Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Polk audio vs alpine

I'm to figure out what speakers I want. I have it narrowed down to the alpine type r and Polk dxi. The alpine type r's are the best speaker alpine makes and the dxis are the second best(the DB's are worst and mm's are the best but the mm's are a lot more than the type r alpines) I was just wondering what you guys think. They will be amped and someday I will have 2 12s to complement them. Also I plan to put 6.5 inch speakers in all six spots. What do you guys think? The dxis or type r's? Thanks
Old 04-19-2012, 08:45 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.7 Hesco stroker

Originally Posted by Power73
I'm to figure out what speakers I want. I have it narrowed down to the alpine type r and Polk dxi. The alpine type r's are the best speaker alpine makes and the dxis are the second best(the DB's are worst and mm's are the best but the mm's are a lot more than the type r alpines) I was just wondering what you guys think. They will be amped and someday I will have 2 12s to complement them. Also I plan to put 6.5 inch speakers in all six spots. What do you guys think? The dxis or type r's? Thanks
A couple of things....what kind of music do you listen to?

Alpine also has Type-X, above the Type R line....

What is your budget?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: i6

I have the DXI's in my cheokee amped by a Kicker zx350.4. They sound really nice and clean, plus they are marine rated so I don't have to worry about them getting damaged by water. I don't know much about the alpines tho...
Old 04-19-2012, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DIRTDOGXJ
A couple of things....what kind of music do you listen to?

Alpine also has Type-X, above the Type R line....

What is your budget?
I listen to about everything. Classic rock, hip hop/rap, country. No budget just want good quality speakers. I'm thinking either

Polk fronts: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Polk+Aud...&skuId=1003299
Polk sound bar and hatch: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Polk+Aud...&skuId=9985099 x2

Alpine front: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+-...&skuId=2293046
Alpine sound bar and hatch: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+-...&skuId=2305546

I want the component speakers in the front. And I'm not rich by any means I just want to buy a good speaker the first time.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:01 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Trey H
I have the DXI's in my cheokee amped by a Kicker zx350.4. They sound really nice and clean, plus they are marine rated so I don't have to worry about them getting damaged by water. I don't know much about the alpines tho...
Thanks! do you have the ones I posted in the last post?
Old 04-19-2012, 09:17 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 L6

i have Kicker KS's witch r great speakers but Polks r dawn good
Old 04-19-2012, 09:33 PM

Honestly, down right bang for your buck, look into Memphis PR series. Alpine Type R is a close second.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 I6

Alpines are by far some of the best made speakers on the market. Polk is one of the lower qualities. (I have done alot of car audio stuff in the past and heard multiple speakers and seen the power). I personally run kicker though. Kicker is much better than Polk as well. But the Rockford and Alpine are the highest quality. BUT invest in good tweeters (for your highs) this will bring out the truly professional clear sound of your speakers. Let me know if you want to know anything else. The cherokee is small, so the highest and loudest quality may not be needed...unlike a big suv or van
Old 04-19-2012, 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by wifin
Alpines are by far some of the best made speakers on the market. Polk is one of the lower qualities. (I have done alot of car audio stuff in the past and heard multiple speakers and seen the power). I personally run kicker though. Kicker is much better than Polk as well. But the Rockford and Alpine are the highest quality. BUT invest in good tweeters (for your highs) this will bring out the truly professional clear sound of your speakers. Let me know if you want to know anything else. The cherokee is small, so the highest and loudest quality may not be needed...unlike a big suv or van
What would you suggest?
Old 04-20-2012, 02:40 PM
CF Veteran

Anyone else?
Old 04-20-2012, 06:01 PM

RE audio and Rockford are great speakers too.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:06 PM

By the way, I am a certified dealer for all the brands mentioned, besides Polk. Let me know which ones you're leaning towards and I'll price them for you.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Power73
Anyone else?
Honestly, I suggest Kicker for great quality and good price. The reason being is that Kicker is well made and priced pretty well. If you are going to also buy through Best Buy they have a pretty good warranty. Crutchfield is also another good site to buy things through. But if Dirtdog can hook you up then talk to him too. You don't need the most powerful for the XJ because of how much smaller it is. Get some good tweeters too (they have some), and these will be great for your highs. These two mixed will sound great. But alot of people forget this...you will NOT get the best sound from your speakers unless your head unit (receiver) is good too. Get a weaka** receiver and wont sound too good. Hopes this helps. Also what sub you thinking of if any?
Old 04-21-2012, 02:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by wifin
Honestly, I suggest Kicker for great quality and good price. The reason being is that Kicker is well made and priced pretty well. If you are going to also buy through Best Buy they have a pretty good warranty. Crutchfield is also another good site to buy things through. But if Dirtdog can hook you up then talk to him too. You don't need the most powerful for the XJ because of how much smaller it is. Get some good tweeters too (they have some), and these will be great for your highs. These two mixed will sound great. But alot of people forget this...you will NOT get the best sound from your speakers unless your head unit (receiver) is good too. Get a weaka** receiver and wont sound too good. Hopes this helps. Also what sub you thinking of if any?
What series kickers are the best? QS,RS,KS,DS? And whatever speakers I end up getting I will prolly get 2 12 inch subs to match the speakers of the same brand. Also I think I'm going to amp the speakers too
Old 04-21-2012, 09:41 PM

Year: 1991

Kicker CVR's will have your ride pounding just fine. Polk Audios last a long time but you pay for that quality. When it comes to Alpine stick with the decks, you can get cheaper subs that are just as good.

Quick Reply: Polk audio vs alpine