XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Tow bar and towing questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Engine: 6 CYL HO
Default Tow bar and towing questions

Okay. I have always trailered my rigs, but I am thinking about using a tow bar. I will be towing the XJ about 500 miles.
1st. Is it okay to pull it that far with a tow bar and what precautions should I take?

2nd. What is a good tow bar set for the XJ?
I will probably have more questions as this goes, but I appreciate any help.
Thank you.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L6

Is this just a one-time trip to tow the XJ? If it is, if I were you I would consider renting a tow dolly. Flat towing can get a little squirrelly. What vehicle will you use as a tow rig?
Old 02-02-2018, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tbone289
Is this just a one-time trip to tow the XJ? If it is, if I were you I would consider renting a tow dolly. Flat towing can get a little squirrelly. What vehicle will you use as a tow rig?
This would be about 500 miles there and 500 back. We are going to take the XJ to New Mexico to do some wheeling. I have always used a trailer in the past. I have never used a tow bar. I have just been looking at them and thought it might use less fuel and pull easier then a trailer. I have never tried it, so I figured I would ask.
We would be using my son's z71 crew cab to tow it.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I've never had this problem, but I've always flat towed XJs that were stock behind a motorhome. I barely know they are back there, and it's nice not to have to deal with a trailer or dolly when you get to where you're going. I can see how a lifted XJ could be problematic if things aren't squared away properly though.

I use a Blue Ox tow bar/blaseplate combination. The baseplate that works for the pre '97 XJs is this one: (You didn't mention the year of your XJ)

http://www.blueox.com/products/basep...jeep-cherokee/

They make several different tow bars with varying features.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by robertj
I've never had this problem, but I've always flat towed XJs that were stock behind a motorhome. I barely know they are back there, and it's nice not to have to deal with a trailer or dolly when you get to where you're going. I can see how a lifted XJ could be problematic if things aren't squared away properly though.

I use a Blue Ox tow bar/blaseplate combination. The baseplate that works for the pre '97 XJs is this one: (You didn't mention the year of your XJ)

http://www.blueox.com/products/basep...jeep-cherokee/

They make several different tow bars with varying features.
Thanks for the info. My XJ is a 94 with a 3" lift and 31" tires.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:52 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by robertj
I've never had this problem, but I've always flat towed XJs that were stock behind a motorhome. I barely know they are back there
That's why I asked what he would be towing with. The lighter the tow rig is, the more a dolly becomes important for stability.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee

That's why I asked what he would be towing with. The lighter the tow rig is, the more a dolly becomes important for stability.
I agree, I flat towed an XJ behind a '94 Grand one time, and around tight corners such as on/off ramps you had to take it pretty easy. The motorhome is a different story though.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:29 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990

Dollying can trash trannies and transfer cases.

The XJs were designed to be flat towed and the instructions are in the owner's manual.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:05 AM
CF Veteran

Please explain. A tow dolly with the transfer case in neutral, trans in park is worse on the drivetrain than flat towing? I know people who have done this with an XJ for thousands of miles with no issues. I know that in itself doesn't make it right, and I'm aware of what my manual says, but what is it about the XJ design that necessitates flat towing? My understanding is that later-model NP231's (somewhere after '93 or '94?) have a "true" neutral that allows dollying. Of course, if you disconnect the rear drive shaft and strap it up out of the way, the type of neutral shouldn't matter anyway.

Last edited by Tbone289; 02-05-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:33 PM

Year: 1994
Default Tow Bar

Originally Posted by Biggsly
Okay. I have always trailered my rigs, but I am thinking about using a tow bar. I will be towing the XJ about 500 miles.
1st. Is it okay to pull it that far with a tow bar and what precautions should I take?

2nd. What is a good tow bar set for the XJ?
I will probably have more questions as this goes, but I appreciate any help.
Thank you.
Hey bud, did you see the tow bar brackets I have listed in classified/ under accesories ?? It free if you can use em..just pay shipping..
Old 02-05-2018, 09:42 PM

Please explain. A tow dolly with the transfer case in neutral, trans in park is worse on the drivetrain than flat towing? I know people who have done this with an XJ for thousands of miles with no issues. I know that in itself doesn't make it right, and I'm aware of what my manual says, but what is it about the XJ design that necessitates flat towing? My understanding is that later-model NP231's (somewhere after '93 or '94?) have a "true" neutral that allows dollying. Of course, if you disconnect the rear drive shaft and strap it up out of the way, the type of neutral shouldn't matter anyway.
Hmmm...I owned a towing business for 12 years.
Attached Thumbnails Tow bar and towing questions-1-20180205_145417.jpg  

Last edited by cruiser54; 02-06-2018 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:57 AM
CF Veteran

My manual doesn't state that nor does it have any similar warnings, and note that I mentioned tying up the prop shaft disconnected at the rear. The transfer case wouldn't leak in that case. Regardless, if there is no interaction front to rear of a transfer case in neutral, ("true" neutral as I stated above) as is the case with my NP231, I fail to see how the transfer case or transmission can be damaged even if you don't disconnect the driveshaft.

Any chance that you can answer my question, rather than just taking a "because I know" approach? What I'm looking for is an explanation or theory, not just "the manual says don't do it so don't do it". I appreciate your knowledge, but I prefer to understand the "why" of things rather than simply going on an opinion, professional or not.

Last edited by Tbone289; 02-06-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:26 AM

My manual doesn't state that nor does it have any similar warnings, and note that I mentioned tying up the prop shaft disconnected at the rear. The transfer case wouldn't leak in that case. Regardless, if there is no interaction front to rear of a transfer case in neutral, ("true" neutral as I stated above) as is the case with my NP231, I fail to see how the transfer case or transmission can be damaged even if you don't disconnect the driveshaft.

Any chance that you can answer my question, rather than just taking a "because I know" approach? What I'm looking for is an explanation or theory, not just "the manual says don't do it so don't do it". I appreciate your knowledge, but I prefer to understand the "why" of things rather than simply going on an opinion, professional or not.

I'm saying that you can't take a blanket approach to using a tow dolly. The transfer cases changed through the years. Best to consult the owners manual for your year and transfer case.
That said, they ALL can be flat towed without issues. Providing of course the proper procedures are employed.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:31 AM
CF Veteran

OK, understood. I was aware of a change of the transfer case, but wasn't sure when the changeover happened. At the time I suggested the dolly we didn't know what model year the OP had, and I should have asked that first.

Thanks for taking the time to humor me!
Old 02-06-2018, 06:48 PM

OK, understood. I was aware of a change of the transfer case, but wasn't sure when the changeover happened. At the time I suggested the dolly we didn't know what model year the OP had, and I should have asked that first.

Thanks for taking the time to humor me!
Oh, I am a humoring SOB.

I've never found a comprehensive list of what can and cannot be towed with one axle on the ground. Being in the business, I erred on the side of caution so I didn't have to buy trannies and/or transfer cases.

Quick Reply: Tow bar and towing questions