Shock dilemma

Old 12-13-2012, 06:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: Straight 6
Default Shock dilemma

So, I need a few parts to get better ride quality from my Jeep. I am at two inches right now. My shackle angle is nearly 90 degrees up and the ride is pretty darn rough, needs improved ASAP. I'm going to get some HD Offroad relocation brackets and with the better angle I'm hoping it only gives me another inch of height. I'll need to go an inch higher in the front to avoid having a raked stance. Then I'll get a YJ brake line for the rear and net roughly a $160 investment. LCAs and track bar will remain stock for now, absolutely plan to upgrade later.

Now the issue becomes shocks. I'm on stock shocks right now and they already suck at two inches. I imagine three inches plus will REALLY suck or completely ruin them. I'd love Bilsteins but I can't afford to drop another $350 right now in addition to the $160.

I can get generic white-bodies that everyone seems to hate for less than $150.
How bad of an idea is this, really?
Could I get anything from the parts stores that would be better but still adequate for a three inch lift? (Like JK replacements or something?)

If I opt not to get white bodies, I guess I'll have to delay the shackle fix which means months more of this terrible ride. I don't really like that idea. Thanks for any advice.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

Just throw the cheapest thing on there you can find that is longer until you've got it at the height you want it at and all the geometry right. THEN spring for the bilsteins