Pro tip: Steel toe boots :-/

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4L v6
Default Pro tip: Steel toe boots :-/

I know it may seem like common sense, but common sense often isn't all that common.

At the JY on tues I pulled some s10 leaf springs. I thought before i left that i should wear my boots (i have 2 different pairs of steel toe boots) instead I just threw on my tennis shoes. Not really a problem, until i was carrying the springs to the counter and dropped one..... square on my Little Toe!!

Luckily i didn't break it, just turned it all sorts of pretty colors.

So my advice... if you have steel toe boots...wear 'em... my little experience with gravity could of ended really badly, I got lucky i just got a bad bruise.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:52 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

I wear my boots 90% of the time I am out of the house, more comfortable than shoes to me anyway, let alone safer.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

if I'm working on anything I'm wearing my redwings 1 they are more comfortable then most sneakers for me and 2 they have saved my toes more then a few times.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Grand Cherokee

my current boots are pretty comfortable but as the day goes on they bug me, maybe because they are $30 walmart boots with the sole almost completely worn down. Good thing my new skechers boots get here soon, itching to try those out
Old 09-15-2010, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

Have to love steeltoe boots. they've saved my feet many times when i go work for a friend cut down tree's and split them for firewood
Old 09-15-2010, 10:22 PM

Engine: 4L v6

I have a good pair of redwing boots that i use for work (they even pay for them). They are pretty comfortable, just a bit hot. My work is even getting me a new pair here soon once i go get them. so maybe i will keep my old ones for when i am going any where near my jeep.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ski_junkie
I know it may seem like common sense, but common sense often isn't all that common.

At the JY on tues I pulled some s10 leaf springs. I thought before i left that i should wear my boots (i have 2 different pairs of steel toe boots) instead I just threw on my tennis shoes. Not really a problem, until i was carrying the springs to the counter and dropped one..... square on my Little Toe!!

Luckily i didn't break it, just turned it all sorts of pretty colors.

So my advice... if you have steel toe boots...wear 'em... my little experience with gravity could of ended really badly, I got lucky i just got a bad bruise.

Carbon Fiber toe boots, if you drop something very heavy, the steel is going to bend and cut your toes clear off. Happened to my brother in law in his garage.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Diesel
Carbon Fiber toe boots, if you drop something very heavy, the steel is going to bend and cut your toes clear off. Happened to my brother in law in his garage.
I was gonna say. I know alot of shops with hi-lo's running around, that wont alow employees to wear steel toe boots. One of my dads buddies got his big toe chopped clear off by his steel toe boot when his foot was run over by a hi-lo. But I guess i would rather have my toe chopped off than just smashed.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Smashed can be reconstructed. Cut off, not so much.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away

Boy it takes alot of weight to crush a steel toe boot though, REAL EXP. HERE we had a guy at work have his foot run over by a 10 ton forklift,and sorry his toes stayed on. So it will take alot more than you can think of also watch mythbusters.Remember to see it ,and not talk out of the wrong end all the time guys. Other wise they would be banned. D.A.

Last edited by rich; 09-16-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away

Originally Posted by Diesel
Smashed can be reconstructed. Cut off, not so much.
Updated surgury methods now can reconnect limbs and etc.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

I'll back up the suggestion of any composite toe boot. For a few reasons.

Composite toe boots carry the same ANSI rating as steel toe boots. They have to, otherwise companies couldn't market them.

Composite toe boots are lighter than steel toes, saving your feet and lower back from added stress. Boots are heavy enough as is.

If you exceed the max rating of a steel toe boot, it will conform to the shape it was crushed to. The main problem here is not cutting or crushing, but the steel conforming to the shape it was crushed to. This makes it difficult for emergency workers to remove your boot from your foot, possibly causing the need to have the steel toe cut off. This itself creates a safety issue, as there isn't much between your foot and the boot. Composites are easier to cut, and most companies create "fracture" zones that will force the composite to break away from the foot and toes, preventing the need for cutting the toe of the boot off.

Not to mention if any of you have ever worn steel toes in the cold, you know they just plain suck. The steel acts as a heat sink, pulling all the warmth away from your toes, causing them to lose feeling quicker.

Composite toes just don't do that.

Composite toe boots offer many bonuses that steel toes can't. Steel toes are old, out dated technology, plain and simple.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:11 PM
CF Veteran

depends on who makes the boots. i wear my army steel toe boots almost 100% of the time. i just make sure that i pay extra attention before i stick my foot under a railroad cart
Old 09-16-2010, 05:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

All this talk of steel toes and composite toes is just rediculous. If im wearing shoes, 9 times out of 10 they're flip flops. I mean i dont wanna get my nice steel toe timberlands scuffed up now do i?
Old 09-16-2010, 06:38 PM

Year: 1990

Originally Posted by 06 DIESEL
I wear my boots 90% of the time I am out of the house, more comfortable than shoes to me anyway, let alone safer.
X2 that. I have titanium toe boots very light weight and strong. I beam dropped from a stakebed truck and on the toe of my left foot didnt feel a thing.

Last edited by blasterman93; 09-16-2010 at 06:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Pro tip: Steel toe boots :-/