Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Repair or replace tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Repair or replace tranny?

While out 4-wheeling, my automatic 94 Grand Cherokee stopped shifting to 3rd. I looked on the jeep forum/spoke with other jeep owners and was advised to first try to remove the TPS, dry it, clean it and reinstall. I did this and tried to drive it-still won't shift. Next I verify all fluid levels and all are good. The transfer case needed oil, which I added. I tried to drive it again and it still did not shift. After that I dropped the transmission pan, draining the fluids, and replacing the filter and gasket. New tranny fluid added. Now the damn thing won't shift properly out of first to second and still will not shift to third. Any ideas? Is it just time to replace tranny?
Old 01-29-2012, 05:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

Sounds like the tranny is done, probably can't hurt it further so a small container of trans snake oil won't hurt, add some of the trans fix products, say lucas product.
Next, start shopping for replacement options, check out junk yard, and at least 2 trans shops. Prices will vary widely, make sure u understand what they are offering, rebuild or replacement. What warranty is offered. Auxilliary trans cooler is also a good add on investment for longevity of the next trans.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the tranny replaced with rebuild at a shop-now transfer case (?) is making a whining noise when it shifts to second or around 35mph-any ideas? Put it on jack stands and put into drive in order to accurately detect where the noise was coming from. Fluid levels are good. Is the transfer case in need of attention? Never made the noise prior to the new tranny-very frustrating plz help.