Push Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Push Bumper

As some of you may already know, my XJ needs some body work up front. I'm hoping to get it done in a couple weeks from now, and when I get it done I'd very much like to have a nice steel push bumper installed instead of another stock one. Could you guys inform me how to go about doing this and what company or person I could buy one from, and how much it might cost? I'm posting an image below as an example of the type of bumper I'd like to have.

Name:  jeeppic.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  118.2 KB
Old 07-11-2013, 12:07 AM

Another question for anybody who may offer some advice on the matter.

The biggest problem that I need fixed is the bent chassis (forward of the suspension where the sway bar attaches, which has thrown my alignment off) and I also need a new radiator because it was pushed into the fan and smashed a bit (no overheating problems, though). Also I was going to have them fix the A/C while they're at it.

However I get the feeling that a grille, header panel, and aftermarket bumper may not be very hard to install. Perhaps I could do that myself? Is it advisable for me to undertake such a task if I have no prior experience?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-11-2013, 12:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 190-hp, 4.0-liter I-6

I've never owned a bumper like that, but i do own this one. It was 215 shipped off eBay and I've never had any problems. Bolts right on as they should. If you need reinforcement, get a unibody tie in. Oh and a bumper like that would cost hundreds more.
Attached Thumbnails Push Bumper-image-4139724926.jpg  
Old 07-11-2013, 12:14 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Turbocube
Another question for anybody who may offer some advice on the matter.

The biggest problem that I need fixed is the bent chassis (forward of the suspension where the sway bar attaches, which has thrown my alignment off) and I also need a new radiator because it was pushed into the fan and smashed a bit (no overheating problems, though). Also I was going to have them fix the A/C while they're at it.

However I get the feeling that a grille, header panel, and aftermarket bumper may not be very hard to install. Perhaps I could do that myself? Is it advisable for me to undertake such a task if I have no prior experience?

Thanks in advance!
Very easy. I had all that off in a short time never having experience with taking any of it off. I have a 94 so I'm not sure if newer style is different or not.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:46 AM

Thanks man. Yours looks pretty legit. Though I don't need a winch.

I've been doing some reading and I wonder if I can't just pay the shop to straighten that frame and fix the A/C, and then just do all the bodywork myself. I could probably just hammer out my current bent bumper and buy the fancy one when I can.
Opinions, advice, and experience wanted.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:51 AM
CF Veteran

Thanks man. Yours looks pretty legit. Though I don't need a winch.

I've been doing some reading and I wonder if I can't just pay the shop to straighten that frame and fix the A/C, and then just do all the bodywork myself. I could probably just hammer out my current bent bumper and buy the fancy one when I can.
Opinions, advice, and experience wanted.
I don't have a winch and if I were to get one I would definetly tie into the unibody and can you even straighten the frame out? Idk. No experience there. And if you can get your current bumper looking decent then save for the bumper you want.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:00 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

You posted an arb bumper, stupidly overpriced.
Google Cherokee offroad bumper or xj offroad bumper
Old 07-11-2013, 02:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by wiggles
You posted an arb bumper, stupidly overpriced.
Google Cherokee offroad bumper or xj offroad bumper
I bought a couple used so coming across them for half off if not more is worth it.

Simply search images and find a bumper YOU like. Arb, warn, nates, xrc, rustys, jcr, t&t customs...all make bumpers. Bumpers are easy to install but a new one with that much weight is much easier with a helping hand moving it around and holding it in place when bolting it up.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:47 PM

Yes my frame can be straightened. The part that is bent is where the bumper attaches, its meant to buckle in an accident, its not like I bent the unibody frame rails or anything. There are loads of pics here - just check the threads I've made. I'd appreciate your opinion on it.

Thinking I'll just have that and A/C fixed by the shop, then. Because while I won't take a girl out who thinks my XJ isn't nice enough for her, I also really can't take a girl out with no A/C in July.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:54 AM

Year: 87
Engine: 2.5 4 banger

Yes my frame can be straightened. The part that is bent is where the bumper attaches, its meant to buckle in an accident, its not like I bent the unibody frame rails or anything. There are loads of pics here - just check the threads I've made. I'd appreciate your opinion on it.

Thinking I'll just have that and A/C fixed by the shop, then. Because while I won't take a girl out who thinks my XJ isn't nice enough for her, I also really can't take a girl out with no A/C in July.
Doorless mod. Chicks either dig it or are scared to death they'll fall out haha
Old 07-12-2013, 12:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8 V6

Originally Posted by Cherokeekid4x4
I've never owned a bumper like that, but i do own this one. It was 215 shipped off eBay and I've never had any problems. Bolts right on as they should. If you need reinforcement, get a unibody tie in. Oh and a bumper like that would cost hundreds more.
Ive got this same bumper. Its simple and sturdy, takin down many small to medium trees and pulled an F150 out with it. Great for the price, got mine 190 shipped off ebay
Old 07-13-2013, 05:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Look at http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/feat...nch-bumper-xj/ http://www.jcroffroad.com/mm5/mercha...egory_Code=XJB