, everytime I wave at another jeep, why I do it because I never get a wave back....
Old 11-03-2010, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by jeepxj19
normally I found if the person is in a lifted Jeep and they dont do the jeep wave.. then that person obviously doesnt wheel there rig and uses it just as a grocerygutter
That would be my guess. We've had ours for several yrs and I never look at another Jeep really. To me its just a DD, not a passion like my Mach 1 mustang. When I'm in the stang, I do the wave thing.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:04 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

I definitely see your point. I've had my Jeep for 8 months now and have probably gotten 5 waves back tops - and I wave at EVERY Jeep I see; Cherokees, Wranglers of all types, Grand Cherokees, even the Liberties, Commanders and Patriots! And I probably wave atleast 10 times a day. The wave seems to be dying - and it's been dead in Central PA.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Too busy holding the phone to wave.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by Mihogan
The wave seems to be dying - and it's been dead in Central PA.
Depends on the size of your town. Here in Landlocked-smalltown-USA we wave a lot because we always see people we know.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L

I disagree, Here in Oregon its probably 75% of nice jeeps I pass will wave back. there have even been a good number of jeep rallys on I5! and CB talk and what have you!
Old 11-03-2010, 08:12 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 96'
Engine: 4.0 160k banks header dumping after the cat

i don't really blame the wranglers for not waving back but lifted cherokee's better wave! there are a few by me (especially this one with a "rubicon" sticker on the fender) that i have waved to a few times and i [U]know[U] they saw me, just kept driving. its definitely a problem and instantly gives me a bad impression of whoever is driving the jeep
Old 11-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Simple - Jeeps are far more common of a vehicle now. People drive them without any real knowledge of their legendary history.

Back in the 70s/early 80s it was like a secret handshake... there were far less of them on the road.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

wave at every XJ I see and hardly ever get one back. I'm hoping people will start to realize what it's all about eventually. Either, I'll keep waving and if they want to keep being jerks that's on them. Owning a XJ is being part of a family that has to stick together.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Seasoned Member

heres the thing...we all know if they have the "its a jeep thing you wouldn't understand" sticker on there jeep they will most likely wave back. Its just so frustrating cause i have grown up around jeeps. My dad had a cj7 mud bogger when i was real young stepped away for a year or two then bought a wrangler, i helped him put his shackle lift on the wrangler at like 10 years old, now it is sittin at about 4 1/2 inches of lift and 33's. I don't get it its not like we are a dying breed or anything..i just have to agree that people are buying them for grocery getters and lifting them cause it looks cool and don't understand the heritage...GEEES i hope people get the point at some time or another..maybe when i get back from England it will all be back to normal..lol
Old 11-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Troth
I disagree, Here in Oregon its probably 75% of nice jeeps I pass will wave back. there have even been a good number of jeep rallys on I5! and CB talk and what have you!
Thats exactly my point in washington every jeep driver waves at one another, i still remember driving I5 with my dad with a rally of jeeps behind us cause we always seemed to lead the pack, it was awesome always a adrenaline rush. I don't know about you guys in Oregon but our hot channel was 3 always lots of jeepers and just all around fellow offroaders on that channel.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:30 PM

Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

Oh man, I'm happy to see this thread, I ALWAYS either wave or do the "head nod" to other XJ owners and old wagoneer owners, most the time I get a response... I'm in Southern California, if that makes a difference.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989 2 door

Ya its an epidemic here in slc, UT too! Little tiny boppers drivin JK's & XJ's all over... I seen one girl about 18-19 yrs old drivin a BA XJ on 33"s, RE long arms, winch the whole 9 yards, & I bet it hadent been wheelin since the PO took it! As always phone to her ear NO WAVE!

I only get the wave from CJ owners, & seldom lifted XJ owners

Quick Reply: Why don't people wave anymore