starting new

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: inline 6
Default starting new

i am planning on turning my 1996 jeep Cherokee into a freaking sweet crawler but i live in California and the laws are strict on what you can drive on the road and my jeep has a few problems...so all the help i can receive on this would be amazing thank you
Old 04-09-2014, 03:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0

If its got lights and can pass smog , there is very little else that would make it not street legal. Even Here in Kalifornia. The biggest problem we are having, is a place to wheel....
Old 04-09-2014, 03:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

are you in placeville? or placerville? do whatever you want. you're just not allowed to remove the cat or make a custom exhaust between the header and the cat. tires sticking out, no mudflaps, no mirrors, broken windshield, no windshield wipers, no doors, no sway bars, front license plate fell off somewhere in reno... these are all the things I drove around town with. the cops never bothered me here in Roseville

as long as you've got a rear license plate, current tags, and can pass smog at some point you're golden
Old 04-09-2014, 06:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

As long as the vehicle meets the California vehicle code you're ok.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bustedback
As long as the vehicle meets the California vehicle code you're ok.
pretty difficult to do.

entire tred of your tire must be covered
all mirrors that came factory must remain in place
bumpers and frame have a limit from how high they can be off the ground
if your factory wheel well/bumper is not covering your tire you need mudflaps
decibal law, can't remove your muffler
can't remove your doors (wranglers can because the rockers are 4" tall? BS)

the list goes on. standard crap for most places. ain't nobody got time for that

here's some basic CA lift laws etc. for ya OP
http://www.liftlaws.com/california_lift_laws.htm
Old 04-09-2014, 07:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Most of the time cops won't hassle you over most things, but it depends on the officer's mood. If you get pulled over and you or the cop has an attitude the citations may start to pile up.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: inline 6

ok im planning on lifting my jeep about 4-5 inches then widening the wheels idk how big i can go on that then im going to put 31-32inch tires on it then a snorkel and a roll cage i need ideas on the cheapest but best i can get on mine
Old 04-10-2014, 10:52 AM
CF Veteran

snorkel in northern CA is a pretty pointless mod. plus I'm like 60% sure you need to have the stock intake on at time of inspection. better to just leave it alone. just keep researching man. start with a 3.5" or 4.5" lift, tires, then take it over to prarie city and dink around and see how you like it. upgrade from there

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Most of the time cops won't hassle you over most things, but it depends on the officer's mood. If you get pulled over and you or the cop has an attitude the citations may start to pile up.
yeah I'd say this reigns pretty true. pretty much whatever you do to your jeep is a risk you'd have to be willing to take. but on 32's and a 4" lift he should be totally fine
Old 04-10-2014, 11:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

With most snorkles your stock air box is still there, just with a hole and extra tube coming from it.

OP, going that high, id want to run at least 33s or 35s. The snorkel is pretty pointless and kind of a mall crawler stamp around here. But being in Cali, you guys have like one of the most famous trails(Rubicon) and not far from moab.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:33 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by PurpleToxin505
With most snorkles your stock air box is still there, just with a hole and extra tube coming from it.
Any mods to the intake/emissions can cause a fail of visual inspection in Cali. It will depend on where you take it, and how much of a stickler they are. If you are dead set on doing a snorkel, make sure you can revert back to your stock config for your bi-annual inspection.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:04 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by roninofako
Any mods to the intake/emissions can cause a fail of visual inspection in Cali. It will depend on where you take it, and how much of a stickler they are. If you are dead set on doing a snorkel, make sure you can revert back to your stock config for your bi-annual inspection.
Damn it must suck. No real inspections here, just emmisions. Sometimes if a cop is being a dick, he'll pull you for "illegal" mods that always get dropped in court. But they're pretty lax on modification laws here.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

The snorkel is pretty pointless and kind of a mall crawler stamp around here. But being in Cali, you guys have like one of the most famous trails(Rubicon) and not far from moab.
a snorkel would be great for fordyce. the rivers there are super deep. unfortunately as of a couple summers ago the rubicon is now a cake walk thanks to the libtards blowing it up

Damn it must suck.
yeah CA is pretty ghey. but once you live here it's kind of hard to want to leave.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:54 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Atmos
a snorkel would be great for fordyce. the rivers there are super deep. unfortunately as of a couple summers ago the rubicon is now a cake walk thanks to the libtards blowing it up

yeah CA is pretty ghey. but once you live here it's kind of hard to want to leave.
Idk if I moved there it would have to be northern in the mountains. I love NM, weather is slightly bipolar but never extreme. And its riddled with some nice trails. And yeah the snorkel would be nice for fordyce, but does the OP realize to really make it worth it, he has to water proof most of the stuff in the bay, or he'll plunge into the crossing, his engine wont get water, but all the sencors that are telling the engine what to do will, plus he need to raise all the vents. I just think if your going to put a snorkel on, you better do it right and make it capable of being submerged and coming out with no issues
Old 04-10-2014, 01:00 PM
CF Veteran

eh. I've gotten water in my transmission out there. just try not to hydrolock out there and change all your fluid when you get back. never had an issue with any sensors or anything though
Old 04-10-2014, 01:04 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Atmos
eh. I've gotten water in my transmission out there. just try not to hydrolock out there and change all your fluid when you get back. never had an issue with any sensors or anything though
Oh yeah, I've put my jeep in some decently deep water, covered my 31s only issue I had was the my volt meter stopped working, it dropped to 0, next morning everything was fine

Quick Reply: starting new