Ouch...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Ouch...

Good thing I wasn't in a hurry, I suppose. Metalcloak called and said it will take 3-4 weeks before the lift I ordered today will ship. Guess while I am waiting around I can get the SYE and DS installed. Good times!
Old 05-08-2015, 08:32 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I-6

No worries. Jeep parts are always worth the wait.

A wife, on the other hand...not so much.

If you tell her I said that I'll deny it.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Shipping doesn't take that long from China, its the dock workers on the West Coast that's still on a union work slowdown. Hundreds of ships waiting off shore to get dock space to unload cargo.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Shipping doesn't take that long from China, its the dock workers on the West Coast that's still on a union work slowdown. Hundreds of ships waiting off shore to get dock space to unload cargo.

Between this post and at least one other, point taken. I will cancel my order and get the Rusty's.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I missed something, but just curious... are you implying that metalcloak products are made in China?
Old 05-11-2015, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by scbrooks87
Maybe I missed something, but just curious... are you implying that metalcloak products are made in China?

That's what it sounds like and that isn't the first time he's made that reference. I was just about to PM him to ask about his source when I saw your post and realized I wasn't the only one curious.

Fred, care to share where you got that information? Everything I can find says they're a "Made in the U.S.A." company.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:56 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Metalcloak uses OME leaf springs, which are made in Australia.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:11 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
Metalcloak uses OME leaf springs, which are made in Australia.

Steve's right on that one (My Bad) most all are from China though. Very few made in the USA and only Rustys for "ALL" there kits even the basic ones.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:49 PM

Steve's right on that one (My Bad) most all are from China though. Very few made in the USA and only Rustys for "ALL" there kits even the basic ones.
Gotcha, was just wanting clarity on that one. The ARB kit uses the OME Dakar leaf springs and the OME Nitrocharger sport long travel shocks. Other than those items, I believe Metalcloak manufactures the rest of the products in the kits right here in the good ole USA.

Actually, I just finished installing the Metalcloak ARB edition 3.5" lift kit. The parts all seemed to be of very high quality for anyone who's interested. I have some drive line vibes I need to address with an SYE kit this weekend, but otherwise it felt really good on road, once the SYE is installed and I check my tire clearance and bump stops, I'll be testing offroad!
Old 05-12-2015, 12:03 PM
CF Veteran

Gotcha, was just wanting clarity on that one. The ARB kit uses the OME Dakar leaf springs and the OME Nitrocharger sport long travel shocks. Other than those items, I believe Metalcloak manufactures the rest of the products in the kits right here in the good ole USA.

Actually, I just finished installing the Metalcloak ARB edition 3.5" lift kit. The parts all seemed to be of very high quality for anyone who's interested. I have some drive line vibes I need to address with an SYE kit this weekend, but otherwise it felt really good on road, once the SYE is installed and I check my tire clearance and bump stops, I'll be testing offroad!

The main part of any lift is the leaf/coil quality without those being top notch the rest suffers. Most of the smaller items in a lot of things come from "low bidder" on the contract and we know where most all of those go for everything, yeah I hate it to and try to buy American most of all when the quality is higher on some items, not just these.

The Rustys 3" lift American made is $438 how much was yours?

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 05-12-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:47 PM

The Metalcloak kit runs $1649.00. Comes with the OME Dakar leafs, the OME shocks, Metalcloak's upper and lower adjustable control arms, along with their true dual rate coils, extended front and rear brake lines, replacement bump stops, and sway bar disconnects.

I also buy American made where I can help it but I gotta admit, the Old Man Emu shocks were something I was pretty set on using.

How do you like the Rusty's kit? Did you add control arms, disconnects, brake lines?

*Edit - Forgot to mention it also comes with a big beefy chromo steel adjustable track bar.

Last edited by scbrooks87; 05-13-2015 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Adding more info
Old 05-13-2015, 09:18 AM
CF Veteran

The Metalcloak kit runs $1649.00. Comes with the OME Dakar leafs, the OME shocks, Metalcloak's upper and lower control arms, along with their true dual rate coils, extended front and rear brake lines, replacement bump stops, and sway bar disconnects.

I also buy American made where I can help it but I gotta admit, the Old Man Emu shocks were something I was pretty set on using.

How do you like the Rusty's kit? Did you add control arms, disconnects,
brake lines?

The fact is with a 3-3 1/2" lift kit most of those aren't needed or help that much. The U/LCA's need to be Adj. to help if you change anything around and yes I added HD Adj. U/LCA's on mine (these are large and very HD) and replaced an older adj. track bar with a new HD Double Shear one. My sway bar disconnects are adj. also to cover any size of lift (Rustys).

For brake lines I used rubber coated over braided SS lines and with Rustys coils you get a choice of the weight of the ones you want, either for a 3" std. weight ride or one made for a winch/bumper combo that is a heaver spring both same cost included. Everyone I have spoke to all say these springs have a very good ride, the leafs are where the ride comes the most from.

Several yrs ago I had a set of OME shocks on my 04 WJ and didn't care for them sold them and bought Bilstein for it also my DD. The XJ has Bilstein on it as well but different model.

I added a lot of parts when I went to a 4 1/2" lift using the Rustys leafs/coils and Adj. Aluminum Spacers, Boomerang Shackles. It still rides very well if not better than before and have had zero issues in almost 4 yrs now.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:27 PM

The fact is with a 3-3 1/2" lift kit most of those aren't needed or help that much. The U/LCA's need to be Adj. to help if you change anything around and yes I added HD Adj. U/LCA's on mine (these are large and very HD) and replaced an older adj. track bar with a new HD Double Shear one. My sway bar disconnects are adj. also to cover any size of lift (Rustys).

For brake lines I used rubber coated over braided SS lines and with Rustys coils you get a choice of the weight of the ones you want, either for a 3" std. weight ride or one made for a winch/bumper combo that is a heaver spring both same cost included. Everyone I have spoke to all say these springs have a very good ride, the leafs are where the ride comes the most from.

Several yrs ago I had a set of OME shocks on my 04 WJ and didn't care for them sold them and bought Bilstein for it also my DD. The XJ has Bilstein on it as well but different model.

I added a lot of parts when I went to a 4 1/2" lift using the Rustys leafs/coils and Adj. Aluminum Spacers, Boomerang Shackles. It still rides very well if not better than before and have had zero issues in almost 4 yrs now.
Sounds pretty sweet man! I bet it's an awesome setup. I'll be able to comment more about mine once I get to drive it more. I'm waiting to install my SYE before I drive it just cause I was getting some vibes.