What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default What would you do?

Well.. i threw a rod in my jeep about a month ago and i found this guy that does jeep engine work online. so i took it to him he told me he was going to get a new block new pistons new rods seals rings.i gave him 900 bucks and the jeep. i brought it to him on a saturday and he told me he was going to be done on friday now its 3 fridays later, he calls me about every 2 days telling me he needs 2 more days. yesterday he told me it would be completely done on friday so im not sure what im going to do if he isnt done yet.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

three weeks and still not done? it shouldnt take that long UNLESS he had to have machine work done on the block, but if so he should explain himself. id want to know why in the **** its takin 3 weeks longer than anticipated. like hey its a Jeep, ****s gonna go wrong, its expected. BUT explain why its takin you forever, or say you cant do it and give me my Jeep back. If it were me and i went there Friday and its still wasnt done, i wouldnt leave until it is, or take his Jeep.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:41 AM

Year: 74
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 318

ok so as soon as i read your post the first thing thatcame to mind is klondike bar,

but for your actual problem i would just wait till friday and if he says a few more days then (if you ar able to) go down to his shop and check and see how his work is coming along. if no progress is made then maybe its time for a refund and to find a new mechanic.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:39 AM

i destroyed the old block he put a whole new block in. he gave me an update along with his excuses on why its not done yet. he said its going to be done on friday and hes going to make it up to me, i really dont want to **** him off that much just because he has my jeep and my money, when i go up there on friday he will get a peice of my mind. one of the reasons i chose to get the work done by him was because he claimed he would have it done in a week.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:59 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: H.O. 4.0 I6

That sucks dude, you should let everyone on here know WHO this guy is, after you get your Jeep back of course,lol. It ALWAYS sucks waiting for stuff, especially when the guy told you he'd have it done a month ago.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 high output, Alabama Cylinder head, 60mm bored TB

Originally Posted by cheromanche
i destroyed the old block he put a whole new block in. he gave me an update along with his excuses on why its not done yet. he said its going to be done on friday and hes going to make it up to me, i really dont want to **** him off that much just because he has my jeep and my money, when i go up there on friday he will get a peice of my mind. one of the reasons i chose to get the work done by him was because he claimed he would have it done in a week.
I'd let him explain himself first before you go yelling at the guy, especially if he does good work. You never know, maybe something came up. If the guy had a family issue then you'd probably feel like a real dick for yelling at him. If he was just messing around and the job wasn't even done right, then you have reason to speak your mind. Just giving you a word of caution. I know it must be frustrating, but I've seen people jump to conclusions way too quickly before, which is bad for both ends.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

IS he just a guy or a busyness?
Old 05-12-2010, 02:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94

Originally Posted by nick_n_ii
IS he just a guy or a busyness?
My guess it's just a guy with mechanical experience. A shop assembling a short block would charge a hell of alot more money.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:23 PM

From what hes telling me its coming along good, and im not mad about that. i mean hes giving me a great deal, im paying 1000 for him to completely rebuild the motor and put it in hes also fixing my 4wd and putting a new compressor clutch on. if i get it back friday i wouldnt mind the wait. but now its becoming an inconvenience for me, especially after he told me it was going to take a week.

also its a 2 man business out of Jupiter Florida
Old 05-12-2010, 03:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94

I'd stop in being friendly, to look the Jeep over and get a feel where they are with the work. Let him know you'll be back friday to pick it up.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:56 PM

Year: 1992

id just want to see the jeep... you could tell how far along he is by looking at it.... for 1000 bucks i would wait a month. lol
Old 05-14-2010, 10:10 AM

he called me this morning saying it wont be done until tuesday, he says he has to order "some part" and it would take until monday to get there. im going there this weekend too see how its coming. hes telling me hes really behind, im thinking i should have done this myself now.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:54 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

Originally Posted by cheromanche
he called me this morning saying it wont be done until tuesday, he says he has to order "some part" and it would take until monday to get there. im going there this weekend too see how its coming. hes telling me hes really behind, im thinking i should have done this myself now.
That's bull****. Call his *** back right now and tell him you NEED to know what that part is. This seems really shady to me....
Old 05-14-2010, 12:31 PM

im just gonna show up to his shop unannounced tommorrow.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

yeah, just show up unannounced and see where he's at with it.

don't be a *****, that won't get you anywhere but a botched job. be nice, and he will try to help you out quicker.

then once it's done, don't recommend him or go back for anything. unless he does an outstanding job in the end.

a good mechanic for cheap is hard to find these days. seems they're all out to rip you off.