Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Removed carpet, questions on suitable replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Removed carpet, questions on suitable replacement

I have a 1990 XJ, first jeep and im new to this. I've been reading a lot of posts on the subject, but haven't found a suitable answer, my question is, after i remove my carpet and fix any rust, which I already did, what is the best course of action to create a durable liner? I wanted to bed line it with herculine, and I read more into it to find out there's a lot of complaints of road noise and heat. I'm not sure how much help a sound deadening mat like dynamat is, and if I can put bed liner over it and it still being durable.. as in cracking and chipping due to the softer mat under it instead of straight on metal. Any help would be appreciated, and if anyone has already figured out the master recipe it would be greatly appreciated to get a link.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

The 94 cherokee I have is bed lined. The heat gets through the floor buts its not to bad. Sound wise the road noise is still the same from the bigger tires.
No cracking anywhere...better than carpet for an offroader.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I did the Herculiner kit and it's actually not that bad. Trans tunnel gets warm but not stupid hot and a good set of floor mats works well for keeping me from feeling any heat. More road noise does get through but when you don't have any drain plugs and MT's, that's kind of expected. As for a possible help, look on eBay for FatMat. It's the exact same thing as Dynamat but a lot cheaper. The hurculiner sticks to it pretty decently. If you get it, only use it where it's most needed (trans tunnel). Personally I'm good with just the liner and the rubber floor mats.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:46 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: Jasper 4.0L

I did it too, worth every penny for $75. Loud-ish, depends on ur tires. Personally I don't mind it. Heat, yes, not bad at all.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:47 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: Jasper 4.0L

Originally Posted by no rdplz
I did the Herculiner kit and it's actually not that bad. Trans tunnel gets warm but not stupid hot and a good set of floor mats works well for keeping me from feeling any heat. More road noise does get through but when you don't have any drain plugs and MT's, that's kind of expected. As for a possible help, look on eBay for FatMat. It's the exact same thing as Dynamat but a lot cheaper. The hurculiner sticks to it pretty decently. If you get it, only use it where it's most needed (trans tunnel). Personally I'm good with just the liner and the rubber floor mats.
Rubber floor mats actually do make a big difference. I never noticed till I had them out the other day. I have two on each side.