Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 10:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default What to do? What to do?

Jeep 1: 1999 xj sport power windows but that's about it with a salvage title that some idiot broke into and destroyed the key switch, wiring harness, and dashboard, and radio console
Was a great little jeep with high mileage but ran good. Had a squeaking noise upon startup kinda like a pulley but nothing major. Great body
Jeep 2: 1999 xj sport loaded with a great body, very dirty interior, also high mileage, clear title, bad engine. Took a chance that the motor may be ok (turns out I was wrong) and bought it for $750.

What should I do? I could probably fix jeep 1 for less than $500. Or I could kill jeep 1 and put the engine in Jeep 2 but I'd hate to do that in a way. Jeep 1 was my first. Fixing jeep 2 is going to run into a replacement engine plus labor and other parts.

What would you do in my situation? I hate turning jeeps that can be fixed into a parts jeep. So I'm torn and need some advice/encouragement as to what to do. Anything I'm not thinking about here?
Old 03-04-2015, 10:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Fix both, one daily driver, one trail rig. Fix the cheapest first so you have something to drive then slowly fix the other. Best of both worlds!
Old 03-05-2015, 01:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Combine them into one decent one.
Or fix one, throw a cheap-o lift/bumper on it and throw it on CL. Use the 3-4k you'll make to fix up the other one. Pretty ridiculous how much a 80$ spacer/block lift will add to the value to the unaware.

Last edited by Ianf406; 03-05-2015 at 01:20 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:58 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L

What's wrong with the engine on jeep 2? If you can wrench there are some very fairly priced rebuild kits and I would just rebuild it. I rebuilt a 4.0 last year for $600 including all machining work. I bought the kit through perfectengine.com. Customer service was outstanding and it was cheap to upgrade certain parts of the kit so I got all premium components where it counted (don't buy cheap rings or a Chinese oil pump). Auto zone rents ridge reamers and cylinder hones. The machine shop only charged me 150 to surface the head and grind valves and seats. My lifters were perfect but they're cheap too if needed.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vank
What's wrong with the engine on jeep 2? If you can wrench there are some very fairly priced rebuild kits and I would just rebuild it. I rebuilt a 4.0 last year for $600 including all machining work. I bought the kit through perfectengine.com. Customer service was outstanding and it was cheap to upgrade certain parts of the kit so I got all premium components where it counted (don't buy cheap rings or a Chinese oil pump). Auto zone rents ridge reamers and cylinder hones. The machine shop only charged me 150 to surface the head and grind valves and seats. My lifters were perfect but they're cheap too if needed.
I'm not experienced at mechanics but I can figure a little bit out and do the basics. My mechanic tells me there is no compression and the end of the distributor is broke off. I think I'll buy a motor and have him swap them on Jeep 2. Any suggestions from you guys?
Old 03-06-2015, 11:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyback
I'm not experienced at mechanics but I can figure a little bit out and do the basics. My mechanic tells me there is no compression and the end of the distributor is broke off. I think I'll buy a motor and have him swap them on Jeep 2. Any suggestions from you guys?

Jeep #2 When you say buy a motor are you saying a used one or a rebuilt long block to go into it? If used I would want to hear it run and take a compression test at least on it other that its a crap shoot. This sounds like it will be your DD anyway.

With the interior you need to remove it then all the seat covers if their that filthy and have them cleaned same for the carpet. This way you can really clean everything well.

Jeep #1 If you can afford to keep 2 Jeeps then keep this one for a trail rig and put it together as funds permit or just throw it together so it runs and sell.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 1999 4.0L

Take the motor and good interior parts from the no-title jeep, and then burn it
Old 03-06-2015, 04:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Jeep #2 When you say buy a motor are you saying a used one or a rebuilt long block to go into it? If used I would want to hear it run and take a compression test at least on it other that its a crap shoot. This sounds like it will be your DD anyway. With the interior you need to remove it then all the seat covers if their that filthy and have them cleaned same for the carpet. This way you can really clean everything well. Jeep #1 If you can afford to keep 2 Jeeps then keep this one for a trail rig and put it together as funds permit or just throw it together so it runs and sell.
Sounds like this is the route I'm going. Picking up a used engine on Monday probably. I got a decent deal on it so I'm gonna get jeep 2 going and drive it. Gonna take some time cleaning it up etc as soon as the weather fairs up. Jeep 1 is gonna be my off road jeep. Not a serious off roader but every addiction starts somewhere!
Old 03-27-2015, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tyback
Sounds like this is the route I'm going. Picking up a used engine on Monday probably. I got a decent deal on it so I'm gonna get jeep 2 going and drive it. Gonna take some time cleaning it up etc as soon as the weather fairs up. Jeep 1 is gonna be my off road jeep. Not a serious off roader but every addiction starts somewhere!
Fix them both man. No one wants to kill a good xj.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:03 PM

Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

Fix 1 first,will be better in the long run imo