Bought One! 99 Sport. It begins, so do the questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Default Bought One! 99 Sport. It begins, so do the questions

Ok,

So i picked up my first XJ tonight. It is a 99 with 169 miles on it. It is in fair condition, but needs some TLC in a few areas. It has the chrysler 8.25 rear on it, and is lifted somewhat and has brand new 31's.

Steering feels not so straight, so I am wondering if it needs an alignment.

Is there a good thread of links for newbs??

Anyway, here are the things I know I need to take care of so far..

Didnt see it until after I had already bought it, but driver side floor pan seems to have a small couple maybe dime size rust holes. Im gonna pull the carpet soon and see just how bad it is. I have a nice Hobart welder I can fix all of this up with.

Guy says AC works, and needs a good recharge, but when turned on, it blows out the defrost vents instead of the front. He said it needs a blower switch. Or something. Is this a common issue?

There is a good squeak from the rear when going over bumps. Almost sounds like the leaf springs, but maybe it could be the back lift gate??

When putting the vehicle into drive, it hits kind of hard when it goes in. Feel some sort of clank in driveline when letting off gas and then hitting gas again. Almost like loose driveshaft or something. I didnt really notice it when I test drove it.

Driver door is rubbing on the front fender when opening and has bent the front fender inward some. I dont know if the door hinges need something or what, but is this common? What is the fix?

For now thats about all I can think of. Cant wait to start wrenching on this.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:30 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 93civEJ1
Ok,

So i picked up my first XJ tonight. It is a 99 with 169 miles on it. It is in fair condition, but needs some TLC in a few areas. It has the chrysler 8.25 rear on it, and is lifted somewhat and has brand new 31's.

Steering feels not so straight, so I am wondering if it needs an alignment.

Is there a good thread of links for newbs??

Anyway, here are the things I know I need to take care of so far..

Didnt see it until after I had already bought it, but driver side floor pan seems to have a small couple maybe dime size rust holes. Im gonna pull the carpet soon and see just how bad it is. I have a nice Hobart welder I can fix all of this up with.

Guy says AC works, and needs a good recharge, but when turned on, it blows out the defrost vents instead of the front. He said it needs a blower switch. Or something. Is this a common issue?

There is a good squeak from the rear when going over bumps. Almost sounds like the leaf springs, but maybe it could be the back lift gate??

When putting the vehicle into drive, it hits kind of hard when it goes in. Feel some sort of clank in driveline when letting off gas and then hitting gas again. Almost like loose driveshaft or something. I didnt really notice it when I test drove it.

Driver door is rubbing on the front fender when opening and has bent the front fender inward some. I dont know if the door hinges need something or what, but is this common? What is the fix?

For now thats about all I can think of. Cant wait to start wrenching on this.
Welcome!
1- for loose steering check all your steering components

2- check your u joints for the clunk, that sounds like a u joint, but could be in the trans as well. Or the rear end

3- for the sqeak check your springs/ shocks/ sway bar

4- grab the bottom of your door and try to pick it up, if its the hinges you should feel it/ see it

As for the rest il leave that for others to answer, but welcome! And enjoy the madness of owning an xj
Old 05-11-2015, 01:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the XJ owners Group!

I also have a 99 Sport best year BTW for the XJ's of them all, best of all the old and none of the 00/01 BS on them.

One of the features here that is great is the Search field, it is your friend and can supply tons of answers to all your questions (well almost).

Oh yeah post some photos of your new XJ before you start on it for all to see your progress.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:21 PM

Thanks I started a build thread.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:40 PM

welcome to the world of XJ's....all downhill from here