Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Talking What is this red fluid???

So the other day I was doing my valve cover seal and I had a good laugh. I was trying to remove the breather elbows on the valve cover and they were disintegrating in the process. The rubber grommets were hardened and the plastic elbows were brittle and cracked. I started out by trying with hands, then moved to pliers, then just started crushing and cutting things into small pieces to remove them. I was digging the last bits out of the cover with my fingers and suddenly there was red stuff mixed in with the oil that was all over my fingers. I was like "O CRAP?!? What the hell is this red stuff doing in my crankcase???!!!" I couldn't for the life of me find where it was coming from, until I wiped the oil off my hands and found out one of my fingers had sprung a leak. Stupid breather elbows sliced me so clean I never even felt it! I musta laughed for ten minutes at how freaked out I got over finding red stuff in my valve cover, cuz it's not like I've never bled on a vehicle before.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L HO L6

My wife asks me, "Why don't you want to donate blood?"
I said "I do, I own a Jeep!"
Old 04-11-2011, 09:49 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by RK1911
My wife asks me, "Why don't you want to donate blood?"
I said "I do, I own a Jeep!"
A truer statement has never been made.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The same happened to me, Chery has a little bit of my blood all over the place. And I had cuts and scrapes all over my arms.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L

i did that when i cut my arm open didnt feel it till someone was like dude theres blood all over your arm! and i was like WOOH! but my jeeps deff cut me a few times haha
Old 04-12-2011, 07:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

How can you tell the difference between someone who takes there Jeep to a mechanic and someone who does the work themselves - by the number of scars on his/her arms and hands. Our Jeeps like being built up and worked on, but like any surgery, it hurts, and they fight back, letting us know through cuts, scrapes, and burns, "Hey, that hurt!" We just gotta keep reminding them that it's for the best and that all of it makes them better.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Native Americans used to take those old Jeep plastic elbows and make arrow heads out of them. They would use a piece of deer antler and nap the edges of the elbow until it was the shape of a arrow head, and then they would secure it to the shaft of the arrow with thin strips of rubber from the wiper blades. They would fashion a quiver to carry their arrows in out of the seat belts and sagging headliner. When in battle with other tribes or the white man. they would run out of arrows and then start hurling used crank shaft position sensors at their enemy. They are a very resourceful people.

Last edited by Bustedback; 04-13-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Default arrows?!

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Native Americans used to take those old Jeep plastic elbows and make arrow heads out of them. ...

Haha I was just thinking yesterday that my coolant temp sensor looks a lot like one of Rambo's explosive tipped arrows! (I promptly replaced it.)

I'm a huge fan of The Dukes of Hazzard - I may just have to get me some bow & arrow action for the jeep...
Old 04-12-2011, 09:28 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Native Americans used to take those old Jeep plastic elbows and make arrow heads out of them. They would use a piece of deer antler and nap the edges of the elbow until it was the shape of a arrow head, and then they would secure it to the shaft of the arrow with thin strips of rubber from the wiper blades. They would fashion a quil to carry their arrows in out of the seat belts and sagging headliner. When in battle with other tribes or the white man. they would run out of arrows and then start hurling used crank shaft position sensors at their enemy. They are a very resourceful people.
It's true. The Southeastern Indian nation was, in fact, named after the SUV that they sustained their livelihood from.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Default yep

I'm pretty sure they were involved in the production process too. I've found some pretty authentic looking relics under my hood!
Old 04-12-2011, 11:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993 / 1998
Engine: 4.0L / 2.5L TD

Originally Posted by Evilpopcorn
The same happened to me, Chery has a little bit of my blood all over the place. And I had cuts and scrapes all over my arms.
Theres that old saying about people puting blood sweat and tears into something - i havent burst into tears (yet), but Ive sweated buckets and bled more often than i can count - especially over the engine and on the suspension. Ive got the beaten up weathered hands of a hundred years old!.