XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

what to do on trail when u bteak down

Old 05-11-2015, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6
Default what to do on trail when u bteak down

I can't seem to find any info on this..how do u get your jeep home if you have serious mechanical failure on the trail. Sorry if it's a stupid question it has just been eating at me
Old 05-11-2015, 11:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 1999 4.0L

If you can't get the jeep out, bring parts in
Old 05-12-2015, 12:04 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Bring tools. Bring spares. If it's beyond anything you can do out there, get it towed out. Have had to do this once or twice. It sucks. Takes a LONG time to be pulled out behind someone on a tow strap. Most times you can fix it out there, you may have to camp out with your rig, while someone goes and gets parts/tools. This is why it's imperative that you bring extra food, water, and clothing when you go out. Better to be prepared than not.

Every situation is different, so it's impossible to say what to bring or not bring. But, things like belts, hoses, ujoints, shafts and so on are good to have on hand, as well as a decently stocked tool kit and extra fluids.

Last edited by Rogue4x4; 05-12-2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001, 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Folks that do hard core wheeling tend to trailer their rig. Not because their rig isn't street legal, but because its easier to get home if something brakes. A trail repair may be good enough to get off the trail, but not good enough to be back on the street. Bust a control arm? Maybe some ratchet straps/block of wood. Bust a tie rod, maybe get your hi lift strapped to what's left. The more common parts that break, like axle shafts, driveshafts, u-joints can be done on the trail because you bring spares.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Fix it if you can if not have someone drag you back to the road and have it towed home.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

i've seen all kinds of trail fixes using what's available.
broken shackle on a cj, cut a few thick branches to hold it up and ratchet straps to tighten it down. drove out of the trail and 40 miles back to camp to be welded up.

broken control arm mount. same idea. ratchet straps.

broken coil spring. cut a part of a tree truck to support it and ratchet straps to hold it all in. drove 200 miles home. jeep was on 39's so lots of suspension from the tires alone.

so unless you've hydrolocked, there's usually always a way to drive it out.
otherwise, you're on the end of a strap back out to the trailhead. then it's on a trailer or tow truck.
another good reason to have CAA/AAA. and i would opt out for the premium with the long tow and add RV just in case you have your camper trailer in tow.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 L

I've been around 3 different jeeps that have been hydrolocked and drove out the trail. Tow the jeep out of the puddle, pull the spark plugs out, crank the engine over a few times to get the water out and it's good to go! I've also had to tow my buddys' jeeps out of the trail (and get mine towed out) plenty of times. It can be tough but usually doable.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

then it's not really hydrolocked. it just took on water.

if it takes on water and you still try to run it without removing the water first, it will lock up, bending and or breaking valves/rods/pistons. once she's locked, you are not starting it.

if you do take on water, you're right. shut it off and remove the water before she locks up. with some fresh oil and filter after you get the water out, and it starts, you should be able to drive it out. but you don't know just how long it will keep running. could be a day, month, or even years.
it becomes a ticking time bomb.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by caged
then it's not really hydrolocked. it just took on water.

if it takes on water and you still try to run it without removing the water first, it will lock up, bending and or breaking valves/rods/pistons. once she's locked, you are not starting it.

if you do take on water, you're right. shut it off and remove the water before she locks up. with some fresh oil and filter after you get the water out, and it starts, you should be able to drive it out. but you don't know just how long it will keep running. could be a day, month, or even years.
it becomes a ticking time bomb.

So you're saying if it stalls out from taking on water then it's not considered hydrolocked? I thought that's exactly what that was.

The 2nd time I did this I tried to start it when it was full of water. I kissed that engine goodbye quickly. Now my whole crew knows not to try to start it when it dies in a puddle.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

This is why you ALWAY go with other people!
Old 05-12-2015, 10:33 AM

wow thanks for all the advice
my uncle usually follows me up when we do trail rides and seeing as how mine's pretty much all stock I don't get too crazy his Broncos a beastso I'm sure he could get me out of there just wanted to make sure I could get my heap off trail if needed
Old 05-12-2015, 11:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

With that in mind is why my XJ is so heavily loaded when I hit the trail, usually just the wife and I so we prepare for most all the emergency's we can. We always go over the Jeep "twice" several day's before we plan on a wheeling trip to make sure it in good shape and tighten things from last trip. Then restock items used up last time out food, water, parts, etc.

If you can this is always an good idea also as mentioned earlier a trailer and extra 4wd my 04 XJ at the trail start, just in case. (Old photo of my XJ)
.Name:  1999JeepXJ005_zps40a7393c.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  81.7 KB
Old 05-12-2015, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Mine is a trailer queen so I tend to beat the crap out it a bit more than some because I know I don't have to drive it home. That being said I carry plenty of the common spare parts like u joint, shafts, yokes, drive shafts and misc. nuts and bolts. I've had to have mine towed/drug off the trail and helped with many others. You just have to adapt and overcome. Here is a pic of a Wrangler we limped off the trail this past Saturday, gotta love a D35. Biggest tip is don't wheel alone.
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2015, 10:56 PM

What exactly an I looking at here what is the stick doing
Old 05-12-2015, 11:11 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

Originally Posted by howellrobby
What exactly an I looking at here what is the stick doing
Im guessing since he mentioned it was a d35....they busted a shaft and the stick is being used to keep the wheel and broke shaft from flying off...lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what to do on trail when u bteak down