Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

wheelin tips and tricks

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default wheelin tips and tricks

Hi, looking for some tips on "how to" off road.... I read about placing foot in between gas pedal and tunnel and "roll" foot for better control. I read some on approach and descent, but was looking for any additional opinions/explanations. Just want to delay the inevitable of breaking my stuff. I'm running a 99' with 3.5 lift and 32's. I hope this will help some of newbie's that are new to the game. Thanks in advance
Old 04-15-2015, 11:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Airing down makes a night/day difference for traction and less likely to blow out on sharp objects. If you find yourself having to go backwards on a hill one tip I got was to put your jeep into 4lo 1st, press down on the brake, and let enough brake slip to ease down and if you find yourself slipping than you can give it some gas and let the motor take control. Never wheel alone, always tell others prior to leaving where you will be just in case, CB radios are great. Make sure you have front and rear recovery points and a strap is good to have. A spare and fire extinguisher is always recommended as well.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah wheeling alone can kill you if you get stuck middle of no where for days.See if you have any local off road clubs and see if you can ride with them a time or two.Even if the club isnt a jeep one most are nice guys that love off road and will let anyone roll with them.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Facebook seems to be a new thing for small local groups.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:15 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Don't be a hero.

What I mean is, if you come across an obstacle you have an "off feeling" about, don't do it. Let someone with more confidence tackle it first. Have a good spotter. Better to be at the campfire at the end of the day, than be upside down, with a busted rig.

I'm not saying don't try new things, just know your limits, and be safe about it. Once you get some experience, you can be a better judge of what not only you, but your rig, can do.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:47 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by schmoo
Hi, looking for some tips on "how to" off road.... I read about placing foot in between gas pedal and tunnel and "roll" foot for better control. I read some on approach and descent, but was looking for any additional opinions/explanations. Just want to delay the inevitable of breaking my stuff. I'm running a 99' with 3.5 lift and 32's. I hope this will help some of newbie's that are new to the game. Thanks in advance

Go S-L-O-W

(unless trying to blast through a mud hole - which is highly over-rated IMO)

I got my first 4x4 pickup at 19 and went out all over the Colorado mountains alone. I got stuck a few times and finally learned about things like come-alongs and hi-lift jacks.

Back then (40+ yrs ago) there weren't that many people out and about, but I guess these days the remaining jeep trails are practically a traffic jam during the short summer season.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:00 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by 1976gmc20
Go S-L-O-W

(unless trying to blast through a mud hole - which is highly over-rated IMO)

I got my first 4x4 pickup at 19 and went out all over the Colorado mountains alone. I got stuck a few times and finally learned about things like come-alongs and hi-lift jacks.

Back then (40+ yrs ago) there weren't that many people out and about, but I guess these days the remaining jeep trails are practically a traffic jam during the short summer season.
This brings up a good point-go prepared. Make sure you have recovery options.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:17 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Never leave home without a........Hi-Lift Jack & Extras, Recovery Points, Straps, Fire Extinguisher, First Aid Kit (and know how to use it), Basic Tools. Also radios CB or Amateur if you can get a license a good thing to have and in some places a Cell Phone will work.

I wheel with my wife but we are alone 95% of the time and she knows her way around 4x4's and working on them if needed and working the winch when required. We have always carried a weeks worth of food with us in the Jeep MRE's if stranded and can always hunt something in this area. Guns and ammo are always carried in both of my Jeeps.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:49 PM

Thanks all much appreciated... Keep it coming
Old 04-17-2015, 04:28 AM
CF Veteran

Always let someone know where you are going and when you will be back.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

the most important things are pretty much covered already, but i will stress, don't put it in neutral to go either forward or backwards down a hill. always use 4lo and low gear to use the engine brake and foot brake.

don't use too much throttle on an obstacle or up hill. use only what is needed.

try to always use and listen to a spotter on the tougher obstacles.

be prepared. use your own recovery straps when needing a tug. make sure to have proper front and rear recovery points. don't use chains or straps with hooks.

take lots of food and water and never go alone. take a phone charger along.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:05 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by caged
the most important things are pretty much covered already, but i will stress, don't put it in neutral to go either forward or backwards down a hill. always use 4lo and low gear to use the engine brake and foot brake.

don't use too much throttle on an obstacle or up hill. use only what is needed.

be prepared. use your own recovery straps when needing a tug. make sure to have proper front and rear recovery points. don't use chains or straps with hooks.

take lots of food and water and never go alone. take a phone charger along.

Yes people sometimes get PO when they have to use their straps to pull you out of a mud hole, or whatever, then have to clean them all up and re-roll and store, "USE YOUR STRAPS & D-RINGS"!
Old 04-17-2015, 04:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When in doubt throttle out.

Ok so maybe not. Be gentle on the skinny pedal. Slow is usually better than fast.

Last edited by jmm0122_; 04-17-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jmm0122_
When in doubt throttle out.

Ok so maybe not. Be genial on the skinny pedal. Slow is usually better than fast.

And Very Slow is better than slow

Many years ago, my wife's cousin and his wife came up to our logging camp in their brand new Suzuki Samurai. We all of course had to go out "jeeping" with them and show them all the old mining roads in the area. He drove like a maniac even on the roughest roads, and I thought he was going to kill us all a couple times

Never could figure why folks come up to the mountains and drive like they just robbed a bank
Old 04-18-2015, 08:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: '95
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by caged
Most of the important stuff has been covered, but I am going to stress this. Pick someone who is reliable, and actually LISTEN to them.

About half of the time I spot someone, they don't listen. They usually end up doing the exact opposite of what I'm saying and get stuck.

Quick Reply: wheelin tips and tricks